Discussion Starter #1
DIY Survival Bars

2 cups quick oats
2 1/2 cups dry milk
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 3-ounce package Jell-O, lemon or orange taste best
1/4 cup water

Mix the first three ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the next three ingredients in a saucepan, and, stirring constantly, bring to boil. Remove from heat, combine with the dry ingredients, and mix well. This dough is rather stiff, so I'd recommend using a food processor or heavy duty mixer if you have it. If the dough is too dry, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time and mix it in thoroughly until you are able to pat the dough into the pan (a cookie sheet is what I'd recommend). Cut into bars before baking. Bake at 200 to 250 degrees for 1.5 hours or in a dehydrator at 150 degrees for 4-5 hours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mmmm, looks good, thx!
Could you add some nuts without having to change the recipe too much? I am thinking cashews would be good, but may affect longevity/shelf life?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it would affect the longevity but it would take good, make a small batch for snacking and a big batch for storing.

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
DIY Survival Bars

2 cups quick oats
2 1/2 cups dry milk
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 3-ounce package Jell-O, lemon or orange taste best
1/4 cup water

Mix the first three ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the next three ingredients in a saucepan, and, stirring constantly, bring to boil. Remove from heat, combine with the dry ingredients, and mix well. This dough is rather stiff, so I'd recommend using a food processor or heavy duty mixer if you have it. If the dough is too dry, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time and mix it in thoroughly until you are able to pat the dough into the pan (a cookie sheet is what I'd recommend). Cut into bars before baking. Bake at 200 to 250 degrees for 1.5 hours or in a dehydrator at 150 degrees for 4-5 hours.
Thanks. I usually have breakfast cookies with my morning yogurt. I will try to teach the house mouse how to make this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am hoping to make these after our vet appointment. I want to get them done tonight since I have surgery in the morning for a torn rotator cuff and will be out of commission for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,063 Posts
What makes these "survival" bars? Do they have a known shelf life?

With the moisture and sugar involved, under the wrong conditions, these could become excellent starters for bacteria and fungal growth.
Maybe I'm missing the point, and they are more for packing for use over the next few days, like on a hike or something.
Fill me in.

Reactions: LetsGo
1 - 9 of 9 Posts