Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
640 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...

· Registered
640 Posts
Those moral issues Lucky Jim keeps giving are some of the hardest to deal with. If any of you watched season 1 of The Colony... it was an issue there as well... and they KNEW it was just a show. I think all of us are decent people and would say... take in the little girl... give food to the Nam vet... RIGHT NOW... while we sit in comfort in front of our computers. But what about 3-4 months of living hard and struggling day by day? What if your little girl or granddaughter is already on reduced rations? Will you still take in another mouth to feed? And.. as preppermama suggested... how do you know she isn't bait? A large well-stocked group might surround the place and clear it room by room... and either find dead parents and help the little girl or take out the guys ready to ambush you (but then what do you do with the girl?). A smaller less-prepared group runs not only the risk of reduced rations, the the risk of losing a group member... or worse, getting a wounded group member that you can't treat but can't leave behind. Plus... you risk losing precious ammo. It's a real moral dilemma that we can theorize about all day long... but your physical reality, at the time it happens, is what matters. You may feel bad passing right by her... but if it saves your little girl... you will need to decide if that is enough to keep your soul intact and allow you to sleep at night?

Let's be real... in a SHTF situation, a large number of people are going to suffer... men, women, children, grandparents, even cute little kittens... but you can't save them all... and sometimes... you can't save any. It's actually going on in your world right now. We see homeless, the mentally disturbed, and suffering children around all the time. When you have the spare cash, some of you give. Others can't afford it because of their current financial situation. I just retired from the USAF and went 4 months without a job. Each week that passed... I was less willing to give to those in need. By month four... I drove right past them. I couldn't mentally get past the fact that the 10 or 20 dollars I had in my wallet was the next meal for my family, not the homeless guy/gal/child/etc. A SHTF situation will be much worse... because then, I won't be able to take my 20 and get some cheap meals at walmart. I'll be stuck with whatever food I have left or can scavenge. Now... upgrade that to a TEOTWAWKI situation and I can guarantee each of you will be group focused... or maybe even "every man for himself" focused. Starving kids and Vets will be the last thing on you mind.

There... I hope I gave everyone something to think about.

Reactions: Rocky and shotlady
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.