Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my machine has been on about 5-6 hours about 1/2 way through what it needs to be and I just noticed the counter top is getting super warm. I am noticing the glued on top of the counter is starting to warp a tad. I moved it and wiped it down with a cold rag a few times and cooled down the counter I am running out for about an hour so I think it should be safe still... Any tips on how I can better make sure the place is safe with it runing for such an extended amount of time? Would it help if I put a metal pizza pan on top or maybe put it on a cutting block? I want to make sure it dosent get anything warm that could catch on fire plus I don't want it to warp my counters which would be bad when it comes time for me to attempt to get my deposit back.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Use a piece of corrugated cardboard between it and the counter. The air spaces in the cardboard will dissapate the heat.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Maybe one of those cookie cooling racks that holds the cookies 4-6" above the counter? I think I would be hesitant to place it directly on any paper product if it is putting out that kind of heat.

Reactions: lancestar2

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Use a metal rack used for cooling cookies. It will stand about a half inch off the counter and transfer a lot of the heat.

Immediately put two 2x4 at each end. That should do the job.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
I've used dehydrators for a long time and I've never had one that seemed to generate that much heat. If it's a new one, is the fan working ok. Did you over load it so the air doesn't pass thru it properly? Just a few thoughts.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used dehydrators for a long time and I've never had one that seemed to generate that much heat. If it's a new one, is the fan working ok. Did you over load it so the air doesn't pass thru it properly? Just a few thoughts.
No way I overloaded it because I actually "under loaded it" Didn't have enough to fill it all up so I space it out enough. It's to late to bring it back to the store this is the 2nd or 3rd time I used it but I have had it since early spring. I did move it to the oven top and it seemed fine granted it will suck to have to take up that space but I think provided I plan my cooking and dehydrating according it should work because I can't cook on the stove when I am dehydrating now.

There is no temp setting on device so I can't change anything nor is there a high or low but the actual power source, motor/fan was still cool to the touch just the outside of the trays were very warm and the counter under was almost "hot" or extremely warm. I also was only runing the 5 trays I could expand it to 7 but the directions says to NEVER run with less than 5 trays and I did follow that direction. I do have two clamps that lock the 5 trays together but I don't have ones to lock it down when I have 7 trays... I might have to dehydrate with the 7 trays and no clamps which might help the air escape a bit better. I will use it until it breaks I guess just hope I can get it to work another 50 more times then I can justify getting another one! If not it might be a while before I get another one I did invest a good 100 bucks in the dang thing with extra trays.. :???:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have one of the round plastic dehydrators and it does get warm. The problem I have experienced is that over time the trays get brittle and break. I made a dehydrator out of 3/8" plywood many many years ago. It has long since bit the dust. Yet it operated fairly cool, the down side was it took longer to dehydrate. I'm sure you could find some plans on line and build your own at a cost saving.

Pretty easy to put one tighter over an evening or two.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Mine will generate a little too much heat sometimes and really crisp up the jerky. I think it's mainly being left on for a long time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts