Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently and active working towards this step of moving away from the cities for the time being when this crisis continues.

I don't want to exclude anyone BUT I don't believe in urban survival. This is simply because it's laughably silly to have everything prepared while being surrounded by masses who are anything BUT.

The reason why I am asking is twofold.

One, what are the factors that made you move (besides the obvious - population, deteriorating society) such as the resources and the local laws there.

Two, it is also because I am hiring preppers who have relocated from one area to another and who want to help other newbie preppers to move away from their current population-dense area.

To apply, just click here That Prepper Guy | Save Some Lives

For more information about myself and even the job,
My ol' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Spectacular.SocialMan
My phone number: (313) 587-0330

Other than that, just post away.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We are in the process of moving from the city to a rural area with 5 acres outside of the city. Our hope is everyone will take each other out before they find us. :D I think one day we would like to move out to the middle of no where but for now our 5 acres will have to do.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Please stay in the cities.
All of us that have owned land for years/decades/centuries through our families being passed down don't want you out here. You'll just to put more strain on our limited resources. Besides we've farmed and worked long enough to feed your a**es.
You think just because you move out in the country NOW, that you will be welcome. You will stick out like a sore thumb cause we have lived here for years. We know each other, kids, parents and grand parents, friends and life long neighbors. The new guy with his new 5 acres and 50 friends from the city trespassing on the neighbors land won't last long. You made your bed living high on the hog in the great big city stay put and prepare best you can.
I know you won't take my advice so make sure you take the Odrama sticker off your mini van before you head out.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I live in what I think is an ideal spot. Deep in the Appalachian mountains where the neighbors are a long way off but the
ones I do have raise and sell cattle, chickens, hogs <stinky) and just about every animal I have ever seen on a farm
within 25 miles of my place. And we all have nice gardens and do canning. They are preppers but they don't know it.
I would bet good money that most have at least years worth of food and extra fuel and ammo and most everything
most preppers would have. And there pretty good at trout fishing and hunting. They are used to losing the power
for a week in the winter when it is 0 outside and they are ready for it. They are honest and hardworking fun loving
god fearing rednecks my favorite kind of folks. If you somehow make it here from the city when TSHTF you can expect
to find people that will be as hospitable as possible under the circumstances. I have repaired pick up trucks and been
paid in bacon and canned green beans. I have lots of stuff put back just for trading. Yea ,,ok it's 1 1/2 hours drive
to a walmart but to live here it's worth it.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
We didn't move to the country for the purpose of prepping. But two years ago, we moved onto a 15 acre farm with our own well and wood lots and neighbors about half a mile away. For everyone that will object to you moving out here, there are at least a dozen or so that will do everything to make you feel at home. In our case I worked here about 15 years ago and the folks I worked with back then are pillars of the community now. One piece of advice. Don't tell folks that back home we do things this away. Good way to get folks to buy you a bus ticket back there. However, take your time and make a real effort to fit in and soon you'll be the oldest new member in the community.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Please stay in the cities. All of us that have owned land for years/decades/centuries through our families being passed down don't want you out here...
Hang loose muchacho, I live in the middle of a big city and have absolutely no plans to move out when SHTF because i'd be bored in the country.
This is me in my hooded camo gear, I can just visualise me stalking the deserted streets and alleyways like some kind of sinister Doomsday Phantom..:)
"Be the hunter, not the hunted"...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
On the dirt road just to the North of my house there is a 56 acre portion of a farm that is up for short sale, 40 acres of the farm is fenced in with 10 feet tall fence, as it was a deer farm a few years ago. There is a pond and a designated trout stream running through the farm. They now have cattle grazing in the fields that were once a deer pasture and wooded section. There is a two story farm house on a hill approx. 1500 sq feet with an old barn, a pole barn and a chicken coop. It is being offered by a realator for 191 thousand. some one offered 150, and it was denied. You could likely get it for 175,

This is the perfect little get away farm. If you had the means you could retreat here and never be seen again unless you want to the back of the property is wonderfull.

http://goo.gl/maps/69F4t

·
Registered
938 Posts
I moved to the country to get out if the city, which is where I work, and the suburbs, which is where I used to live.

I moved because of the problems a city brings - overcrowding, increased crime, "bad parts of town" you have to drive through, urban sprawl, trash/litter/pollution, homeless population, traffic, gridlock in bad weather or emergencies, and proximity to neighborhoods that are declining.

I chose a location that was secure, private, secluded, near (actually, on) fresh water, with great neighbors who keep up their properties and who band together for fun and for helping each other.

It is fifteen minutes to get milk and bread if you forget (30 minutes round trip) so it is not convenient; shopping is limited to Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply, and dollar stores, along with mom & pop grocery stores, and a couple of chain stores...no restaurants except fast food...but I love it.

I go outside at night to walk my dog in my pajamas, where I can see the moon and stars, listen to owls hooting, and not worry about being accosted by some wannabe thug. I can ride my ATVs down the street and people wave and smile instead of calling the cops.

When I see the news of problems in the cities caused by the economic downturn increasing the gap between haves and have nots, I am glad I live where I do. It storms hard here, and the power gets knocked out by trees falling on power lines a lot. I can catch fish for dinner, and it is safe to eat. At night I sleep in peace and quiet. People know who belongs here and who doesn't and challenge those who don't have a legit reason to remain.

I still go to the city, but I can't wait to get back home - the commute is an hour each way, but when I slam the door on my truck, my work day ends.

I moved because it was safer. I stayed because I like it better this way.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Yes 35 years ago moved everyone out of town.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Mid November 1994, . . . left the 24 x 36, 2 bedroom on a 60 by 100 lot, . . . moved into a 14 x 70 trailer that had no running water, no toilet, . . . but was on 10.004 acres in N/Central Ohio.

My south neighbor is 1/2 mile away, . . . east and north neighbors are all 1000 feet + away, . . . west neighbor is 1 1/2 miles away, on the other side of a river, in another county.

Moved out here to give my only son an opportunity to learn about and enjoy the outdoors, . . . which he shortly did. He went jogging down an old trail on the other side of a weed field (he was 15 then), . . . he jumped a big buck out of the cattails by a small pond, . . . one went west, the other went east, . . . both "running for their lives".

Don't know if all will end well, . . . but one way or another, . . . plan on spending my last days out in "boonie" country.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I was lucky growing up. I spent most of my time in the country of a small cow town in Florida and was able to spend the weekends and summers with my dad in Ft. Lauderdale.. I was lucky enough to have both the country and the beach. The last 20yrs has gone downhill fast for South Florida and even my dad moved tot he Plant City,Fl area which is out in the country.. Now that we have picked up and moved to Montana, it is really out in the country and we love it.. 038 Favorite.JPG IMG_1259 (2).jpg

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The picture on the right is the view out of our side window.. Our closest neighbor is our friends place a few miles away. Besides them it is 30 miles one way and about 47 miles the other way to any other neighbors..

·
Registered
148 Posts
You think just because you move out in the country NOW, that you will be welcome. You will stick out like a sore thumb cause we have lived here for years. We know each other, kids, parents and grand parents, friends and life long neighbors. The new guy with his new 5 acres and 50 friends from the city trespassing on the neighbors land won't last long.
Chipper is so right..

It takes years and longer to fit in.. Even a country boy moving from state to state.. Your the outsider for a long time..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Chipper is so right..

It takes years and longer to fit in.. Even a country boy moving from state to state.. Your the outsider for a long time..
I guess it depends on your prejudices

I have a Cailifornia couple living next to me (300 yards away) and they are probably my favorite neighbors even though they have only been here 6 years. They raise sheep, pigs, turkeys, chickens and have a bigger garden than me!

On the contrary my "natives" never work their land, never spray weeds, don't irrigate even though they have water rights, and only call me to bitch about current events or when the irrigation ditch washes out.

I can't count the times I've seen "natives" throwing beer cans out their windows while the "Californians" clean them up.

Local does not in my opinion mean always right, I will welcome anyone willing to pull their own weight!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chip..you hurt my feelings! :( i'm a city slicker turned cowboy!!! lol
Not all of us were lucky enough to have been born in the country..some of us were even born in the Big City!!! But,that doesn't mean we aren't as thoughtful,helpful and skilled as anyone else!
NYC to CT to AZ (Phoenix) and then even that got too crowded...and watching what goes on around you in the cities? Sheesh! Gotta be crazy to stick around (no offense Lucky Jim..btw,you amuse me to no end!! keep up the good work!!!).I can Fish with the best,hunt well enough to feed myself and several others and smart enough not to judge a book by it's cover.Honestly? I'm hoping folks with judge by deeds and not where you were born/came from.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chip..you hurt my feelings! :( i'm a city slicker turned cowboy!!! lol
Not all of us were lucky enough to have been born in the country..some of us were even born in the Big City!!! But,that doesn't mean we aren't as thoughtful,helpful and skilled as anyone else!
NYC to CT to AZ (Phoenix) and then even that got too crowded...and watching what goes on around you in the cities? Sheesh! Gotta be crazy to stick around (no offense Lucky Jim..btw,you amuse me to no end!! keep up the good work!!!).I can Fish with the best,hunt well enough to feed myself and several others and smart enough not to judge a book by it's cover.Honestly? I'm hoping folks with judge by deeds and not where you were born/came from.
I agree. And you have no control where you were born and raised as a kid! And if that's the only life you've ever know, it's probably going to take something big to make you want to change that. I was born and raised in the country, and it would take something HUGE to make me move to the city. I'm no city person by any stretch of the imagination. It would probably take me quite a while to figure out how to survive.

Don't sweat it. You said what needed to be said in a respectful and graceful way. I applaud you, especially having done that in this forum! Hopefully those that need to get it did.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts