Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a class from Black Wolfe Defense last weekend. Most of my shooting has been very formal at an official range with rules and range officers But this class is completely different than anything I've ever experienced. Absolutely ZERO static standing and shooting with the exception of 10 voluntary rounds in the beginning just for warm up.

We did:
Reloads / Mag Changes
Shooting, moving, shooting
Shooting while moving
Stating off UNARMED, acquiring the weapon, then shooting
Unknown malfunction clearing
Target sequence drills
Verbal commands
Strong hand, Two Hand, Weak hand
Barricades and obstacles
Standing, kneeling, laying side and laying back

All exercises were taught, demonstrated, completed, then completed under a timed environment. Most of them started drawing from cover or retrieving the weapon from a place where it was laid waiting for you. He added in additional stressors like yelling and odd commands. About as real world as you could get without going to a shoot house or through a formal military/paramilitary/police type of academy.

I learned a TON! When / if he offers it again, I want to take this a second time since there was sooooooo much new stuff that I couldn't soak it all in and I think the drills will help a lot. It really was a GREAT class and he put this one on for free. I think the intention was to burn 80 to 100 rounds and I probably shot closer to 125, but of my own accord, just to get better or try to tighten up on the target.

If you live in AZ and get the chance, take this class. I did it with a buddy who is ex-mil and he thoroughly enjoyed it too. He said it was TOTALLY different than what they teach in the military and that it was much more practical to CC in every day life than his previous training had been.

If you don't live in AZ, find something in your area and go take it. You will be amazed at the night and day difference between this and "range shooting" at a sterile target range.

Class was over about 48 hours ago and I'm starting to have to take Tylenol and ibuprofen because I haven't stopped smiling and my face is starting to hurt. Loaded so many rounds my fingers bled.

Home

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Some of the best training you can do is have a buddy load a snap cap or two in your mags with your back turned to cause malfunctions for you to work through. We did this a lot in SWAT school. Do some 100 yard wind sprints then draw and shoot with your heart rate and breathing all pumped up to simulate combat stress. This may sound dumb, but do it again while your buddy has a metal coffee can with rocks in it. Have him shaking the can behind your ear screaming at you while you clear malfunctions. Again this simulated the stress and confusion of combat. I will stipulate I have never had bullets coming back at me though!

Reactions: GTGallop

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
A few years ago a local gun shop offered a 1911 class that was the best one ever. I'd inherited a 1911 and it was my only handgun to which I had little knowledge. The class taught us how to strip it, clean it, reassemble with out the idiot mark. Loved the class though I know its all on youtube it was still nice to work through it with someone.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Nice job GT. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job GT. Congrats.
Oh I'm not sure congrats are in order. One of the things I learned was just how bad I suck! I barely pinged the steel target - 6" by 12".

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Doing defensive pistol training myself now with about one 2 1/2 hr private lesson per week from a local sheriff who coaches the local police department and collage teams. It has really shown my weaknesses and given structure to my pistol practice.

While it was only originally intended to be 1 or 2 lessons I enjoy the lessons and will probably continue them for another month or three.

I strongly believe that if a person is going to carry they must be able to hit the target under stress. It's all between 7 and 10 yards and very challenging.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I took a class similiar to yours a few years back. Aren't they fun?!! It sticks with you, too. Malfunction - tap, rack, bang. I don't even have to think about it, it's automatic.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a class similiar to yours a few years back. Aren't they fun?!! It sticks with you, too. Malfunction - tap, rack, bang. I don't even have to think about it, it's automatic.
One of the malfunctions he gave me was an empty chamber with the mag seated all of the way in so it "looked" unmolested. I got to the weapon and tap rack bang and sent three rounds down at the target before I even knew what was going on. Amazing how adrenaline teaches you at lightning speed.

Reactions: sideKahr

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Showed up at the range early today for another lesson. A super aggressive instructor was scaring a 1st time shooting lady with his harsh voice and firm demeanor. The instructor firmly told me I needed to enroll with him and hands me his pamphlet so I said "maybe when I can hit the paper, I'm here to meet Mike "...

Meanwhile 2 more people showed up for the "Firm Instructors" well publicized "tactical lesson" Mike finally shows up and we set up 2 targets, one at 7 yards and one at 10 yards so I can learn to swivel at the hips while maintaining proper stance and trigger squeeze.; my 1st time taking on 2 targets at once.

Bottom line is the aggressive instructors'" students" were working at 3 yards tightly gripping their pistols and spraying bullets over a 6" + groups at short range on a single target 10 feet away while Mike has me popping two targets using rapid fire with mostly 3-5" groups at 21 and 30 feet. One shot, pivot, one shot, pivot. I love an instructor who is laid back and helps me to teach myself instead of cramming information down my throat using a loud drill sergeant command voice.

I've still got a left pull but it's getting much smaller and the groups are getting tighter; just need to learn to press the top 2 fingers of my left hand tighter while maintaining the perfect trigger squeeze with loose elbows allowing some muzzle flip. I tend to shove the gun forward as I pull the trigger; better to relax and gently squeeze the trigger.
Bragging here? a bit... but I firmly believe that if you are going to carry you must be able to safely hit the target you aim at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts