Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been reading about what dogs would be take. If they would take them. All kinds of stuff. Any way just wanted to post my thoughts on this and see what everyone thinks. First off I am talking about having to bug out for a long time. Your basic akc registered breeds are all out for me. Show breeders have pretty much ruined them. I also know my dogs have to multi functional. Going to be hard enough without dogs that can't carry their own weight and do their part. For any serious prepper that plans on taking a dog you need to look at working lines of dogs. I would personally take 3 to 4 dogs with me. I would have to have dogs that can hunt for me and them. Dogs that can defend themselves and my family. With this being said I would look at staghounds and bandogs. Reasons staghound they are proven hunters. They hunt everything from rabbits to boar. Mainly sighthound but some can use their nose to for hot tracks. Very gamey and will chase and catch most animals. During a bug out period any animal is food. The bandogs for protective reasons and also to help the stags with whatever large game they catch. If I don't have to use a bullet why would I. I feel with this combination you could save a lot of very precious ammunition. Now why so many dogs. Well simply cause these dogs jobs would be as dangerous as it was for my family to live. This way I could breed for a long time combing the best of what I have with 4 you can breed without have to introduce new blood for a very long time. I also feel with this pack they should be able to feed everyone and themselves plus protect themselves and the family. Now neither of these dogs are registerable through the akc. They are both a purpose bred dog. That could do a lot for someone that is bugging out and having to live on what they have. Now both of these dogs are large so they eat a lot that means I hunt a lot. They would be earning their keep. I wouldn't carry water for them or food. They carry their own they better have a recall because to me these would be tools. Depending the situation puppies could be used for bartering later on. Lets hear everyone else's thoughts. Dogs are a passion of mine so this is a good topic for me to start with.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just wanted to ask what you thought about Dobermans. I am not talking early American dobermans that were rife with problems. I am talking about responsibly bred American Dobermans. I bought two because my wife is alone alot and the shear intimidation of a well trained Doberman is amazing no protection work just well trained. I know they can track and have been used to hunt in the past but I don't know anyone that uses them for this anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I like Dobermans. But from what I seen show breeders ruin everything they breed. Most of your Dobermans don't have the nerves they once had. Not saying the intimidation factor isn't there cause it is. Just not my cup of tea. If I were to get one I would have to go with a working line. I know they can track but there is a difference in being trained to track and trained to track to hunt and just being bred to hunt and using training to refine what is already in place. Breeding has a lot to do with how a dog acts and how easy it is to train. Like in my choices the stag is bred to hunt a good bred stag not much training needed to hunt and run down prey. Bandog is bred to protect and catch large game like boars not much training there either. But that is why we all have opinions and if they suit you good. Have fun with them and train them how you see fit. As intimidating as they are though I promise a 120 pound fit bandog is as easily that intimidating and isn't rank driven.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
tlewis, first, paragraphs are you friends buddy! I actually agree with what Apex said; Dobermans are fine, fine animals and a well trained, disciplined Doberman is a force in and of itself. We had one when I was very young. I loved that dog and he was fiercely protective of me and my mother. If he didn't know you, he would lay on the floor and just stare you down, wouldn't let you walk around the house unless he was told it was "okay".

Many, many moons ago, I was an Animal Control Officer. Briefly thank God. The only dog where I ever went "crap" was a Doberman. I actually had to call one of the old timers to deal with it. I learned a great trick I won't disclose here, because most Dobermans are well trained, but it was simple, quick and the dog and I walked to the van on a leash like we had been best friends for forever.

Excellent choice for a good, versatile dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not saying Dobermans aren't great dogs. I do really like the breed. I just think there are better choices. Now as I stated a working line of Dobies could be a great choice as far as protection goes. Your show bred line well not so much show breeeders tend to breed softer dogs then what the dog is supposed to be. Now on to the hunting subject its easier to train a dog to hunt that is bred for hunting than it is to train one not bred to hunt. I promise there is a difference between track work and hunting. He asked my opinion on the breed and I gave it. Not the worse breed out there to choose but in my opinion not the best. Honestly for and all around protection hunting guardian take a look at the dogo argentine. Probably a better choice then what I would take but I don't like the white color. You still have to look for working lines and were tested to work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I worked at a gun dog kennel years ago. The founder started the kennel in 1932. He had some fine field dogs. His comment to me was, and he had proof "if a dog can smell it can hunt". Dogs aren't as specialized as many make 'em out to be.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a Catahoula he was a nice dog. Yes any dog that smell can hunt. But proof in the pudding some dogs that are bred for it just do it better. In a survival situation I want the best odds possible. I would want one from working hunting lines to better my odds. Now as for the protection aspect. Most big men if they wanted to can defend against your average size dog. That's why I want a larger all around type dog. If I am going to have a dog for protection I don't want it to just be intimidating. I want it to be able to kill whatever it is protecting its family from. Not bite and run off some intruder but leave them laying in a puddle where they met the dog. We are talking about survival. Intimidation isn't going to slow most people if they are starving and you have the only good supply of food they have seen. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Just how I see it sorry if I offend anyone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a Catahoula he was a nice dog. Yes any dog that smell can hunt. But proof in the pudding some dogs that are bred for it just do it better. In a survival situation I want the best odds possible. I would want one from working hunting lines to better my odds. Now as for the protection aspect. Most big men if they wanted to can defend against your average size dog. That's why I want a larger all around type dog. If I am going to have a dog for protection I don't want it to just be intimidating. I want it to be able to kill whatever it is protecting its family from. Not bite and run off some intruder but leave them laying in a puddle where they met the dog. We are talking about survival. Intimidation isn't going to slow most people if they are starving and you have the only good supply of food they have seen. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Just how I see it sorry if I offend anyone.
In that context I would want a German Shorthair pointer, great hunter and natural protection skills. Would be easy to train in both cases.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
574 Posts
allright well seems like weve got different views about what Dobermans are and what they arnt. Dobermans are working dogs specifically bred to track fight and obey a dog that doesn't fit that description doesn't meet the basic prerequisites of being a Dobe. Second they are one of a very small list of domesticated animals that were bred to attack and fight humans I want to remind you size can be a disadvantage they were bred to be agile and fast which is where attack dogs gain their power to take down and agility gives them the ability to strike and retreat because in a 1on1 protracted fight any dog even large dogs dont really stand a chance versus a motivated person even a woman armed with a knife should be able to take care of a dog suffering only some lacerations the biggest value of any protection dog is its Intimidation the dog would be of more value for the threat value if it remained alive to draw my attention away from you. trust me yes your dog is gonna bite my arm and maybe even take me to the ground and its gonna hurt quite a bit but I aint a hog with limited mobility or a slow ponderous bear and his lifespan is gonna be about 3s if he bites and holds like the hunting dogs I know are trained to do(hogdogs). I can only speak for myself and its a little unfair Ive been trained to deal with attack dogs with nothing but by bare hands if need be, jeez I hate to say that seems like I am trying to be a badass but its the truth. If youve been to SERE C(Survive Escape Resist Evade) you know what I am talking about :wink:

That said I respect your opinion about dogs and you seem very well informed about dogs and I would like to learn how to keep my two dobes alive in the field if I cant keep feeding them kibble everyday because I know they arnt hunters right now they are loyal and would defend me or the wife to the death if someone threatened us I am just defending a breed that seems to be very misunderstood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have a problem with Dobies at all. Just not my personal choice. With training they could be taught to hunt. They are very fast and can track. For me I would just prefer a dog bred for it. For protection I want a little more powerful with endurance and speed. I am sure you have great Dobies and probably don't have one that got watered down by breeders. That is my biggest problems with anything that is akc registered. Most are watered down from what they once were by the show breeders. I mean just look at the English Mastiff. Used to be a great breed now its a breed with more genetic problems than you can count. As for protection work do a google search for bandogs. This is what I would take. I really like the chimera kennel and midgard mastiff websites. These dogs are large powerful still keep endurance and good family values. They are bred to have fight prey and defense drives. Not to have rank drive which is the drive where dog could test you for the Alpha position. Like I have stated this is just my opinion. But I love dogs of all breeds and do a lot of research and reading about them and histories on all kinds of dogs. Now I sorry but I don't consider little dogs to be dogs. Except for maybe the jagd and jack russel but you tell them their little dogs they won't believe you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So about how to keep a dog alive in the field without a constant supply of kibble???? I really don't hunt with dogs I enjoy predator stalking dogs are just to noisy so I take them hiking for short durations close to a vehicle and bring their food/water with me spoiled little babies. Honestly I don't think the rank thing ever really entered into for me or the wife.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dogs don't hunt by stealth. Dogs track and run down their prey. They bay it like hog hunting or put something up a tree like a ****. A pair of dogs should be able to overtake most prey. This where I like the stag because they will run down prey and kill most of it. Or at least catch it like hogs so you can get there flip it and dispatch the prize. I guess if you wanted to keep your dogs a live work on their prey drive. Even games like tug of war and spring poles help with this. Teach them what they can and cannot hunt. When I hunted more we used a cage **** or a caught hog to start mock hunts to teach them to hunt. Hunting in a controlled way. Like get you a hog drag it through the woods then tie it to a tree. Teach them to follow the track. Their reward is getting to find and "play" with the prey item. Not all dogs have hunt some have more than others. But most dogs will hunt for there owner if you have a bond. Good site go to HOME search Dobermans you will see what I am talking about. I love that site for information about hunting dogs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok I AM A BREEDER AND SHOWINGDOGS IS MY BIG HOBBIE
lol i show rotties (rottweilers) i have 6 my dogs look after my wife while im away they also have won me a lot of medels over the years there great working dogs and can carry a lot of weight in the side bags my wife made i also have 2 dogs who do carting so in a b.o.s they would carry a lot of my preps
they have also over the years made me enough to have a yrs worth of supplies and in anoth 5 yrs will have made me enough for a smallholding up north so yeh love dogs and if trained right they wont let you down.
when i first moved into this house i came home and my dog was sat there with a 20yr old sitting himself as my dog snarled at him was great to see!!

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Rotties are my choice but I only rescue. Basically they can carry 20% of their body weight in saddlebags & cart 300% of their body weight.

I don't expect my dogs to put their lives on the line for me but I'm sure each I have right now would. I want them to warn me of a problem & I'll take care of it.

If you just want to hunt small game then get a jack Russell terrier. Hog hunting on the other hand you want a tracking dog & a catch dog.

Everyone will be in a different situation & feel different needs for what they want a dog for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rotts are another breed I like. I glad yours work like they are supposed to. But 90 percent of the ones I have seen over here are huge non workable messes of a dog that they should be. For sure Jacks are awesome for small game heck I have even heard of people using them on hogs. Never seen but have heard. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well like any animal food should be rationed to many people over eat endulge in big macs fries and crap like that i know its bad in the u.s like it is in the uk just look at the next gen thats leaving school lazy xbox playing cheeky gits my kids my dogs and myself excersize daily thats your best prep ever
food is great but the willpower not to eat the lot hmmmmmm i think some people need to prep there more !!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts