·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank God no one was hurt.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
That was wild, and the Boeing 777 is an excellent workhorse of a plane, from what I have read.
I am sure there was a plane load of people pooing their pants. One engine brought them back to the airport.

Those planes are 300-400 passenger capable, and they took off from Denver en route to Hawaii. There had to be a max load of fuel on board, so that was a pretty scary dilemma.

The pilots reacted in the best way possible, and put her down back at Denver. Very well done.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
In the few thousand hours of piloting aircraft I never had a engine failure, never flew a jet, just some turboshafts.

Did have some rough running radials.

Did practice some engine out procedures for checkout.

Would never want to fly something like that, way too many lives to be responsible for.

Preferred flying freight.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
I'm glad my Dad is dead.
He spent his entire career working for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft. Those engines that failed, being P&W, would hurt him to the core.
He started out in 1939, with the Twin Wasp, one of the very best radial engines ever made. Powered the Corsair, Hellcat, P-47 and others.
Ended his career involved in high altitude testing of the engines for the SR71 Blackbird.
He was always in P&W's Government Products Division, always working with the latest, hottest, engines.
Rest In Peace, Dad

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I suppose some shrapnel from the engine could possibly enter the fuselage, but they can fly with one engine. Its incorporated into the design of the aircraft.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Here is a post I posted in another forum of airline/airplane buds -

What's your theory on that engine?

I'm not a fan of hollow anything from fan blades to props in the 50's into 60's. I'm no metallurgist
but I can't help but think these hollow blades on some engines are just flat out not as sound as solid metal
blades!

My 2 cents is they had a bird strike on the takeoff roll that went unnoticed and bird hit the blade that is missing
about 3 or 4 inches from the attachment and this is at the base of the hollow point internal inside the blade,.and compromised the blade?

Engine and blade kept running fine till the compromised spot cut loose at 13,000 feet.

My other theory is it was metal fatigue at the bottom of the hollow point inside the blade and if so there are a lot of fans/engines out there that need attention/AD!

I remember reading about the hollow props in the 50's save weight and carry more fuel! TWA used them
on the LHR-LAX Connie flights and they had some props come apart and they would land in the middle of no-where Canada
on three engines needing an engine and prop change!

Hopefully someone will find the blade that cut loose may have some answers! If it was some sort of bird strike I think that evidence will be in the engine core
and some minor burbs on the FDR and the powerplant data from ACARS will show it too!

I like to put on my investigator hat at times!

Adding this now - I think the continued fire after shutdown came from ruptured hydraulic lines in the thrust reverser system.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Here is a post I posted in another forum of airline/airplane buds -

What's your theory on that engine?

I'm not a fan of hollow anything from fan blades to props in the 50's into 60's. I'm no metallurgist
but I can't help but think these hollow blades on some engines are just flat out not as sound as solid metal
blades!

My 2 cents is they had a bird strike on the takeoff roll that went unnoticed and bird hit the blade that is missing
about 3 or 4 inches from the attachment and this is at the base of the hollow point internal inside the blade,.and compromised the blade?

Engine and blade kept running fine till the compromised spot cut loose at 13,000 feet.

My other theory is it was metal fatigue at the bottom of the hollow point inside the blade and if so there are a lot of fans/engines out there that need attention/AD!

I remember reading about the hollow props in the 50's save weight and carry more fuel! TWA used them
on the LHR-LAX Connie flights and they had some props come apart and they would land in the middle of no-where Canada
on three engines needing an engine and prop change!

Hopefully someone will find the blade that cut loose may have some answers! If it was some sort of bird strike I think that evidence will be in the engine core
and some minor burbs on the FDR and the powerplant data from ACARS will show it too!

I like to put on my investigator hat at times!

Adding this now - I think the continued fire after shutdown came from ruptured hydraulic lines in the thrust reverser system.

Word inside tonight it was metal fatigue blade failure! There are a bunch of these engines running around and expect to see some FAA
airworthiness directives quickly! My 2 cents it has something to do with these hollow fan blades looking at the pics the largest blade broke off toward
the beginning of the internal hollow area inside the blade, we'll see?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts