Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a ammo box of Federal 5.56 ammo for my AR and some of the brass cases have dents in them.
Will this cause a jam? And if so how big of a dent should I be worried about?
This ammo has green tips whats that stand for?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds like reloads. Some semi-autos will dent cases ejecting them. Never seen NEW ammo dented. :/ Will they jam? When will an AR NOT jam? A dent in the case could easily cause even more feeding problems than is normal as the shell could sit "funny" against the magazine lips or ride up the feed ramp incorrectly.

As you read through this it'll tell you about green tip ammo and other Poodle Shooter love.
The Gun Zone -- 5.56mm ammo FAQ v1.15

A brand new AR not even broken in yet, AND dented ammo... BOY are you in for a "fun" day at the range! :D :D I'll just say. FOR GOD'S SAKES DON'T EVEN THINK OF USING THE FORWARD ASSIST BUTTON EVER!!! Most asinine thing ever devised by man.

Engineer #1 "How can we turn even the slightest malfunction into an absolute disaster?", Engineer #2 "Let's put a big button on the side of this POS that when pushed will SMASH live rounds into the chamber at F'd up angles so the whole gun is locked up tighter than a bulls ass!" Engineer #1 "YEAH! And we'll call it "Forward Assist"!". :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I generally don't shoot dented ammo, a small ding in the body of the case probably won't be serious, have shot those before but I don't really make a habit of it. Any dents in the case neck though I wouldn't even think about messing with it.

Green tip is sold as a "steel penetrator" truth is it just means the bullet is either lead free or uses less lead to save costs. You don't really gain anything by using it. It also has the sales factor of "used by US Military" better off saving some money and just getting what out there. Depending on barrel length and rate of twist in your AR 55 gr may actually be the better load. Most AR15s produced now though have a 1/7 twist so 62gr gets the best performance.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that the ammo is new not reloads,, And I'm sure I will have fun the first day,,,, But no range for me,,,
I have a shooters table on my back porch. I put food out for the crows at 100 yards (practice with my 30-30)
And thanks for the link it was informative --Now I know what the green tip is for.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the ammo is new not reloads,, And I'm sure I will have fun the first day,,,, But no range for me,,,
I have a shooters table on my back porch. I put food out for the crows at 100 yards (practice with my 30-30)
And thanks for the link it was informative --Now I know what the green tip is for.
Awesome gun for crow shooting. But be careful! Crows carry lice, fleas, and every disease under the sun, from eating off road kill possums and the like. :(

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

I really don't think this is reloaded ammo

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome gun for crow shooting. But be careful! Crows carry lice, fleas, and every disease under the sun, from eating off road kill possums and the like. :(
Yea I know theirs not much left of them when they take a 30-30 hit they just sort of go "poof" And the smaller critters have a feast not
much left the next day.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Shoot it up, most likely you will have no problems as long as the dents are small. If a round does not chamber fully get it out of there, otherwise fire away. If you reload stick a primer pocket cleaner/reamer in a cordless drill and the brass will be good to go in half a second.

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Shoot them up not an issue they are not reloads .
Relax that weapon will serve you well no nee to over think all theses issues.
give it a quick cleaning and lube get out and shoot it.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have never had a round jam in an M-16/AR unless it was a missfeed from the magazine. This "When will an AR NOT jam?" bs ranks right up there with the an earlier bs statement about "needing a bag of parts" if you have an AR. I have never seen an AR have a part break. These are UNIFORMED opinions, and opinions are like rectal passages, everbody has one and most of them stink.
Your surely correct. Have you really done any research on the weapon or the round? Why it was adopted by the military? The round was adopted on a "better to wound somebody than kill them" theory. The rifle was forced on the military by politicians. But I digress. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Your surely correct. Have you really done any research on the weapon or the round? Why it was adopted by the military? The round was adopted on a "better to wound somebody than kill them" theory. The rifle was forced on the military by politicians. But I digress. :)
I would think it was adopted because it's a flat shooting, light recoil round. Uniformity is important in the military. Virtually everyone who handles an m16 can shoot it without problems, and because of the light recoil, can reacquire their target for a "follow up" shot. I've never heard of this "shoot to wound". When I was in the Army, during cadence it was "shoot to kill", not "shoot to wound". But again, the 5.56 was adopted, in my opinion, because of it's lighter recoil and flat trajectory. The military needs a round that every soldier can shoot straight, and effectively. Of course, not speaking for special operations. Now if they would get away from using FMJ's, it would be a lot more effective, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
While not the intent of the round, don't discount the value of inflicting large numbers of wounded on your opponent. Every wounded soldier generally ties up resources for response and for evac.

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You must understand the platform has been around sense the 50's. The M16a1 issued in late 60's and the M4 carried toady are different in many ways.
The 5.56 62 Gr was a response to changing battle fields and improvements.
The .223 in a 1 in 12 20 inch barrel was a good round. 308 lovers will never except that end of that story.
The move to a short barrel was bad news for the .223/5.56 55gr rounds the 1 in 7 and short barrel were at best useable with it.
Enter the 5.56 6sgr commonly know as green tip we can go into hours of how it came about for the SAW first on and on worthless typing.
The green tip penetrated light armor at range better it arrived on target more accurately and stopped the threat. Some have argued it over penetrated even at ranges beyond 400 meters.
Enter another but seldom use options for shorter range use the 77gr 5.56.
Look it up the platform is listed a 500 meters point of aim and 600 meters area targets. It can and does do it. Transition range
Time event target range from 50 meters to 400 meters targets are random you snooze you lose .
40 rounds Remember this is a timed event and you change out mags on your own time.
Marksman 23 to 29 targets
Sharpshooter 30 to 35 targets
Expert 36 to 40 targets.
Single biggest problem with the AR on the street is not knowing the weapon How to Zero it, how to use the sights and understanding what it is designed for.
Get that down you will shoot the heck out of your targets.
1995 I watch a trained master gunner with M16a3 off the rack zero that weapon with match grade ammo he then proceeded to hit a 700 meter mans size target 3 time with optics.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have never had a round jam in an M-16/AR unless it was a missfeed from the magazine. This "When will an AR NOT jam?" bs ranks right up there with the an earlier bs statement about "needing a bag of parts" if you have an AR. I have never seen an AR have a part break. These are UNIFORMED opinions, and opinions are like rectal passages, everbody has one and most of them stink.
Not involved in this argument, but, for the record, I've seen multiple M4/M16/ARs fail/malfunction/jam, and it's not always the magazine. I've also seen more than a few break, as in broken pieces. I'm not bashing the weapon, but it's not perfect, and it does have it's fair share of flaws. That said, it does have it's strengths, and I've taken a rack grade M4 and M855 ball ammo out to 500 yards with irons, so the platform/ammo combo does work at range.

OT: As for the rounds pictured, those are definitely new, factory loads from the Lake City plant. Good ammo, for blasting or in a SHTF scenario. Not the best for self defense, but cheap and available. As for the "dents", I'd like to see a picture of them. More than likely, it's just the normal wear marks that military ammo has. They don't bother to clean it up and make it look pretty like they do for civilian ammo, and that has lead many people to conclude that brand new, military style ammo is reloaded.

·
Banned
148 Posts
You must understand the platform has been around sense the 50's. The M16a1 issued in late 60's and the M4 carried toady are different in many ways.
I agree the M16A1 had its problems when it was introduced in the 60's. But todays M4 or the newer variants HK-416 or M27 are not the same weapon. Yes they look the same but have 50 plus years of improvements. I would not hesitate to compare my MR556 the civilian version of the HK-416 to any platform used today or in the past.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not involved in this argument, but, for the record, I've seen multiple M4/M16/ARs fail/malfunction/jam, and it's not always the magazine. I've also seen more than a few break, as in broken pieces. I'm not bashing the weapon, but it's not perfect, and it does have it's fair share of flaws. That said, it does have it's strengths, and I've taken a rack grade M4 and M855 ball ammo out to 500 yards with irons, so the platform/ammo combo does work at range.

OT: As for the rounds pictured, those are definitely new, factory loads from the Lake City plant. Good ammo, for blasting or in a SHTF scenario. Not the best for self defense, but cheap and available. As for the "dents", I'd like to see a picture of them. More than likely, it's just the normal wear marks that military ammo has. They don't bother to clean it up and make it look pretty like they do for civilian ammo, and that has lead many people to conclude that brand new, military style ammo is reloaded.
No argument. Not willing to do any research or accept the truth out of pride... How could he be wrong? :)

The original purpose of the ammo in this thread is for plinking and taking out a few crows. My opinion is this is a near ideal rifle, and any ammo thats "cheap and availablel" fits the bill as well. Good buy! Should be a lot of fun. Invite a neighbor! Good times for all.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree the M16A1 had its problems when it was introduced in the 60's. But todays M4 or the newer variants HK-416 or M27 are not the same weapon. Yes they look the same but have 50 plus years of improvements. I would not hesitate to compare my MR556 the civilian version of the HK-416 to any platform used today or in the past.
The HK416 should in no way be considered the same as an M16 or M4. It may look similar, but we're talking a different animal here.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
wow, just get an AK.
There, problem solved. :mrgreen:

Reactions: BigCheeseStick
1 - 20 of 29 Posts