Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Amish will have it made. Self supporting and not considered a threat to the government. They will be the last to be rounded up, if ever. I suspect they will go on like they always have. I should grow a beard & buy a horse & buggy.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
They will be slaughtered. Do you think if SHTF that the hoards will just walk on by . Way to much faith in mankind.
Groups like the Amish survive because others protect them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The Amish will be targeted for their food. They may be ok if they can make deals with others to protect them,but I would say they will not let any help them. They need to be protect to save a lot of people with their knowledge.

·
Registered
335 Posts
In my opinion they will be the first people hit and killed. Why? They are pacifists. You could walk in shoot them and take whatever they have. I respect their work ethics, but when it comes to the peace/love thing - it makes them a target.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my opinion they will be the first people hit and killed. Why? They are pacifists. You could walk in shoot them and take whatever they have. I respect their work ethics, but when it comes to the peace/love thing - it makes them a target.
I suspect you are right and that totally sucks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I admit I've laughed at them before but I was wrong. I really don't care why they do what they do or what they believe or don't but they happen to know quite a bit about something I don't. That is how things were done over 100 years ago. Matter of fact, many of the traditional day to day processes go back much farther. They have been doing these things for 300 years! Apparently it works, evidenced by the fact that they are still here.
Not long ago say the beginning of the 20th century there weren't that many stores. The few stores that existed didn't have all that much. Even if they did the people couldn't afford to buy stuff if the stores had it. They either made it or did without. I don't think there was much complaining about "doing without". Obviously they had what they needed.
My power goes out and I bitch about the AC not working etc. I'm addicted to comfort & convenience. I'm not suggesting we do without when there is no need but I really want to learn how to do without when it becomes necessary.
So here's the plan... I'm going to find some Amish people to exploit. Exploiting sounds a wee bit rough but it's true. They have something I want and I'm willing to pay whatever is necessary to get it. They are business people just like everyone else. They have an item of value to sell so I see no problem in negotiating for it. Everybody wins.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually, I think the Amish would be targets. In the event of an EMP they would be the people with the stuff that still works. Let's think about how they currently manage to get through every day life without electricity or anything solid state. Their tools would suddenly hold more value than your Dewalt power drill. Their buggy worth more than your SUV.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The definition of a pacifist is a person who will not fight but lives around people that will.

The only reason these people exist is because of true patriots.

IMO

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am all for pacifism, if every one else is for pacifism. If I can resolve a conflict without throwing a punch, I will, but, life isn't like that. There is a lot about the Amish to admire, mostly their self sufficiency, but much of their culture comes at the price of personal freedom, and I couldn't live that subservient. I have lived near the Amish, and they are people with problems like every one else. When the SHTF, even they will have to adjust to not using propane, not borrowing cell phones and not hitching rides.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The Amish, and their skills, will be in great demand. They are the resource not what they have. If you kill them then you will not be able to get at what they have.
I have a great respect for anyone who is a true pacifist but the Amish are much more than just pacifists. They know how to farm, build tools, furnishings, homes and everything else with no power tools at all. Those skills will be in high demand and they will give their knowledge to those who need it but not to those who demand it with force. The tools they use are valuable but without the skills that they have the tools are just stuff. Very few people would know how to use the old tools or even what they are capable of so the Amish will be just fine.

Reactions: JPARIZ
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.