Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buy and store extra materials? Lumber, nails, staples, plastic,screws, even parts for your welder and gen set? I have almost enough parts to build another south bend lathe. Enough materials to build a shed or three. Fencing supplies.. My 8x16 shed is getting to the point the quad wont fit.. Must be time to build another storage shed..

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am an incurable pack rat. My garage looks like a hardware store, with an automotive care and tool world....

I also have maintenance kits (oil, filters, plugs) for all my gasoline powered machines. Just in case....

My wife puts up with it, because when the toilet breaks in the middle of the night, I can fix it. I think she likes that....

·
Administrator
15,031 Posts
I have worked in the building material supply business for over 40 years. I have lumber, plywood, fasteners, all manner of hardware, extra pvc fittings and pipe in case our well/exterior plumbing takes a dump, etc.
I pick up stray nuts and bolts and put 'em in the shop. When I needed a certain size metric bolt to replace one on the motor mount of my 1982 Chevy S-10 that had fallen out on the road, I had it.
Spare electrical fittings and wire.
Also manuals and instruction sheets - need a Chiltons for a 1968 Ford pick up? How about one for a 1984 Thunderbird? Installation instructions and set-up adjustments for a Motorcraft/Holley 4 barrel carb? I got 'em.
It got so bad that at one time I couldn't even see the work bench in my shop let alone get to it and worked out side on a Black and Decker Workmate.
Yeah, I ain't exactly a metrosexual.

Reactions: wallyLOZ

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I had to cut some plywood with a circular saw on the picnic table, because my workbench was full, my B&D Workmate was full and my 2 table saws were covered in "stuff"

I donated a minivan full today to help with the mess.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Us as well, we tend to keep up with any extras, or purchase some extras when we find them on sale. I had to do a lot of talking to my husband who was against reusing any used materials to build projects with, and now he and I are on the same playing field. He has put a lot of scrap material to use, as well as myself.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I've been picking up extra hand powered tools. Trying to get myself set for life without gas and electricity, like grandpa. Building materials should be easy to find after a month, but won't need them . Should be pretty easy just to move up after a couple more.

·
Administrator
15,031 Posts
I save end-drops after cutting boards or plywood for a project if they look big enough to be usefull. Like wise, the fencing I use comes in 330 foot rolls and if I have 20 - 40 feet left off a roll it goes in "the pile". Never know when a short piece will come in handy.
My parents, and my wife's parents, lived through the Great Depression and WWII. We both were raised in the old ways - "waste not, want not", "make do or do without", etc.
we call it Homesteading.

Reactions: wallyLOZ

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I keep stuff that is useful....
A couple of spare starters that I rebuilt, alternators, that I rebuilt, carburetors that need rebuilding and the kits for them. I have wire, switches, fuses, breahers, connectors, nuts, bolts, screws, nails, some electronics parts, metal of various kinds, wood, spare parts for the cars and other motorized vehicles, tubing, and pipe.

I need to get some planes(wood), brace and bits, more inserts for the lathe and mill, grinder heads for the tool post grinder, stones for the bench grinder, and extra buffer pads for the bench and hand buffers. I have all the precision tools and hand tools I need and the engine rebuilding tools to build just about any engine that reciprocates.

The inventory says I have $55,960 in tools but it is a few years old and needs to be updated. When I closed my business I sold my other tools and equipment out of necessity but I hung on to the ones I could use with 240 and 120 volts and my hand tools.

I'm not so much a pack-rat as I am frugal. I buy spare parts on sale and store them for when I need them. Belts, hoses, brake parts, and tuneup parts are stored for a time when maintenance is due.

Reactions: Tundra Dweller
1 - 14 of 14 Posts