Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you found your water source but theres not alot of food around… now you have a choice, venture out into unknown territory or pull out the meals that you packed in your bug out bag and add some boiling water… a few minutes later, delicious food. I know what youre thinking "Great more MREs for sale." Nope these are dehydrated meals that you can actually look forward to eating. Come over and check out GOFoods Global | SERVE. SAVE. SHARE. and get your meal planned squared away.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I ordered the free starter pack, and if its decent, Ill let everyone know, from shipping to eating....lets see if it's good..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My God people learn the simple process of cooking from scratch if you are serious about prepping. The money you save now from not buying prepared meals will help you to increase your food stores.

I wouldn't suggest this this company until they publish how many calories a day their meal plans provide, looks like a lot of soups and oatmeal which is highly suspect.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My God people learn the simple process of cooking from scratch if you are serious about prepping. The money you save now from not buying prepared meals will help you to increase your food stores.

I wouldn't suggest this this company until they publish how many calories a day their meal plans provide, looks like a lot of soups and oatmeal which is highly suspect.
Ah, they do publish their calories per meal if you look at their site it lists them all. I might add that all of the freeze dried and dehydrated foods do as well as full ingredients.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ah, they do publish their calories per meal if you look at their site it lists them all. I might add that all of the freeze dried and dehydrated foods do as well as full ingredients.
Ah thanks, with a little fumbling around I was able to find the calorie tables, so there is the deal:

I looked over the 30 day package for 1 person for $225

GOFoods 1 Month Supply

That package adds up to 24704 calories total or 823 per day, I believe a starvation diet is around 600 calories so at least you are not starving but if you are active at all you will need to use 2x30 day packages a month to not be losing muscle mass or $450 per month. The upside is I'm sure its tastes good.

As an alternative with a little scratch cooking get one of these:

380 Total Servings White Rice 42 lb. Bucket Emergency Food Storage By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE?

That is 380 x 150 calorie servings for a total of 42,000 calories or 1400 calories a day for $56, of course you will want to eat more than rice every day but my point is this GOFoods company is a crock for cost effectiveness.

Plus if you want to buy 40-50lb bags of rice and beans for $25 a bag and store them yourselves the cost goes down by half.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ah thanks, with a little fumbling around I was able to find the calorie tables, so there is the deal:

I looked over the 30 day package for 1 person for $225

GOFoods 1 Month Supply

That package adds up to 24704 calories total or 823 per day, I believe a starvation diet is around 600 calories so at least you are not starving but if you are active at all you will need to use 2x30 day packages a month to not be losing muscle mass or $450 per month. The upside is I'm sure its tastes good.

As an alternative with a little scratch cooking get one of these:

380 Total Servings White Rice 42 lb. Bucket Emergency Food Storage By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE?

That is 380 x 150 calorie servings for a total of 42,000 calories or 1400 calories a day for $56, of course you will want to eat more than rice every day but my point is this GOFoods company is a crock for cost effectiveness.

Plus if you want to buy 40-50lb bags of rice and beans for $25 a bag and store them yourselves the cost goes down by half.
Now I don't disagree with that however not every one as I pointed out in another thread on Wise Foods, has the storage space, land required for growing foods or raising live stock etc. This is especially true if one lives in a city where most of the population is located in this country. So Wise, Go, Mountain House, Thrive, Augason and others such foods make it practical, though not cheap. They are light weight in the case of Wise and Go Foods and easily stacked in small areas while the others generally are in #10 cans but still fairly light. Rice, beans, pastas and many can goods one can buy at the grocery store have shelf lives of 5 to 10 years including some can meats. However if one must bug out especially with a back pack a weeks supply of food would take about the same space in a back pack as a spare set of cloths and weigh less. As for the expense it when you actually look at the amount per cost it costs about as much as an average meal purchased in a fast food joint today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mypatriotsupply.com has dehydrated food for a better price.. It is where I have bought my supply, and tastes like everything else I have tried, haha.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Check the ingredients for TVP (textured vegetable protein). If it uses that stuff you may want to avoid the ones with it in it. It's Tofu and no matter what they do to it the taste is just not something I tolerate well.

Reactions: Montana Rancher

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I didn't mind TVP just don't have the need for it. Can't help but think of the dramatic variations in goods and prices trying to appeal to 3 million Preppers. I have found Costco and the the Mormon canning centers to be the best to me (and I'm not Mormon). I picked up #10 cans of rice there last Wednesday for $3.5 each and will hand them out to me students after they read One Second After over thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Don't forget your local livestock grain stores, you can still get 50 lbs of corn for about $15 and in a large galvanized garbage can with a plastic liner you can store 200lbs of raw grain, same is true for wheat, oats, and barley.

Even after purchasing the garbage can you can store 200lbs of grain for less then $100

Lets do the math on that

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would like to say the most sure-fire way to survive the food crisis is stocking up on flours, rice, beans... etc

Also, learn foraging skills as well as cooking from scratch.
I have recently learned how to build a clay oven out of earth and to cook with it out of foraged items. On top of my major food supply, I do believe this skill will serve me well.

·
8,980 Posts
Without first hand testing or knowledge, it seems that vegetable protein lasts a lot longer in storage than meat. I think this is the reason WISE Foods only sells veggie meals in the 25 year dehydrated packs.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Ok, what if I don't expect my provisions to last more than 10 to 20 years? My home canned meat will last that long - If I left it on the shelf that long. The fact of the matter is that I store a years worth of food. That will provide enough food to get to the next harvest from our garden. Even Tofu loses it flavor, color and texture over time. Come to think of it the flavor of Tofu is about the same as Crisco - with a firmer texture.

It is a good source of estrogen for women going through "the change" but I really doubt that I need the extra estrogen or that .... stuff .... on my tongue. I would be willing to eat a number of "unconventional" sources of protein before Tofu. I might force it down just before turning to cannibalism ...... maybe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts