Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Can you survive in the deep woods?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're supplies with you will only last so long if you bugout with them. Then what? Do you have the skills? Is there enough food you know how to obtain to survive from? You're not going to be alone if shtf to drive people towards the woods, unless you keep going away from civilization which is getting harder to do. Farming takes supplies, tools, hard and time. Can you survive?

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
That is one of the things I love about where I live.
Alabama has an abundance of food, from small game to fish to bugs to edible "weeds" to decent dirt for planting.

Yup, I am certain I can survive in the woods. Heck, my people ain't long out off the land. My father is the first generation to have a job.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Speaking of swamps, a lot of your critters are moving up north. Lake Eufaula, for example, is now teeming with alligators. The lakes and rivers around now have future boots in them.
Just another thing to put on the list for munchies. Or, being munched, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love gator tail, yum. There's the new problem of privately owned snakes owners no longer wanting and released into the wild taking over too. When the shtf I'd say it may be plus possibly as snake is quite tasty. Catching them can be tricky though. And the bigger they, the more likely they may make a meal of you too I'd say.

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Grass

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm down in the south myself and raised in the outdoors fishing, hunting, hiking, boating and camping. The swamp areas of the south are actually teaming with life still, but most people aren't willing to live in the swamps. Which is fine because that makes more for the rest of us who are.

;-)
Exactly. I was born and raised in NC. I've lived in the swamps along the coast most of my life. I've also lived in NE Ohio. Both extremes provide everything you need to not only survive but thrive if you're smart enough to find them.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
A lot of the south is covered in Kudzu now too which is a great food source. I wonder how long it would last when people start living on it, but there is a lot of it and it grows like wildfire.

View attachment 740
A delicacy in Japan, I hear.

I read somewhere that dying of starvation in the woods is like doing so in a restaurant.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Yeah Denton as you could see I barely for five feet at a time before finding all three of those. That day I found acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, paddle catus, water clover, grasses of all kinds, muscadines, blackberries, Cherokee roses, young pines, plantain, you actually could barely escape them- they were all around you.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
If things allow for such planning, I am going to get several acres of uncut land so that I can make it the way I want. Some will be for gardening, some will be for the chickens, some for fruit trees, a patch for the house, and the rest left as-is. Why screw up a natural thing, I figure?

·
Registered
245 Posts
h yeah, Colorado is waaaaaaay different. lol. Still plenty of resources though. We're making a stop in Colorado Springs on our big move to Oregon next summer. The kids are looking forward to putting their survival practice into use.

I've known for a long time that I could make it in the wilderness. The goal now is to make sure the youngsters can too. My 6 year old just had some cold weather survival training on the last camping trip we went on and she did great. Wanted to stay an extra day! Super proud of her fern salad.

We're collecting acorns today. Learning the menu is 90% of the battle.

·
Registered
481 Posts
First of all, it would depend on the season. Could I survive in mid-February in the Maine woods? I probably could with the right gear, but not that well. Wild food is scarce and it's constantly wet and freezing. Honestly, if the SHTF in winter and I had to live in the woods, I wold probably BO to a less frigid climate if at all possible.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
In Idaho?
Depends on the mountains...and the season. I know some of whats edible. Though if it's covered in several feet of snow...and the game has migrated to lower elevations...which they do in the winter. It would be dicy at best even for a seasoned survivalist.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.