Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Utility, function, ease of access, bushcrafting, training, communication
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an avid prepper, one must consider the safety of yourself and your people in a SHTF scenario. Guns and ammo are great, but your ammo WILL run out if you aren't careful and ration intelligently... Let's talk camp defense, and how it can help you and your group.

Here's a few notes to go by - back when I was in the army, one of my head NCOs taught me the importance of cover and concealment. Cover is something that either completely blocks your body from enemy fire or redirects it. Concealment does not, but keeps you from being spotted, and if used effectively can really change up things. Using a combination of both, one can make an entrenched position appear to be naturally part of the terrain, keeping you safe and the potential enemy, well, not.

So, keeping both of those objectives in mind, and all scenarios are different so this isn't even a guideline, it is wise to put up barricades and suchlike in a defensive measure around your camp. Close off choke points, or perhaps open them to lure untrained fiends into particular zones, conceal traps laid well in particular areas, or make it incredibly difficult to traverse territories. However, in my professional opinion, the objective isn't to instigate fights or kill your opponent, but to trick them into following your design of defense. If you can get the fiend to give up before even trying to take your stuff, that's even better. Bloodshed should, most assuredly, be the last possible option (in my opinion). Being able to talk your way out of situations is technically also a defensive measure!

Now, with all of these in mind, let's discuss construction of said defenses. Since I'm sure most preppers here will be wandering into the forests away from civilization, we'll use references of natural defense material - wood, grass, moss, stones, dirt, boulders, that sort of thing. Since it's rather difficult making your entire camp as least noticable as possible with clear cut trees and log barricades, we'll just have to jump right into it with one of the most basic kinds of barricades possible - Log barricades. Four standing spikes driven into the ground with cut logs going between them sideways, as tall or as short as you desire. For additional bullet-stopping effectiveness, put a mound of dirt in front of these barricades, or behind if you plan on laying down on it. I wouldn't recommend putting stones in front, as they can shatter and ricochet bullets in lethal means. Another useful kind of individual defense are foot pits, where a fiend may slip into one and step directly on rusty metal or a sharpened spike, which can be laid pretty much anywhere.

One more tip is to also make your defenses difficult to be used by the fiends - if you are forced to draw back to deeper defenses, make your current defenses hard to be hidden behind. Adding barbed wire or sharpened stakes on the opposite side of your barricades is a good option, it may force the fiends to try and use corners, and make their group spread out even more, making for less cohesion on the enemy side. If your camp defenses are laid effectively, evenly, and strategically, one may even be able to defend with few on guard, such as the use of tripwire alarms or foot pitfall traps.

Now, all of these points are in the suggestion that the fiends use no vehicles and are strictly on foot. The use of vehicles drastically changes the need for specific defenses, so plan accordingly! Now... What else can anyone else say about this subject of camp defenses? What do you think about camp defense?

·
Administrator
15,631 Posts
This sounds like a scenario for a group.
If so, you forgot one basic infantry tactic. In a night lager, put out LP's.

Reactions: R. Zangier

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm with rice paddy daddy here, I'd go basic infantry and either J-Hook to a high point and camp in a hasty overlooking my trail leave a few 12-gauge toe-poppers in a horse show show anyone coming up on my flank or six is gonna lose something or come straight into my line of fire. As a group, set a diamond wedge around the camp site and, remember cover, concealment and camouflage... boil everything to keep down smells, don't use pine or wet wood for cook fire and cook in Dakota Firehole to hide your location. As for vehicles, well a 3 foot piece if chain with bent framing nails, makes a good makeshift spike strip and caltrops can be carried in your pocket.

The real question is why would MBZs be in the woods and, what happens if a toe-popper blows off "Farmer John's" foot while he is poach deer to feed his kids?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with rice paddy daddy here, I'd go basic infantry and either J-Hook to a high point and camp in a hasty overlooking my trail leave a few 12-gauge toe-poppers in a horse show show anyone coming up on my flank or six is gonna lose something or come straight into my line of fire. As a group, set a diamond wedge around the camp site and, remember cover, concealment and camouflage... boil everything to keep down smells, don't use pine or wet wood for cook fire and cook in Dakota Firehole to hide your location. As for vehicles, well a 3 foot piece if chain with bent framing nails, makes a good makeshift spike strip and caltrops can be carried in your pocket.

The real question is why would MBZs be in the woods and, what happens if a toe-popper blows off "Farmer John's" foot while he is poach deer to feed his kids?
Camoflage, I can't believe I forgot camoflage... Thank you for the addition. And yeah, I agree, sometimes defenses should be light and sometimes they should be heavy. Hopefully people don't stray too close to your camp, if that's the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not planning on bugging out at all. But I do have plans to build a nice over watch room on the peak of our roof. If your close enough to see me I probably know who you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Height advantage is also tremendous, but also makes whoever is up there one heck of a target as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes we are pretty rural my house has been tasked with east wing overwatch. Other good friend has west end overwatch. Plan on blocking roads with equipment

Ah, cordoning off segments to make things as difficult for a fiend to make it easy for themselves, and dissuading them from trying. Good thinking!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’m not planning on bugging out at all. But I do have plans to build a nice over watch room on the peak of our roof. If your close enough to see me I probably know who you are.

Might I suggest dropping back to the militaries urban combat tactics and just shoot through the roof.

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
If you are on your own, it would be rather difficult to man a defensive position 24/7. Much easier if you were part of a group. Spider holes can be useful as a way to hide in order to get some rest/sleep. Being vigilant 24/7 is not possible long term.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are on your own, it would be rather difficult to man a defensive position 24/7. Much easier if you were part of a group. Spider holes can be useful as a way to hide in order to get some rest/sleep. Being vigilant 24/7 is not possible long term.
If you do enough meth... lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts