Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I do not know that much about emp, but was wondering if a metal roof would protect inside electronics if the pulse was from above? is there a thickness that one should maintain?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good question. I also wondered if an EMP would knock out a digital safe. It would be horrible to not be able to open your safe when you need the contents more than ever.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Short answer- with a wire connected from the tin or steel roof to the ground by means of a steel peg, connected well like a soldered wire running straight to the grounded stake, yes. This does not, however, protect from the sides but it IS indeed a 'shield from above' for an EMP.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always thought if u needed to protect yourself or anything, u needed to cover the entire item in a metal container. Top, bottom, sides. Think of it this way. Wind is blowing. And u are in the middle of a parking lot. There is a random door in front of you. U stand behind the door but wind still manages to get to u.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I EMP-proofed my radio (below) by following instructions on the web and removing the batteries, then wrapping it in a plastic bag, then wrapping it in kitchen foil. The plastic bag is needed to stop the foil touching the radio.
I suppose a metal room or big metal container would also act like foil, protecting TV's, radios and computers inside it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
EMP much over rated threat to us. Steel roofs are a good idea no madder what they last a long time put one on the old farm house . Made a note to self never use anything but steel again.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
EMP is no mystery. It is simply a pulse of energy propagating through the atmosphere. It travels just like a radio frequency travels, but is a blast, rather than a frequency.
As Leon said, the idea is to block the pulse from making it to circuitry by bleeding it to ground.

I think Top is right, too, in that the EMP threat is seriously hyped, unless you live in a nuclear targeted city. If that be the case, the EMP is only part of the problem, and I see no reason to live in a nuclear targeted place. Not nowadays, not if there is a possibility of leaving it.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The sun spews out solar flares which can have the same effect as an EMP, I hear 2013 will be a year of high flare activity, the earth has been zapped before-

Sep 1859- Telegraph wires burst into flames, touching off fires .Telegraph machines scorched paper printouts, stunned operators with electric shocks, transmitted gibberish, and continued working for hours even after being unplugged from the batteries that powered them. The Earth itself was no longer "grounded"!
November 1882- another massive solar flare lit lamps, disrupted telegraph communications, and set off several fires on the Chicago telegraph switchboard, melting instruments.
November 1903- solar storm not only disrupted telegraphs and the transatlantic cable; it even shut down Swiss streetcars.
March 1940- severe solar storm burnt out fuses and damaged hundreds of miles of telegraph and telephone networks.
March 1989- a major solar flare shorted out Quebec's power grid. Circuits also overloaded in Great Britain, New York and Virginia. A critical transformer melted in New Jersey.
November 2003- an "X" solar flare, the strongest of solar storms, temporarily disabled many satellites, killed one satellite completely and and burned out an instrument on a Mars orbiter. The crew of the International Space Station took shelter, reporting elevated radiation readings and "shooting stars" in their own eyes.
September 2005- a string of "X" solar flares caused lesser disruptions to major power grids and knocked out the GPS system completely for ten minutes.
June 2011- a moderate solar flare caused minor satellite disruption, unusual amount of static on phone lines.

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/ma...lar-flare-1859

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Ok so we have a Metal sided garage and a metal roof. The floor is cement so how would this work??
It's a mystery to me, i'll keep searching around the net.
In fact I can't even figger out how an EMP could blow out car electronics if they're shielded under the metal hood, check this pulse at 2:00 that stalls everybody's cars and a guys motorsickle-

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Just being surrounded by metal doesn't make it EMP proof.

Dang. I type to hurt my fingers.

You have at least two people here who aren't having to scour the internet to explain it to you, and now, the other one will shut the heck up and let a movie or video help you out. Have fun. :-D

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I'll drop a very large hint for those who never took the first class, though...
...ground.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
EMP is not a worry for you if it gets that bad EMP will be so low on the list you won't care. It does no kill or harm people directly. Well maybe a pacemaker.
But if you need a new roof go steel if it don't hit the fan you'll have a great roof. The old farm house.
Building Sky Wood Tree House

·
Registered
14 Posts
dontlookatme: You are exactly right!! Even if you used a GI Ammo Can as a Faraday (sp?) Cage, you would need to do something with the rubber gasket as the gasket area would be a path into the can. On "grounding" the Faraday Cage...well, there are several "schools of thought" on that. Some would say that the ground is like an antenna, just gathering the EMT into where you don't want it. Things electric aren't high on my list of skills though.:?:

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
What does the military know about EMP? Beats me. Wait, no, it doesn't.

The stake in the ground, as Leon (who knows this stuff very well) explained, bleeds the energy to ground, and away from your electronics.
When I daisy-chain wire shielding and then run a pigtail to aircraft ground, what am I doing? When the metal avionics components are "bonded" to the aircraft frame, what is this doing?

I hope you are following what I am saying. An EMP is nothing more than a pulse of unwanted energy that will enter circuitry through induction and destroy circuitry components that cannot handle such a load. Shielding and grounding protects the components from the pulse and from a static build-up.

No mystery to this! :-D

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
What does the military know about EMP? Beats me. Wait, no, it doesn't. They are the ones that many years ago alerted us to it in the case of Nukes began the training, They are the ones with the weapon systems to deploy EMP as a weapon. They are the ones working to defend when others use it as a weapon. I would say they have it covered. EMP is a part of all NBC training and prep.

Reactions: bo_leggs and Denton
1 - 20 of 46 Posts