Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big buddy heater, but man this thing is hard to light. I use a 20pd tank. It takes like 100 clicks to get the pilot light going. I got it last year and it did that from the start.
Now in my second winter, and probably forth tank of use, it won't light other than a small flame while holding down the pilot light, then it goes out as soon as i let go. I use a 8 to 10 foot mr buddy hose to hook it up to the tank. anyone else had that much trouble starting one up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a big buddy heater, but man this thing is hard to light. I use a 20pd tank. It takes like 100 clicks to get the pilot light going. I got it last year and it did that from the start.
Now in my second winter, and probably forth tank of use, it won't light other than a small flame while holding down the pilot light, then it goes out as soon as i let go. I use a 8 to 10 foot mr buddy hose to hook it up to the tank. anyone else had that much trouble starting one up?
well, i may have fixed it,, not sure yet,, but it did light up and had a bigger pilot flame,,, i went on youtube and a lady cleaned out the part that puts out the propane with a qtip looking thing..i got a qtip, pulled most of the cotton so that it would fit, and had a little alcohol on it, it went down about three inches and twisted it around a little.....i didnt see much dirt on it, but it lights way way better now. probably a bug or something got in it even when it was new... oh well... im warm now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was about to throw it away since i'd gotten two of them at tractor supply when they were on sale for like 79 bux each. i think these could be used to cook with if you have a cowboy pot hanger over it. im still glad i have them. happy new year to all ya'll.....

·
Registered
preppn&homesteadn
23 Posts
wondering...advice...should i spend the time to restart a heater that 25 years ago made me (gas) affected after many hours in it?

appologize to u, if the grammar is off

·
Registered
286 Posts
These things last forever if you buy replacement parts for them and keep them going. Going on 3 years so far and on my second thermocoupler. Stays in storage for backup such as few days ago diesel heater fuel line gelled up in 40 below zero temperatures. You can even replace the ceramic in them. Be sure to test fire them a month in advance before needing them to order parts on time if you don't keep spare parts. They can run about 3 to 4 days on 20lb propane tank, to bad they don't have thermostat on them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good to know. Mine is still new in the box. Thought I would need it last year but we got lucky.
Mine rarely gets used. Other than the thermo coupler what other parts would you suggest a guy buy? No need for them now (touch wood) but you never know with this supply chain s*** show.

P.S. This response was meant fo Weldman.

Godspeed

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine rarely gets used. Other than the thermo coupler what other parts would you suggest a guy buy? No need for them now (touch wood) but you never know with this supply chain s*** show.

P.S. This response was meant fo Weldman.

Godspeed
I would say just the thermocoupler, cause you can always light it with lighter if igniter goes out. Supposedly it's recommended for fuel filter on it but I have yet to have that problem. Use to use mine daily for 2 years, but during second year I seen 30 below zero ice started growing on the inside of the door and window frames then the bed frame with it on high setting in my truck camper, so next day I installed a diesel heater. Hit 40 below zero Fahrenheit with 60 below zero wind chill the next week. Camper is solid fiberglass unit I spray foam insulated then put cellulose insulation in it so it's not uninsulated. This 3rd year I have only used it once when diesel heater went down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to follow up, cleaning out the part that put out the propane with a qtip w/ alcohol did the trick. it fires right up and has a bigger flame. not sure why it needed cleaning since its still pretty new, but im glad it's working now. I bought a thing off ebay that was like a little plate that you can hook on the cage and use it to set a can of beans or something on,, but it seems to only with with the little buddy, not the big buddy.. I bet if you had a cowboy pot that hangs over a fire, you could hang it over a big buddy and you could cook with it, or some other kind of freestanding rack over it. thanks guys, stay warm,

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought my buddy heater after the sub zero temp's and power outage. back in february.i could of used it then.i also bought a fan that sits on top of wood heaters. It works great with the buddy heater.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just to follow up, cleaning out the part that put out the propane with a qtip w/ alcohol did the trick. it fires right up and has a bigger flame. not sure why it needed cleaning since its still pretty new, but im glad it's working now. I bought a thing off ebay that was like a little plate that you can hook on the cage and use it to set a can of beans or something on,, but it seems to only with with the little buddy, not the big buddy.. I bet if you had a cowboy pot that hangs over a fire, you could hang it over a big buddy and you could cook with it, or some other kind of freestanding rack over it. thanks guys, stay warm,
Had the same experience, bought it, fired it up then put it away in storage in the original packaging for a year or so. Took it out and couldn’t light it up. Odd but it works now so all is good.

Godspeed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts