Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 4 surviving Doolittle Tokyo Raiders will share their final toast Saturday Nov 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM. Streamed live.

After WWII was over the Raiders held a reunion annually and drank a toast to those who had died.
The plan was when there was just one man left he would open a special bottle of brandy that has been kept all these years and drink one final toast to his comrades.
Now that there are only 4 left, at their last reunion they decided not to wait for the last man but do it now.

For those who don't know what this is about, in 1942, at one of America's darkest hours, when the Japanese were sweeping across vast areas of the Pacific in total victory, 80 men took off on an almost impossible (some would say suicidal) mission. What they did brought hope to America, when we needed it the most.

These 80 men, heroes all, flew land based Army bombers off the deck of a Navy aircraft carrier in stormy seas and proceeded on course to Tokyo, knowing that they would not have enough fuel to make it to safety, dropping their bombs on target. The damage caused by their bombs was small, the effect it had on American morale was huge.

Go to the Air Force website here National Museum of the USAF - Doolittle Raiders Final Toast
There you will find lots of information, pictures, and a link to watch the ceremony. I will be watching, will you?

The official website of the Raiders is here http://www.doolittleraider.com

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
It wasn't just a boost to our moral, it showed them that we can hit them at home and seriously undermined their moral. Excellent post RPD, thanks for the heads up and the link!

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
we should all go and show support for these american Hero's god bless them their brothers in arms and families to you we owe a debt that cannot be paid, Hooyah

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Thank you for making me aware of this. This should be required learning in school. GOD BLESS them and their families.
I will try to view, I will definately have a drink and Silently thank them. 6pm Saturday.
DOOLITTLE TOKYO RAIDERS.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Growing up in the 1950's WWII was still fresh, especially in Hollywood movies and that new invention - television.
I must have been maybe 10 years old, maybe younger, when I read the book Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, written by one of the Raiders. Even then I enjoyed the study of military history.
In a war where courageous acts were many, the Doolittle Raid stands out near the top.
There are many videos of this on youtube. Just enter jimmy doolittle raid in the search box.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've got this excellent book about the Doolittle Raid-

They had the sheer guts to bomb Japan in broad daylight and fly on to friendly bases in China at the near-limit of their range, many crews having to bail out in the dark over China when their tanks ran dry.
The Japs were caught totally napping and felt humiliated and disgraced, and at least one Jap officer killed himself as a way of apologising to the Emperor.
The book traces their movements on the ground in China dodging Jap patrols etc, and preppers will find it very interesting as the men had virtually no basic survival items of any kind, not even a simple phrasebook so that they could talk to friendly villagers.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Air Force feed restored

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I did not get to watch it, . . . but in my heart, . . . these men will always stand tall, . . . the book "30 seconds over Tokyo" made a lasting impression on a young man who was not sure where, what, or who he wanted to be, . . . and I'm thankful that it did.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 23 Posts