Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first snow of the year the other day, so exciting for me. The next morning my wife got a call from our neighbor, she said if we go out would we get their list of groceries also? She told them that we didn't need anything from the store and wouldn't be going out. Well she hung up on her and hadn't talked to us since, oh well just cause I have a 4x4 doesn't mean it is a snow taxi. I guess that was mean of me, but I always try to be ready ahead of the snow. I don't do well in crowded stores anymore.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Suck it up and let it roll off your back. People who drive 4x4's aren't allowed to get their panties in a bunch so easily.

Your neighbor is an inconsiderate parasite, so consider the source of the angst before you let it cause you any grief. Besides, soft people like this will be tasty after the SHTF. Start working with them now to keep supplies (particularly the things YOU like to eat) and then convince them that guns are loud and scary. You'll thank me later as you enjoy a bonus cache of goodies.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
My redneck neighbors love me. I had one today come over and offer us two HUGE venison roasts if I would just smoke a third roast for he and his family. Obviously, that is a trade I am more than happy to make.

My yuppie neighbors, not so much. Several years ago I was out working in my woodshop making Mrs Inor new kitchen cabinets and one of my yuppie neighbors came up and started bitching me out for killing trees because Mrs Inor's old cabinets were still serviceable. I threw a hammer at the prick. :mad:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The gentlemen that lives across the street, alone, is a Korean War vet in his 70's I believe. If you park in front of his home he'll come out and yell at you - no matter who you are. It annoys some friends that come to visit us once in a while but we've adjusted and agreed to put up with it. On the plus side he's got a nice Garand and I'm sure he's capable of covering his quadrant if need be. I find him in his garage working with wood and tools often and has been a pleasure to talk with. I can put up with his unrealistic desire to have no one park in front of his house because he's otherwise a good guy.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What is a neighbor? Our closest one is prob 25-30 miles away and it is family.. LOL.. We all try to be friendly out here and if someone is going to town, they will call around and see if anyone needs anything. When the weather is bad, we let people know when we are traveling and everyone keeps an eye out for each other. Sucks to break down in 20 below...

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
When I 1st moved into this neighborhood I was not welcomed with open arms. In fact several of the neighbors that had previously gotten along got into a verbal battle over me. One guy hated me for some reason. Long story short, my neighbor 2 houses down sold their house and moved because of the battle. We are one of the few original owners left, most have moved on but the Yuppies aren't moving back in. It seems like some down home folks. I still mostly keep to myself but I sure don't like Yuppies.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The gentlemen that lives across the street, alone, is a Korean War vet in his 70's I believe. If you park in front of his home he'll come out and yell at you - no matter who you are. It annoys some friends that come to visit us once in a while but we've adjusted and agreed to put up with it. On the plus side he's got a nice Garand and I'm sure he's capable of covering his quadrant if need be. I find him in his garage working with wood and tools often and has been a pleasure to talk with. I can put up with his unrealistic desire to have no one park in front of his house because he's otherwise a good guy.
And I'll bet if you hit him up for a favor one day and asked, "Hey, I'm having some family over later tonight, could I borrow the space in front of your house and have them park there? We would really appreciate it." I'll bet he'd let you. Most of those old guys just don't want to be taken for granted. Be sure to thank him later if he lets you.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
And I'll bet if you hit him up for a favor one day and asked, "Hey, I'm having some family over later tonight, could I borrow the space in front of your house and have them park there? We would really appreciate it." I'll bet he'd let you. Most of those old guys just don't want to be taken for granted. Be sure to thank him later if he lets you.
Same thing I was about to type :)

My oldest newest neighbor up the road, used to have family get togethers when he first moved in. His friends and family would block my driveway area. I needed the space immediately across the street to put the ass end of my truck when backing out.

I really really didn't care that they parked there, I just needed about 8 or so feet clear.

After numerous times, I finally went over there and told him "hey, please don't park directly across from my driveway. I need that clear, so I can back out"

He made everyone move. I felt bad, because I just needed that little bit of space. Otherwise I really really don't care.

Ok. So how does this relate? He's been there almost 3 years. We get along pretty good. He is the one that have me the free chickens and chicken coop.

I go over there and fix a flat here and there for his wife when he needs it. He works all the time and they just had their third kid. I help them out, and they just helped me out with the chickens. See how that works?

The next house is my gramma. I hope we get along :p

Then me.

Then there's the other neighbor. She's single mom. I hope we get along. Her youngest son was walking home one day. I'm out with my buddy in the street bull*hittin and I look down the street to see him swinging his backpack at the neighbors pit bulls who were going for his throat. I walk down there with only a pocket knife haha. By that time the guy calls his dogs back. That prick was there the whole time. So we walk back up the street.

Then there's the stereotypical Mexican family. Very good people.

Then the new people. Haven't met them yet. They have 3 dogs so I can't just walk in there gate and introduce myself. I never seem to catch them out. I did say hi to them one time though, although I was in a bit of a rush.

The neighbors know I'm a bit nuts. But they thank me for always watching out for this part of the street.

But I'm not sure I've pissed them off? There is this one time I rented the cabana to a band to practice. Boy was it loud. They should have been mad at me. I wouldn't have blamed them if they had been haha. Although I did go to the nearest neighbor and tell her that if it ever gets unbearable, to PLEASE speak up. No hard feelings if she says its too loud.

I hope they're happy with me :)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Same thing I was about to type :)

My oldest newest neighbor up the road, used to have family get togethers when he first moved in. His friends and family would block my driveway area. I needed the space immediately across the street to put the ass end of my truck when backing out.

I really really didn't care that they parked there, I just needed about 8 or so feet clear.

After numerous times, I finally went over there and told him "hey, please don't park directly across from my driveway. I need that clear, so I can back out"

He made everyone move. I felt bad, because I just needed that little bit of space. Otherwise I really really don't care.

Ok. So how does this relate? He's been there almost 3 years. We get along pretty good. He is the one that have me the free chickens and chicken coop.

I go over there and fix a flat here and there for his wife when he needs it. He works all the time and they just had their third kid. I help them out, and they just helped me out with the chickens. See how that works?

The next house is my gramma. I hope we get along :p

Then me.

Then there's the other neighbor. She's single mom. I hope we get along. Her youngest son was walking home one day. I'm out with my buddy in the street bull*hittin and I look down the street to see him swinging his backpack at the neighbors pit bulls who were going for his throat. I walk down there with only a pocket knife haha. By that time the guy calls his dogs back. That prick was there the whole time. So we walk back up the street.

Then there's the stereotypical Mexican family. Very good people.

Then the new people. Haven't met them yet. They have 3 dogs so I can't just walk in there gate and introduce myself. I never seem to catch them out. I did say hi to them one time though, although I was in a bit of a rush.

The neighbors know I'm a bit nuts. But they thank me for always watching out for this part of the street.

But I'm not sure I've pissed them off? There is this one time I rented the cabana to a band to practice. Boy was it loud. They should have been mad at me. I wouldn't have blamed them if they had been haha. Although I did go to the nearest neighbor and tell her that if it ever gets unbearable, to PLEASE speak up. No hard feelings if she says its too loud.

I hope they're happy with me :)
Did you have a one on one TALK with him, I would and he would know his dogs would only do that once more and then they would be dead and his ass would be up between his shoulders!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Since I started shooting my Bow in the front yard everyone seems pretty nice to me, Go figure.

Might help a little that I don't miss either haha.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Did you have a one on one TALK with him, I would and he would know his dogs would only do that once more and then they would be dead and his ass would be up between his shoulders!
It's hard because he left right when it happened. My first concern was getting my neighbors son home. Didn't see the guy for a bit. He ended up having a brain aneurism (?) and is on a long long road to recovery. Has to walk with a walker and is somewhat slow now. Karma I guess.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Don't really have what most call neighbors ,we do have others living in the area. Some years ago a liberal educator bought the place to the South east of us.
They informed us the we would not be allowed to fire any more weapons.
They moved 3 months latter. No problem

Reactions: wesley762 and indie

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
We got our first snow of the year the other day, so exciting for me. The next morning my wife got a call from our neighbor, she said if we go out would we get their list of groceries also? She told them that we didn't need anything from the store and wouldn't be going out. Well she hung up on her and hadn't talked to us since, oh well just cause I have a 4x4 doesn't mean it is a snow taxi. I guess that was mean of me, but I always try to be ready ahead of the snow. I don't do well in crowded stores anymore.
Sorry Sargedog you missed a amazing opportunity to make a friend.

When the snow flies around here and gets a couple feet deep I bring out my big 4 wheel drive tractor and save the neighborhood by plowing out everyone in the area.

After doing this for 20 plus years they tend to rely on me to help them out when the SHTF. OMG once it really hits the fan and I have a plan to save my local community I would guess they will not only trust me but believe me.

Use those instances to build relationships.

Reactions: GTGallop

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
You live across the street from Clint Eastwood? That is SO bad ass!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Have I pissed off my neighbors? Hello it's me!
I have bent over backwards to work with my neighbors.

If you believe the SHTF will happen then you are building bridges, if you believe it and it DOES hit the fan than you will be on your own.,

Friends are good.... Enemies are Bad

you do the math.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts