Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A ton of you guys told me to go try out different guns until I found one I liked. I plan on following that advice but after a shooting round with the hubs today with every gun we have, I am even more certain how important that is.

I've been liking the 38 but after shooting it, the 40 semi auto and the 45 revolver today, I am IN LOVE with the 45. I put about 10 rounds through it before I was shooting one handed and hitting pretty consistently. That thing is nice! I figured I wouldn't like it because of the higher caliber, but it actually had a lot less recoil than the 40.

There have been a few posts on getting guns lately, particularly girl guns, and I want to reiterate how important it is to test them out over just handling/looking at them.

By the way, guys, shot the new AR today. SUH-WEET! I was like, dang, where'd those 30 rounds go already?! And by the way more, it doesn't have sights yet so my practice with the longbow and intuitive shooting helped a bunch. I was hitting the target more than he was. Nah nah!

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
My wife, who only started shooting 28 months ago, blew me away on our first outing with her brand new XD-9. And her second and third outings too. While I finally figured out why my aim was off, she just blew me away. The final silhouette target went home and went up on the fridge door. She was so proud.

Reactions: indie

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
My other half highly prefers a revolver over a pistol. I don't care why as I just encouraged her. Get her some speed loaders for both her 38s, showed her how to use them, & had her practice with them.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Be careful! If you try to shoot too fast, you might break a nail. :)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
My ex-wife also out shot me on our first joint range trip together. I hid the gun after that.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
On topic with try before you buy; I guess I just like buying them all so it doesn't matter. My wife has concluded we have enough guns. I could easily tell her I sold one when another comes into the family and she wouldn't know the difference but I don't do that too her, now I buy guns / ammo / components more than groceries.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
My wife is at least as good as I am. She settled on the Khar 9mm. She likes my Bushmaster M4 alot as well. I am anxious to go to the range as I want her to shoot the AK47 as well. I like the AK platform more than the AR, I think she will too.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Not nice out shooting the hubby with his own gun.
Tell my wife that please. In all seriousness, my wife usually out shoots me and it seems she doesn't even try. But that seems to be the way with females that aren't afraid to shoot, if shown proper technics<sp? and use constructive criticism and not given a cannon that scares the crap out of them.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I take it back. I'm ready to buy before I try. Just like the bow. I found my gun and I know it without a doubt. I *will* try to see if I can find one to try out, but:

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

<drool>

Just went down to the shop and tried one of these out. Fit like a glove. Plus it's hot. I mean, look at that baby!

·
Registered
855 Posts
So, I take it back. I'm ready to buy before I try. Just like the bow. I found my gun and I know it without a doubt. I *will* try to see if I can find one to try out, but:

View attachment 3282

<drool>

Just went down to the shop and tried one of these out. Fit like a glove. Plus it's hot. I mean, look at that baby!
Those commander style 1911 are great, I've been itching to shoot one the Ruger 1911s but just haven't had the opportunity yet. I already have a commander so my next 1911 will be a full size and probably a Ruger since I seem to be drawn to them.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if hubby would notice. I mean, he doesn't even know what's in the bank if I don't tell him.... :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to call the gun range in the next town and see if they have it to try out. Then I'll try the SR9, which is another I was eyeballing and a couple others if I can just for good measure. There are about 800 gun shows coming up in the next 6 months, so I might start stalking those. Just really don't want to buy from a dealer.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'm going to call the gun range in the next town and see if they have it to try out. Then I'll try the SR9, which is another I was eyeballing and a couple others if I can just for good measure. There are about 800 gun shows coming up in the next 6 months, so I might start stalking those. Just really don't want to buy from a dealer.
Gun shows are the worst places to buy because everything is marked way up and you still have to do the NIX forms because they are dealers. If you want to avoid the dealers, check out the for sale boards at your local ranges and check out some of the local classifieds for private sales.

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
Don't know about the firearm shows in your area, but Illinois as long aw you know what the MSRP is, you can deal with the guys at the show. Especially mid afternoon on Sunday

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
And so it begins... :)

I remember when I took Mrs Inor out shooting for the first time - about 20 years ago. Now, she is the one that has gun related bumper stickers on her truck and has me drilling holes in spent brass so she can make earrings out of them. She is also the one that usually initiates when "it is time to get the next one on the list". (Of course that could be because I never know how much we have in our checkbook. - It is only my job to fill the checkbook; it is her job to empty it.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts