Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife says I'm the only person in the world that does this.

When I buy a new package of athletic socks (don't particularly like the ones with out a heal but for this it doesn't matter). They are first washed and dried. Then I gather them all and hold them with the tops even. I match the two longest, then the two shortest and so on until each pair is matched as close as possible. Then with a sharpie I number them by pairs usually using roman numericals or letters. That way I am never stuck with the longest and shortest being the only two clean and do not need to go through the process again. Each sock has a match.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Have you ever heard the term, "obsessive compulsion"? LOL
No I do not and I can see that there might be some justification for doing so but I have better things to do with my time.
Socks are covered by boots and pants... You are the only one that knows whether they are the same length or not.
ps: I have a grand daughter who purposely wears unmatched socks - different colors and patterns. It doesn't seem to affect anyone adversely.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
While there is genious to that approach, it's also riddled with disturbing behavior:lol:

For her entire life my daughter has never kept socks matched up. Now that she has a knee hi mini her of her own, the child runs around with mismatched colored socks all the time. Anyone who knows her Mom finds nothing unusual in this.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Once or twice a year I throw out all my socks, then buy several packs of identical socks. I get like 18 pairs of athletic socks and 6 pairs of black socks. So, no matching required. I grab any 2 white ones and they match, grab any 2 black ones and they match... automatically.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you 18 pair of athletic socks do not match up length wise. They never pay that much attention to keeping the tension on the knitting machine correct. But I'm not trying to argue you into worrying about the difference in fit and comfort.

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
You make absolute sense to me. I do that, too. I am certain that I can feel the difference in them, if not.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I match them for length, but I do not number them in pairs.

I hate droopy socks. So I buy them new once the elastic softens up.

Besides I like to be stylin' when I be walking in my tennies....

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Huh... Here all these years I have been blaming Mrs Inor for shrinking some of my socks or mixing hers in with mine...

Truth be told, she is always yelling at me for wearing my "work socks" (dress socks) even when I am out working in my woodshop because that makes them wear out much faster. I only do it because I cannot find two white socks that are roughly the same length. I guess everything really is my fault after all. :(

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Personally, I wear "tall boots" to work and some play, and tennis shoes or sandals when fishing. depends on the shoe which sock I wear. I have noticed a difference in lengths, thought like above, that I had overdried some...
My 16-yes, she turned 16 Friday, 16 year old stepdaughter, she refuses to wear matched socks, and isnt shamed, stating if some people dont like it, dont look.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I match them up based on length, too, because it's sometimes crazy to me how much difference in length there can be between two socks from the same package. I'm talking like a couple of inches here. And it drives me totally insane to wear two socks that should match, but are different lengths lol

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I hold them up in the dark - My wife will tell me if they don't match.......

She loves me - but she doesn't want people to think she doesn't care about how I look.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have a few ocd things but socks isn't one of them. I do go thru a bunch of them though. I probably buy a new pack of socks about every month. Now white t shirts are a whole new ball game! I wear a ton of white t shirts, mostly as an undershirt but do just wear a plain ole white T quite a bit. I can't stand to wear them after they have dried a few times and have shrunk up and are short and wont stay tucked in! So I probably buy a pack of crew necks almost every time we go to the store!!Then where I don't wear them anymore, either I rip them so I know they aren't good anymore and use them as rags or she will put a small X in the label area and she will use them as a sleep shirt sometimes..

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
There are thing I'm particular about. Socks? not so much. When the elastic goes or they get a hole they get knotted and turned into a dog toy. After the dog slobbers them up and chews them to shreds they get tossed.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The "Sock Monster" lives here unfortunately. I am really not sure how that happens but it does. I mean if you wash 7 pair there should be 7 pair when the drier stops right? Go figure! I buy all the same plain athletic socks so that there really aint a matching pair to have they are all the same. Otherwise I think I would loose my ever loving mind trying to find the other sock mate!

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Have you ever measured your legs? How do you know both of them are the same length? Maybe the socks are different lengths for a reason!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Don't we have a pharmacy student here? Aren't there drugs that could help folks overcome an unhealthy fixation on socks?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have a friend who hangs her husband's shirts up with a plastic hanger the same color (or as close to) as the shirt. Don't even go there Inor. I'll have to mention the sock thing to her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts