Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So somehow I have managed a partial tear in the tendon that attach the extensor muscles to my elbow. Hence how a full coffee cup can deliver a full on whoopin' lately. End result, I'm not suposed to lift anything with my right arm that requires full extension of my right arm, or has much weight to it. Any twisting of the wrist is to be avoided as well.

Guess it's time to work on the Off Hand!::rambo::

Please Lord, help us keep the feces out of the centrifuge for a few weeks...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
See an orthopedics. They can likely repair it. If you do not this injury will scar. You will eventually make it worse and the fix far less than a fix now. Take it from a guy who has a history of knee injuries. Playing through the pain is an old fools advice.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PT, I did see my Ortho today. The tear is large enough to be uncomfortable but not so large to scope and stitch. Of course, I have to play nice and follow the rules for this to work.

The worst part is I just found what could become my new home gun range too. Dagnabit.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Time to work on those weak hand drills and one handed reloads. This is the perfect opportunity for this. Seriously though follow the Doc's advice, a month of no shooting is still a whole lot better than making the injury worse and not being able to shoot for say 6 months.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I guess I am old, or "well trained" as I don't need to shoot every month to shoot where I aim.

I go months on end without actually popping a cap and then when the pressure is on and I need to down a deer or elk, I seem to hit just where I aimed at hundreds (more than 1) of yards.

In the field, cold as hell, often hung over, and still get 1 shot 1 kill.

Let the limb heal up, its not like everything you know will disappear.

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time to work on those weak hand drills and one handed reloads. This is the perfect opportunity for this. Seriously though follow the Doc's advice, a month of no shooting is still a whole lot better than making the injury worse and not being able to shoot for say 6 months.

-Infidel
This is the plan. I don't spend near the time training my off hand as I once did.

I guess I am old, or "well trained" as I don't need to shoot every month to shoot where I aim.

I go months on end without actually popping a cap and then when the pressure is on and I need to down a deer or elk, I seem to hit just where I aimed at hundreds (more than 1) of yards.

In the field, cold as hell, often hung over, and still get 1 shot 1 kill.

Let the limb heal up, its not like everything you know will disappear.
I agree a month with not shooting isn't much of an impact at this point in my life from a skill point of view, but I like to shoot.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
This is a great opportunity to train. When the SHTF the bad guys aint gonna care, they're going to keep coming! Fight through the pain! Buy a .50 BMG and put 1000 rounds through it.

I'm kidding, that's just what my training officer would say to me. Heal quickly then get back to having some fun. ;)

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
PT, I did see my Ortho today. The tear is large enough to be uncomfortable but not so large to scope and stitch. Of course, I have to play nice and follow the rules for this to work.

The worst part is I just found what could become my new home gun range too. Dagnabit.
Do not fool around with this. I did and in the end it was bad.
I messed up the rotator cuff in my stong side shoulder over 20 years ago. I thought it healed, but I kept having pain now and again, until the pain was constant. Still, I did nothing about it, thought it was just arthritis, until I began having intense pain just raising my arm over my head.
Had an excellent orthopedic surgeon look at it - surgery needed. When he got in he said it was one of the worst he had seen - 3 of the 4 tendons were completely torn away, nerve impingement, and a muscle atrophied to half it's proper size. There was only one chance, if I didn't follow the rules and tore stuff loose it could not be fixed a second time. Screws, wire and a plate installed, 8 weeks in a sling, had to sleep sitting up for 12 weeks because it hurt to dadgum bad to just lay down.
It took a full year and a lot of pain before I could touch the back of my head with that hand.
DO NOT fool around with this.

Reactions: Rigged for Quiet

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, the Orthopod was pretty specific about what happens if I really tear it. Not in my game plan. I is tired of physical therapy and recovery being 10 months out from a total knee replacement.

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
It goes pretty quickly. I was told no gun play for six weeks and I made it. I still twitch a little, but I am sure that is temporary.

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
Yep, the Orthopod was pretty specific about what happens if I really tear it. Not in my game plan. I is tired of physical therapy and recovery being 10 months out from a total knee replacement.
I can understand what you are saying about "chrome knees".
My wife had both of hers replaced. There were some rough times during healing, but she had the absolute best surgeon. He was carrer Army, did a lot of time at Walter Reed, and was made an Honorary Ranger for the work he did for the Rangers who got blown up in Somalia.
It was a member of his team that did my shoulder. And my right knee is ready for a complete replacement, but I've been putting it off.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can understand what you are saying about "chrome knees".
My wife had both of hers replaced. There were some rough times during healing, but she had the absolute best surgeon. He was carrer Army, did a lot of time at Walter Reed, and was made an Honorary Ranger for the work he did for the Rangers who got blown up in Somalia.
It was a member of his team that did my shoulder. And my right knee is ready for a complete replacement, but I've been putting it off.
It took about 8 months for me stop wondering what the hell I got myself into with the knee replacement. I'm 10 months out now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've had a foot surgery to relieve open compound fractures, 2 scopes on one knee and one on the other prior to the replacement of the rt knee, three back surgeries, and a shoulder surgery for a torn rotator and labral collar, with a fracture in the arm way up by the socket. Until the knee replacement I figured the shoulder was the worst rehab I had been thru.

I really need to work on my tuck and splat, then roll around like a beheaded chicken, manuever, lol. I guess learning not to zig whey ya shoulda zagged would have been useful too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Liston to your Dr. It is only a month and it will heal.

If you do shoot, shoot a .22 rifle with stand under it so you don't have to carry it. ;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ugh, I've somehow managed to dip just below my acceptable minimum rounds of .22 LR on hand. I may have to cave in and pay some gouger prices for a hundred rounds or so for some off hand practice and some bench shooting.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Hope you get better soon. I'm just coming back from a broken arm right at the wrist. Of course it's my gun hand. Started physical therapy last week. The bummer is I started back into law enforcement with a very small tribal agency and tried to qualify with my .40; I did great if I was allowed to shoot one at a time, racking the slide between each shot. LIMP WRIST. But I did qual with the AR and the 12 gauge. So I feel your pain. Good luck and speedy recovery!

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
Ugh, I've somehow managed to dip just below my acceptable minimum rounds of .22 LR on hand. I may have to cave in and pay some gouger prices for a hundred rounds or so for some off hand practice and some bench shooting.
Since you are in the area, if you want I can donate a 100 rounds or so of .22lr for a good cause. Let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts