Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen and heard all kinds of things intended to discourage a home invader.

Don't leave mail in your mail box when you go on vacation.

Leave a TV on so the lights flashing makes it look like some one is home.

A dog is the supposed number one detractor.

Well I have seen and thought up a few non standard detractors.

I went to my sisters house yesterday to help with hooking up a generator, as the whole area is with out power.

They have targets tapped to their front door,

Our new lab, shepherd, rotweiler puppy likes to pick up my empty shot gun cartridges and carry them up on the porch to chew the plastic. He also has picked up some deer bones from some where. We tie him up on the front porch when we leave the house so he has a 25 foot cable that allows him to stand in the middle of the porch chewing femur bones and spent shot gun shells all over the porch.

I am not sure if a home invader would take these two ideas into consideration while walking up a porch but I think it can't hurt.

What other subtle hints do you think would send a message.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
keep all quick to sell items out of sight, (dvds, PlayStation games etc,)

try and give the impression from the outside there is nothing inside worth the risk of a pissed off dog that has a taste for shotgun shells... let alone where those shells came from...

other suggestions, house sitter, only tell people you trust your going on holidays and to check in from time to time, and put a big dirty padlock on the electrical supply box (the most common scout tactic is to shut off power at the box, and check it the next night, most alarm systems can not last 24 hours without mains power... then make entry)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Dog, he has it well covered. Little Dog she does what she can.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My family has framed targets in our front entrance area with our names on them. They are all pretty much on the bullseye. We hung them as a matter of pride and to show our shared interest in shooting. Now that I think about it, I don't think an intruder would like that sight as he entered.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Get the family and yourself in always closing and locking windows and doors even when you're home. If you have a gate at the end of your driveway, use it. It is amazing how things as simple as keeping a gate closed even without a lock keep opportunists out.

When I lived in Minnesota, home to the nosiest people on the planet, I placed a sign at the end of the driveway that stated, "You are now in range" people stopped coming up my driveway just to have a look.

Invest in a really good safe. A big gun safe that weighs 800+ pounds empty, add your ammo to the bottom, all your firearms except of course your go to gun, and all your valuables. Don't forget your important paperwork and irreplaceable items like photos. I sleep well at night because I have this immobile, fireproof, little piece of mind.

I look at home defense in layers. The outer layer is the perimeter which is surrounded by a 8 foot fence with locked gates. Inner layer has nasty plants under the windows like cactus and the windows are locked as well as the doors. The inner layer is a safe room with steel reenforced door and frame, cell phone, and me with my bad attitude.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
All he wants to ask is can I eat them. And being a heeler he is very sneaky.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
German Shepard and looking to get a buddy for him. If he "knows" you no problems. If he doesn't don't get out of the car...

Have a sign on the door: Have a 45 and a backhoe. Will you be missed?
On the shop same thing but: Have a 308 and a backhoe.
If you get through the dog.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts