Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought a donkey would be useful to carry items, and a mule also. But with a mule, I know those are big enough to ride like a horse. I believe they are both pretty hardy animals, so it sounds like they would me a good prepper asset.

I've heard that both of them can be good pets too. My aunt also has a donkey, he is soo sweet and will follow you anywhere if he knows you will pet him.

Does anyone have donkeys or mules that would like to share some info?

**Sorry for my many threads over different livestock, just trying to get a good idea about which ones would be the best ones to have, you know?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't own any but wanted to share one other value most people ignore... if things get real bad, you can always eat it. :)

I had a good friend that raised them in Oklahoma and he learned the expensive way that he had to maintain some type of blood-related paperwork on them to both keep and to sell them. I don't remember which blood-borne disease it was... but it's supposed to be transferable between all equines. Anyway... he didn't have the paperwork, sold them... and then got slapped a hefty fee for not having the paperwork. End result, after the fee and the cost to get the blood work post-sale, his profit barely covered his gas to transport them to the buyer. Anyway, I just wanted to share the little bit I know since I don't know how they taste.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
donkeys are cute until you need them to work- like carrying shit specially if you need to hustle and get someplace with out bother.
Mules are better than a horse or burrow.
horses see to the side, lack front vision.
mules are great trail animals as their eyes are set forward and they are more sure footed for this reason.
a mule will have a strong personality and take more patience to train, but are worth the work. they are also very protective should there be predators a round.

equine, eat the back strap first, its the filet mignon of horse. the rest of the meat will be tough and gamy, but eat it anyway:shock:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't own any but wanted to share one other value most people ignore... if things get real bad, you can always eat it. :)

I had a good friend that raised them in Oklahoma and he learned the expensive way that he had to maintain some type of blood-related paperwork on them to both keep and to sell them. I don't remember which blood-borne disease it was... but it's supposed to be transferable between all equines. Anyway... he didn't have the paperwork, sold them... and then got slapped a hefty fee for not having the paperwork. End result, after the fee and the cost to get the blood work post-sale, his profit barely covered his gas to transport them to the buyer. Anyway, I just wanted to share the little bit I know since I don't know how they taste.
Is this in both donkeys and mules? I've never heard of that.. Crazy! Do you know if that is only around Oklahoma or everywhere?
donkeys are cute until you need them to work- like carrying shit specially if you need to hustle and get someplace with out bother.
Mules are better than a horse or burrow.
horses see to the side, lack front vision.
mules are great trail animals as their eyes are set forward and they are more sure footed for this reason.
a mule will have a strong personality and take more patience to train, but are worth the work. they are also very protective should there be predators a round.

equine, eat the back strap first, its the filet mignon of horse. the rest of the meat will be tough and gamy, but eat it anyway:shock:
Thanks for the info! Now that I think about it, my aunt's donkey doesn't always like to go back into his pen. You need a feed bucket or he won't go. There is no pushing, you might as well be pushing a wall! haha

Are mules cheaper than horses or about the same?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I thought it was a Federal requirement... something to do with interstate transfer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
103 Posts
my partents have horses, they have to get several test/shots a year, they have to bring vaccine proof when they go to the horse camp ground.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
im not sure about costs. as i only dealt wit high end arabs, race horses an show appaloossas. won the 79 winter nationals with simcoses'kitty cat. i was 8 high point youth to 15yrs old. ive never tried to rain or break a mule. they have rfdtv- rual farm somethingoranothertv i call it the horse channel, they have mule programs and lotsa horse programs. certainly you can watch thier programs online.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my partents have horses, they have to get several test/shots a year, they have to bring vaccine proof when they go to the horse camp ground.
Ya, I knew that if you tend to take your horse to places where other horses would be, or events, they have to have their shots. Which is good, so it won't spread disease

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im not sure about costs. as i only dealt wit high end arabs, race horses an show appaloossas. won the 79 winter nationals with simcoses'kitty cat. i was 8 high point youth to 15yrs old. ive never tried to rain or break a mule. they have rfdtv- rual farm somethingoranothertv i call it the horse channel, they have mule programs and lotsa horse programs. certainly you can watch thier programs online.
Wow that's awesome!! And I will check that out :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have a donkey. guess he is 5 years old. i got him to guard a few sheep. he does what he wants when he wants. he is cool thou, follows me around, that is...if he wants to . .

havent lost a lamb to a coyote since i got him

as for as price, ive seen young pasture donkeys go for 20 to 100 bucks at sale barns here.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
In addition to coyotes, Mule's are an excellent deterrent for feral hogs. The wife and I spent just over 8 months down in the Piney Woods of deep east Texas three years ago trying to see if we wanted to live there. The in-laws had allowed my wife's mother to accept two mules from a family that was moving. Two months later, after I got down there, I had to explain to my over educated, under performing brother in law why the feral hogs had suddenly disappeared.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Modern day horses are a health care night mare . They require more care than you children.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is all I think I know about mules. I think you breed a male horse to a female donkey to get a mule and the mules are sterile. Is that right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts