Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Do you share your preps and that you are a prepper with others?

• I share such info with no one

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I share with very close family

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • I share with close friends and family

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I tell anyone who listens

Votes: 1 2.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I pretty much keep mum on it, and I tell my kids to do the same.

Here's why; A long time ago I worked for Brinks. I started as a driver and quickly wound up in management. The number one rule? Do not discuss what we do, how we do it or anything about our operations with anyone other than your wife. And if you do, tell her to keep her mouth shut.

Reason? You may tell a friend, and that friend, though they may not be a threat at all, may innocently tell someone "hey, I have a friend who works for an armored car company. It's unbelievable what they do. Let me tell you about it...". That person then tell's someone and so on, until eventually, someone may use that information to obtain things that don't belong to them. It has happened.

I have firearms. And my children have been told, you don't discuss it, for the very same reason. If a criminal, or someone looking to do bad things, want's a gun, or, your preps, it's not wise to let them know you have it. You make yourself an unnecessary target.

So I am very careful in who I let know what I have. And even then, unless they are a trusted friend or family member, I don't let them know everything. My neighbor recently identified to me that he and his wife are prepping. I had my suspicions, but they confirmed it a couple weeks ago. I now know what weapons he has, what preps he has and doesn't have and on and on. He knows very little of what I have, mostly general references. If I were any other person, his house would be first and he wouldn't have any of it for long.

On the flip side, several of my neighbors and I are beginning to "gel". We have had a recent rash of thefts in our neighborhood, 5 families on our block are now prepping, and the mower I wound up with that I was going to convert to a generator, found it's owner. I'm fixing it for her too! It was stolen out of her fenced back yard three houses down. She said she had no idea it was even gone until this week (between my house and the alley, it's been over two months). So now, we've got our own un-official block watch going and one of our "suspects" (a tweeker) got nabbed last night right on the steps leading into my yard and hauled to jail on a felony warrant.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Member's of our group.
I show little bits and peaces as away of getting others thinking but No one sees it all or where it is

Reactions: Ripon

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I pretty much keep mum on it, and I tell my kids to do the same.

Here's why; A long time ago I worked for Brinks. I started as a driver and quickly wound up in management. The number one rule? Do not discuss what we do, how we do it or anything about our operations with anyone other than your wife. And if you do, tell her to keep her mouth shut.

Reason? You may tell a friend, and that friend, though they may not be a threat at all, may innocently tell someone "hey, I have a friend who works for an armored car company. It's unbelievable what they do. Let me tell you about it...". That person then tell's someone and so on, until eventually, someone may use that information to obtain things that don't belong to them. It has happened.

I have firearms. And my children have been told, you don't discuss it, for the very same reason. If a criminal, or someone looking to do bad things, want's a gun, or, your preps, it's not wise to let them know you have it. You make yourself an unnecessary target.

So I am very careful in who I let know what I have. And even then, unless they are a trusted friend or family member, I don't let them know everything. My neighbor recently identified to me that he and his wife are prepping. I had my suspicions, but they confirmed it a couple weeks ago. I now know what weapons he has, what preps he has and doesn't have and on and on. He knows very little of what I have, mostly general references. If I were any other person, his house would be first and he wouldn't have any of it for long.

On the flip side, several of my neighbors and I are beginning to "gel". We have had a recent rash of thefts in our neighborhood, 5 families on our block are now prepping, and the mower I wound up with that I was going to convert to a generator, found it's owner. I'm fixing it for her too! It was stolen out of her fenced back yard three houses down. She said she had no idea it was even gone until this week (between my house and the alley, it's been over two months). So now, we've got our own un-official block watch going and one of our "suspects" (a tweeker) got nabbed last night right on the steps leading into my yard and hauled to jail on a felony warrant.
I worked doing the same thing many years ago. I left it to go work for GSA and never looked back. I still think it was one the most dangerous jobs I have worked. It seemed like we were getting scoped all the time and it was just a matter of time before someone got the nerve to try.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I worked doing the same thing many years ago. I left it to go work for GSA and never looked back. I still think it was one the most dangerous jobs I have worked. It seemed like we were getting scoped all the time and it was just a matter of time before someone got the nerve to try.
Meangreen, you and I are so much alike it's scary. I left Brinks to work on the GSA Protection Contract. Spooookyyyy...:grin:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've shared with the kids to a point and they know they are welcome but do NOT come empty handed. I doubt they will ever actually make the move if things go bad as they will all probably wait to long and not be able to do it when the time comes. They live in northwest Indiana and it's not the place to be if things go south, to close to chicago and gary, Indiana. No way in hell will I try to go up there and get anyone if they wait to long to make the move.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I had to look up "tweeker", had no idea.
My problem is I have some family members who know we prep but we don't discuss it with them. They make no preps for themselves thinking we are a bit off kilter and you just know when the stuff happens they will the first ones calling, or knocking as it may be.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It really is and I did the same thing because the money was better with GSA. I left there for Federal Law enforcement because the guys I was working with in GSA said, "You need to get a real job with a retirement and come back here after." So that is what I did.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Most of my family and friends know I am pretty well armed but beyond that, that's all they know. Just the Wife and kid know the rest. We had a BBQ today at our house and the family came over, the topic of guns came up and I got the regular I am coming to your house because they know that I am armed. I honestly am taking into consideration of my preps that I will have family come to my house. I only have one Really close Friend out side of the Wife and Kid that knows but he lives over 700 miles away but he is more prepped than I am. I try to do my best keeping opsec.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
6 family members, only of which my wife knows where everything is as of this time. One of the family members is my Son in Law who appears to be on the way out, but he is my Granddaughter's father and quite useful.

We do have a young engineer at work who is an M/E and over the course of most of last year we have established we share the same mind set. He's a long way from "home" and I may expand our conversations in a general way.

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
OPSEC. Period.

The people I work with (mostly liberals) know I have a few guns. Only because one of them wanted me to teach her to shoot. They know nothing else. And yeah, she really enjoyed it.

A very good friend of mine knows pretty much what I have but he is doing the same thing. And we share.

I am the only one left in my immediate family. My wife's family knows a little but not too much. My wife knows I will take care of her sisters the best I can. My wife also knows not to discuss this with anyone else.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My immediate family members know just a little, and understand it as me being "odd", like they say I've always been (I think that's a huge compliment, personally). My family knows that I have supplies, and that I enjoy shooting guns. In any emergency, they know that I'm there to help them, my number one goal would be to take care of them. None of my friends or extended family (minus one like minded cousin) know.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts