Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And furthermore, I *really* don't want to be working tonight, so here's another one.

Do you bring in additional preps for family members who may not be on board now but will think to come to you if things get real? I was delighted to hear from my SIL the other day that she is starting to prep, but most of our close family is not.

I imagine for many of us, prepping for ourselves is a financial stress. So what to do about family members? What about people who have skills but don't prep?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have talked to all family members that are welcome to our home that they may come but I ask that they bring as much food, meds and personal items as they can. It will be tight if they all would come, but we can make room. I will admit that there are a couple of family member that are not welcome and would be turned away, no sense in inviting trouble as we don't get along any how and they would just be leaches any how. They won't prep and will have a hand out.

No, I can't afford to prep for them, but I am prepping as much as I can for all, and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're the black sheep of his family, probably because he married me and I'm not at all mainstream, but that's an interesting point about the ones you don't get along with. Since, well...yep. Still, I think family is family and we'd have to do our best. Maybe I'll have a bug-out-from-family-location and just leave them all here! :D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I figure the family small as ours is, knows we are a couple of those nutty preppers. I would not turn immediate family away. A couple have health conditions that makes it iffy that they could even get to our home. The one son in law I will shoot on sight. The rest can come and I think we could feed them for a year. I dole out the tp though.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I figure the family small as ours is, knows we are a couple of those nutty preppers. I would not turn immediate family away. A couple have health conditions that makes it iffy that they could even get to our home. The one son in law I will shoot on sight. The rest can come and I think we could feed them for a year. I dole out the tp though.
I have a family member that will be met at the door with a gun in my hand, and he knows it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have talked to all family members that are welcome to our home that they may come but I ask that they bring as much food, meds and personal items as they can. It will be tight if they all would come, but we can make room. I will admit that there are a couple of family member that are not welcome and would be turned away, no sense in inviting trouble as we don't get along any how and they would just be leaches any how. They won't prep and will have a hand out.

No, I can't afford to prep for them, but I am prepping as much as I can for all, and hope for the best.
I prep for as many people as I can. will never be enough if things get bad, but for me most of what I do is prepare to be without and find ways to substitute. No store milk for the babies, we have goats. Garden of course, chickens that can produce 5 doz or more eggs a day. Pigs that can have more if needed. I try to focus mainly on adaptation and things that can be expanded quickly if needed. Planning is one of the keys to having the right set up for anyone that could show up.
As for room for all of them.....we buy cheap RV's that need some repairs and turn them into prepper condos. In our yard are a 32' 5th wheel, 18ft camper, a cab over camper and Our latest is a 27' that can sleep 6 all self contained and outfitted with solar panel that will more than supply the 12 volt electric. great deal at $300.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The family we prep for are the ones in our house and our grandparents in the same town who are just as on board. The ENTIRE rest of the family resides over 200 miles away. And said family thinks of us as looney. Then again, they are the kind that have grown a bit to accustomed to getting whatever they want when they want. The rest of our family is actually considerably wealthy (But of course, none spent in preparations) While the 4 of us and the grandparents on my mothers side living here have always been . . well . . not as nice off. They are the kind that will be the 1st to resort to violence when everything is not being handed to them. So even if they did manage to make it the entire 200+ miles to us, i doubt we would ever have em in. The last thing any group needs is a person with a few cut wires just because they are family.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I don't limit it to family. I love everyone and everyone is welcome to come stay with me if things get rough. My bug out location is in south western Montana, just ask around for Prepadoodle, everyone knows me.

<cough>

Reactions: StarPD45

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
For years I tried to live closer to family and get them on board with being prepared for the world going to crap. They all blow it off and live in a self focused reality. In turn regardless that I love them, I've had to come to terms with writing them off as useless, on focused, grasshoppers. I simply can not afford to prep to take care of them and it pisses me off with their unconcerned attitude. I've decided to move away to where I've always wanted to live which is a long ways away from them all and north. I've told them and will tell them again their welcome to visit but I no longer even bother to discuss world issues with them and prepping. I prep what I can afford to prep and will continue to. If some of them happen to make it to me when shtf, I'm certainly not going to turn them away and will make due with the preps I have. But that's as far as I'm going to go anymore. They've made their choices and I won't be dragged down by them.

:shippingcontaineron

·
Banned
148 Posts
YES! Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone was prepared? My wife and I were talking about this the other night. Our family is getting larger and we just added 2 more mouths to feed. Need to increases our prep’s (Thank God we can afford it). Its part of our BO plan for the family to meet at our home then go from there.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
With my move to Arizona, my preps for family in my old location will nearly double what I need just for my wife and me. No family down here to worry about HERE.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't limit it to family. I love everyone and everyone is welcome to come stay with me if things get rough. My bug out location is in south western Montana, just ask around for Prepadoodle, everyone knows me.

<cough>
Packing our bags, we'll be right over! ;)

I think down the line when we're better situated, I'd like to stock extra, for unexpected guests or for barter. I already plan my preps on 5 adults, just because kids always eat more than you expect and I'd rather not have to rework it as they grow.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Packing our bags, we'll be right over! ;)

I think down the line when we're better situated, I'd like to stock extra, for unexpected guests or for barter. I already plan my preps on 5 adults, just because kids always eat more than you expect and I'd rather not have to rework it as they grow.
Something to keep in mind is that as kids get older their food likes can change big time, plus they become bottomless pits for food intake! just sayin...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's where being creative comes in. But we have lots of variety and garden. They like healthy food and dislike things like fast food. I have a friend who feeds her kids donuts for breakfast every day and processed stuff for virtually every meal. They won't eat anything that remotely resembles real food now. It's all in how you start them I think. Then again, I think I just got super lucky with my three.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My mom cooked great meals and we ate what she made or did without. With that said, I use to eat an entire box of cereal for breakfast. It was nothing for me to eat 2 or 3 whoppers and fries and 2 milk shakes for lunch. Boys go through food like it's the last supper, if they are active at all. And no I'm not over weight, I still weight the same as when I was 18, I'm just an inch shorter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am planning to have my Wifes family show up whether I like it or not. Just the reality of things, Her Mother grew up in a time of being ready and prepping was the norm. Her Uncle on the other hand does no plaining at all and his family would diffently be a drain on us but I am getting ready for that. Everyone else is pretty much SOL. As for my side of the family the next closest relitives are over 2000 miles away so I don't really expect anyone to showup that far away.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Nope and hell nope

But the good thing is my siblings are preppers and live far away.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
71 Posts
I prepare for my immediate family that lives in my house, me my wife and my baby daughter, and for my wife's in-laws who live 1/4 mile away. Everyone else is over 2000 miles away, and on their own.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Parents and siblings ONLY, wives and my side. Total of 10 people, sure nice having a small family. Rest are on their own....NO EXCEPTIONS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts