Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't proclaim to be knowledgeable enough to know what the "Key" to survival is. I do agree that knowledge and skills in many areas is important, but I also believe it is not enough in a true SHTF situation. You will need mastery in most things to survive.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
It's hard to master all trades. There are some I am good at and some I want to learn. There are some I will never learn. That's also why there is and will be a barter system. Of course the more you know, the better off you will be.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I am the Jack of all trades, but I see my leadership skills as being more valuable that my "making a still from a milk jug and some copper tubing" skills.

The ability to control people will trump any primitive skill you could learn, there are a lot of sources out there to influence people.

If you don't have the money to properly prep, consider learning how to lead people which is free on the internet.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think the skills you will need to master are security, shelter building, water purification, and food storage, gathering, and preserving. You need to master them to survive. A basic understanding of carpentry, electrical work, welding, irrigation, mechanics, etc. would be good to have, but if you haven't mastered the essentials, the rest won't matter.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Being able to solve problems with simple fixes is a skill that I have cultivated - to a fault.

I have an old chronograph that I have had for a very long time (the manufacturer no longer supports it). It always worked adequately in Seattle because the sky was typically cloudy but where I live now there is rarely a cloud to be seen and my chronograph doesn't work well in direct sunlight. I made a diffuser for it from a cardboard box and a milk jug. I don't think I will have any more problems. I'll let you know when I use it at the range next.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think the skills you will need to master are security, shelter building, water purification, and food storage, gathering, and preserving. You need to master them to survive. A basic understanding of carpentry, electrical work, welding, irrigation, mechanics, etc. would be good to have, but if you haven't mastered the essentials, the rest won't matter.
I just thought you said "buy a lot of duct tape"

hehe

Reactions: inceptor

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
The ins and outs of first-aid and minor medical procedures are high on my list. I believe very few people will educate themselves about their own health. Having these skills will likely help keep you and your family alive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts