Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my biggest garden yet this year in my cousins new rural home. I have only done urban gardens up to this point. This new found freedom of no town rules and more space than I know what to do with is scary and exciting at the same time. Up until now my experience has been in been small garden beds and square foot gardening. I need advise on how to grow rows of food on a third to a half acre of land. I was thinking of a three sisters garden, a keyhole kitchen garden. and a small container garden on the property.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,974 Posts
Wonderful! Please keep us posted. We won't be doing anything as ambitious as that, but we'll be doing 4 or five beds of various produce plus an herb garden.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonderful! Please keep us posted. We won't be doing anything as ambitious as that, but we'll be doing 4 or five beds of various produce plus an herb garden.
The last frost date for my area is May 5 but I have already started radish outside sucessfuly. I have some daikon radish seed I saved from last year that grew really well. My local library has a seed library. I took some seeds out and plan on leting all my spring radish go to seed to replace what I took. I also left some of my favorite seed company's herloom seeds(MIgardener) so someone else can grow them and save the seed. I have too many seeds to grow everything this year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THAT is super cool... Never heard of such a thing. I will have to look into this.....
Essentally a seed libary is like a community seed vault that gets used every year and next years seed is grown by the gardeners. One of the avantages of this is the plants can aclimate to your local climate also once the community gets on board you never need to buy seed again. Its much better than those "seed vault kits" in mylar you see advertised everywhere. The seed is always fresh so it will germinate easier. Let me know if you find one near you!

·
Registered
INCH
66 Posts
Let me know if you find one near you!
Closest one to me is a couple hours away. I found an online locator, but it may not show all of them - I'll still look around locally. Otherwise I may still look into the more distant one, not sure if they'd let me in or not since I'm not in their community.

Seed Library Locator:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Please keep us up to date on your efforts. Me personally, I'd (and am) growing what we use that is not very expensive and grows with little or no effort. so far it's onion sets. Tomorrow will add carrots and spinach. Beans and peas are good easy to grow vegies and will keep on producing for several weeks. big crops like potatoes and corn are harder as the yield per row is not as good as with say green beans. Plants like tomatoes, peppers squash and the like require some means of polination. we've had some success and a good bit of failure.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,501 Posts
I appreciate this discussion being started.
I have not dedicated any time to gardening, and I've been getting the itch lately to learn about it.
My YT recommendations are starting to reveal this trend. 😁
I look forward to seeing where this topic goes.

·
Registered
INCH
66 Posts
^^^^^ +1 and a yup. ^^^^^

I look forward to watching this develop. And pics! Lots of pics!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Closest one to me is a couple hours away. I found an online locator, but it may not show all of them - I'll still look around locally. Otherwise I may still look into the more distant one, not sure if they'd let me in or not since I'm not in their community.

Seed Library Locator:
I tried to find my seed library on this locator and couldn't find it. It looks like only the ones that register with the website are shown. Try searching for traditional libraries near you then calling and asking a librarian about seed librarys. Or just go to your local library and ask they can check the system for seed libarys. If they don't have one you can always try starting one! Also my library doesn't even ask for a libary card they just have the seed packets out.

·
Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
I tried to find my seed library on this locator and couldn't find it. It looks like only the ones that register with the website are shown. Try searching for traditional libraries near you then calling and asking a librarian about seed librarys. Or just go to your local library and ask they can check the system for seed libarys. If they don't have one you can always try starting one! Also my library doesn't even ask for a libary card they just have the seed packets out.
Another way to find one is to call your local Ag office. They are usually aware of those.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plant Plant community Sky Branch Natural landscape

Here is the empty lot in back of my home. It turns out it belongs to someone else but that didn't stop the town from sending blight notices to three different people over the junk that used to be in it. I seeded it with wild flowers and dandilions to attract pollinators. In a pinch I could eat the dandilion or make tea with it but its so bitter.
Plant Leaf vegetable Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

in the back garden bed the first thing that always grows is the mint. Now with hindsight my father should have never planted mint in the bed as it grows like a weed chokeing everything else. but at least after I am done weeding I get a nice drink of mint tea after.
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

This is Champion Radish I have a whole row seeded this heavy. This is called "high intensity gardening". I am hoping to get one big harvest before the carrots are too tall and start competing witht the radish.
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant Grass

I only have a few pea plants like this so far I plan on sowing a few packets worth by the time I'm done. I am spacing out the times I grow this so I do not have massive harvests.
Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Grass Natural landscape

Lastly for now, here is some green onion I planted from the grocery store I also have bunching onion seeds that are starting to come out.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Gardening isn’t hard, but it certainly isn’t easy either. It requires a learning process. Beginners will make mistakes and probably experience failures. Best advice I can give is to try to find an experienced local gardener and try to learn as much as possible from him/her. I’ve been planting for 40 years and I’m still learning. But I get better every year!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plant Tree Bedrock Landscape Groundcover
Plant Plant community Grass Natural landscape Biome

This is the left and right sides of the key hole garden. We converted the flower beds into rows of vegitables. But I made sure to save some of the flowers to attract benefital Insects. The metal poles are bird feeders. There is also a bird bath not pictured. I am hopeing the birds will eat any insect pests as we are not spraying. I am thinking of puting strawberrys in the empty container. We cleared a bit of the forest to make space for a Three sisters garden when it gets warmer. Lastly there is a compost pile hidden out of view in the woods and more empty containers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do grow-bag and pot gardening in an unused rear driveway right now at our city home (we use the front driveway for the car as that's where the garage is). I do 5 herbs, 4 types on onions, have 5 tomato plants, various greens, daikon radishes, potaotes and carrots (that aren't doing well BTW) My Dad could grow anything, but I didn't inherit his green thumb. Will remove the insect pest netting from them as soon as the tomatoes start producing a lot of flowers. Has protected from insect damage so far, so I'm pleased.
Plant Tire Tree Automotive tire Ingredient

At our BOL we have two 4x8 raised beds with prepped soil with amendments (kugelgardening) fpor when we finally bug out. There will be hill plants like squash, pumpkin and cukes on a trellis planted direct on the ground between the two raised beds eventually. No planting will be done there until we actually bug out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you sure you don't want to grow some kind of cover crop to improve the soil at your BOL? You might get there to find that weeds have grown in your prepared soil or erosion has occured otherwise. The wind or birds can introduce weed seeds into your garden area. At least keeping a layer of mulch between your beds where you want things to grow later would help too. I have never heard of the term "kugelgardening" It seems like a good way to passively improve your soil year after year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts