Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Do you trust your supplies?

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Megamom134 
#1 ·
I ask because I was looking into a Berkley water filtration system and almost had the cash saved up but in doing my research found they didn't actually test the filters with enough water to actually say they will filter that much safely. Then I got to thinking, has anyone had the water tested to see if it really filtered out what they said it did, and then I started questioning my water bottles filtration, my water purification tablets, my premade food, my insecurities ran wild. I always test my equipment but not so much these and I feel blindly not questioning their claims may be a huge mistake. I tend to over research everything and the older I get the more leery I am of the claims.

So had anyone here actually tested the water and some of you have been prepping for years, does the food really last that long? Do the claims ring true. I have made some mistakes in the beginning, probably will make some more but can't afford to make many.

#4 ·
I do tend to overthink things because I think they put so much junk out these days and even though I try to save and get the best I do cut corners on some things due to necessity, or poor however you want to look at it. Just when I think I have figured something out I see another something that promises to be better. I have come so far from where I was 10 months ago and am finally getting to the point where I can take a little breather and beat the old guy at some pool without thinking I should be doing something productive. I am close to having a years worth of food put up, supplies for most disasters, garden seed ready to go and started some inside. I know I am better then I was, then doubts creep in about the things I can't test. I like proof I guess.

#7 ·
If the grocery stores were closed would you be ok for 2 weeks? I prep with things we use. I buy flour 50lbs at a time. Keep your grocery receipts for two weeks. What did you buy? Do you have that or replacements for it in your pantry? For example I have dried milk and shelf stable milk to use when I don't have access to milk.

If you really want to know how you are doing you can do a little test run. Turn off the power, shut off your water and don't go anywhere. You can do this by closing shut off valves on your water and flipping the breakers. Try it one week-end. You will be surprised what you will learn.

Most importantly what are you prepping for? Food shortages, natural disasters, unemployment, power outages, civil unrest? What are your top 3 reasons for prepping? Mine are weather, health issues and civil unrest.

Last week we got a great test. We had a lot happen, historic snow storm, no power, a healing broken foot and the tractor fuel pump went out. It was quite a week. However, we got through it okay because we were prepared.

Don't let people fool you. No one is prepared for everything! Be realistic, don't let prepping take the joy from your life.

#8 ·
A lot of the survival items out there have not actually been full tested including lts emergency foods.

Most of those companies that sell the freeze dried foods only test for a few years and then I guess are able to scientifically estimate how long the food will actually last.

I know one of the major companies (I believe Mountain House) has actually tested some of their foods to the full length of time. But most of them no.

I have no illusions that I'll be filtering 100,000 gallons of water with a $20 Sawyer filter as they claim. But those are cheap enough where I don't mind having a bunch of them to maybe make up the difference.

The only thing I can say about the Berkey is buy plenty of extra filters. You don't necessarily have to get the expensive ones from them.

There are plenty of companies that make replacement filters for their system at a much lower price. I would think some of them must work fairly well.

#11 ·
I have no illusions that I'll be filtering 100,000 gallons of water with a $20 Sawyer filter as they claim. But those are cheap enough where I don't mind having a bunch of them to maybe make up the difference.
Just wanted to hop on here and say that those stats about our filters are 100% accurate. Thanks for buying several filters and supporting us, but just wanted to say that we are deliberate in all of our claims. We will not exaggerate when it comes to your water safety... Let me know if you have any other specific questions about the filters and thanks for being a supporting customer!

#9 ·
I researched the heck out of the Berkey filters. We have 2 now that we use consistently.

We replace our kitchen faucet a few months ago. The sprayer head pressure recently got worse. I took it apart and there was a small filter in the top that had gotten clogged up. Even after only a few months.

The water we drink, both coffee makers (yeah we have 2, one being Keurig my wife like at times), the water for tea and for cooking all come filtered through the Berkey. And I keep extra filters on hand.

#15 ·
This is a very good discussion, simply because I don't think the average bear could remember his car keys or even clean underwear within a pandemic. I know that at the top of my list would be filtered water. Even then I would seek equipment to re-filter any amount that had a bizarre color or even a slight smell.

I've seen debates where members decide on what firearm to carry and how many thousands of rounds they will need to steal any food that they might see. Seldom will I see a debate on mercurochrome.

For example, do you think we will ever see huge rolls of hospital-quality gauze? And even if such a item could be found, do you think bullet casters will stop and inventory such bandages? I believe most of us have stockpiled things like ammunition. Now all we need is huge packs of storable gravy...

#17 ·
Probably several hundred packets, all totaled. So...gravy -- check!

Glad to hear it! I already had some gravy last night, so this afternoon I hit the gym and the track. But let me advise you, when you have a head cold that totally shuts you down, trust me, your lifting is going to suffer--big time!

I'm surprised I didn't get some static over mentioning gravy for us healthy guys to eat. Yes, you should have a little more fats in your diet, the issue is to decide when "enough is enough."

#18 ·
I will say this, I have a Big Berkey system and a spare set of filters.
I have been using now for 11? years, clean the filters once a year, have not replaced them yet.
Next year I will replace them after I acquire another set. always need a spare of everything.
I do my own lab analysis on the water for any bacterial contamination once a month.
I have treated town water, there is nothing in it that I can see @2k power with a scope.
The water is treated for iron and manganese by the town, not chlorinated.
I also have a well as fallback if the town water goes south, nothing in it either.
I have done assorted titrations for different chemicals, none found other than the above.
My primary concern was for arsenic, it was used for embalming in the 19th century and early 20th.
It has been known to leach into the water table in this area and others, none found.
I would get the Berkey line of countertop filters, best in my humble opinion.
Here you go RPD, I did a post, your pleasure!

#19 ·
I will say this, I have a Big Berkey system and a spare set of filters.
I have been using now for 11? years, clean the filters once a year, have not replaced them yet.
Next year I will replace them after I acquire another set. always need a spare of everything.
I do my own lab analysis on the water for any bacterial contamination once a month.
I have treated town water, there is nothing in it that I can see @2k power with a scope.
The water is treated for iron and manganese by the town, not chlorinated.
I also have a well as fallback if the town water goes south, nothing in it either.
I have done assorted titrations for different chemicals, none found other than the above.
My primary concern was for arsenic, it was used for embalming in the 19th century and early 20th.
It has been known to leach into the water table in this area and others, none found.
I would get the Berkey line of countertop filters, best in my humble opinion.
Here you go RPD, I did a post, your pleasure!
We had one Big Berkey then my wife found out that our local water supply had some issues. Now we have 2 Big Berkey's and use them exclusively. Yeah I have the back up filters for these also.

#21 ·
This has nothing to do with water filters, but I have seen 30 yr old corn, and wheat, that a friend stored in new 5 gal buckets. This was from 12 years ago, back 30. He used I think dry ice on top, of the product, he hadnt even heard of mylar bags and oxygen, not sure if they were ready available. Well we opened the buckets, the corn and wheat were in great condition, except they smelled like plastic. This was 12 years ago. He gave it to a friend and he fed his animals. We bought in bulk and done it right. I have used 2 kind of water filters hiking.they worked great.
I have various methods planned in case of having to use pond, creek water. I have done a check on the corn we put back 12 years ago, it was just as good as the day we stored it.

#23 ·
Do I trust my supplies? I trust something's better than nothing.

My problem is that while I peruse stuff that "might be needed" I usually wonder about stuff I have left behind. For example, even in the most remote area of Wisconsin I have yet to meet a buddy who has yet to kill a poisonous snake. Having said that, most of the people going into rugged wilderness areas always seem to have a snake bike kit. Granted, these kits could be used for any open wounds, but a garter snake in my area is usually the biggest example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.