Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried keeping domestic turkeys? We have a decent mix of pasture and wooded land to keep some free range birds. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them? They will be supplemental to chickens, not trying to replace them for eggs and such.

Reactions: 65mustang

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chickens go in the chicken house at night. Turkeys head for the trees to be eaten. They are a little different to keep. The toms get mean too. You have to watch them.
I assumed the toms would be more territorial than a rooster. We have lots of hawks around bc of the hay fields but there are also wild turkeys that come around time to time. Had 8 in our yard/garden just an hour or so ago. Seeing them just got me thinking about getting some poults and having them free range come spring/late winter. Thinking out loud mainly and collecting experiences from others

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try some Guinea hens, tasty and make good watchdogs too.
Has anyone here tried keeping domestic turkeys? We have a decent mix of pasture and wooded land to keep some free range birds. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them? They will be supplemental to chickens, not trying to replace them for eggs and such.
I've thought about turkeys and wondered the same. I have hens that free range over a rocky pasteur area and a woods. I've managed to suppress predators and learned how to keep them with minimal loss to predation, but I've wondered about having some meatier birds like turkeys.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try some Guinea hens, tasty and make good watchdogs too.
Neighboring farms have had guineas in the past but I had no idea you could eat them. I know they're insanely noisy and great pest control but that adds a little more value knowing that

·
Super Moderator
9,162 Posts
For what it's worth. While I have no animals to raise, I gave it a thought years ago. My first thought was chickens. I actually went out to the county fair and talked to them about raising them. One thing I noticed while visiting, was the noise. This alone gave me pause. Continuing with my trek thru the fair, rabbits caught my attention. The lack of noise it what really got me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For what it's worth. While I have no animals to raise, I gave it a thought years ago. My first thought was chickens. I actually went out to the county fair and talked to them about raising them. One thing I noticed while visiting, was the noise. This alone gave me pause. Continuing with my trek thru the fair, rabbits caught my attention. The lack of noise it what really got me.
We do have chickens and want to expand to rabbits eventually. We have some friends that raise them on their stead and have great success. Great source of protein and easily sustainable. I have a lot of research to do and a lot to learn before I venture down that road. I'm pretty comfortable in raising and keeping birds tho.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hens are very quite and remarkably efficient. I've kept a small flock of between 4-11 hens for the past 5 years. Four-five birds lay enough eggs for my family of 4, and from spring-mid fall they would rather forage than eat feed. I let them free-range in mixed grass/woods from dawn to dusk. I open their door in the mornings, close it at night. It did take me awhile to figure out the predator situation but I'm content now. I'm trying to maximize the eggs / feed issue now and minimize work required.

·
Administrator
15,382 Posts
We have kept chickens for the eggs for 25 years now.
Although the wife has learned how to process hens for the pot, it is just so much easier to make a trip to the grocery in town.
It’s a good skill to know, however.

Reactions: Annie

·
Super Moderator
3,662 Posts
I know someone who pulls the skin, feathers and all to make it easier to home can chicken. Seems like a waste to me, I throw it all (not the feathers) in my crockpot and make stock.

·
Registered
10,834 Posts
You need ducks young man. They are much more fun and durable than chickens and turkeys etc.They will eat anything and the eggs are very rich.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need ducks young man. They are much more fun and durable than chickens and turkeys etc.They will eat anything and the eggs are very rich.
I read the article that I believe you actually posted somewhere here at some point. Too many good points made to refute. They’re definitely in consideration as well. We’re just looking to expand the scope of our homestead and have the room to do so.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know someone who pulls the skin, feathers and all to make it easier to home can chicken. Seems like a waste to me, I throw it all (not the feathers) in my crockpot and make stock.
I’d have to agree! No need to waste by pulling the skin. Feathers obviously but toss the rest in

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have kept chickens for the eggs for 25 years now.
Although the wife has learned how to process hens for the pot, it is just so much easier to make a trip to the grocery in town.
It’s a good skill to know, however.
I agree on the ease of running to the store. We process most of our stored foods ourselves from the garden so we’re no stranger to spending a weekend running canners and such. It’s work but we enjoy the results and I guess it’s a sense of pride to provide our children with quality foods we grew/procured ourselves.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,790 Posts
Turkeys are mean animals. Gotta watch the kids around them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turkeys are mean animals. Gotta watch the kids around them.
Good to know! Especially since we have one (soon to be two) little ones running around. Thanks!

Reactions: Annie
1 - 18 of 18 Posts