Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need is a strong word. More like "want". Anyway, I have a Ruger P89 and love it. Rugers are rock solid and my EDC is an LC9. Was thinking about getting a P95 since I love the P89 so much. However, I started to consider the SR9. Really like the way it feels and looks. Not sure of the longevity however, compared to the P series. But, to really mix things up, I'm now looking at the Walther PPQ M2. I hear the trigger on the PPQ is stellar. Now I really don't know which direction to go with my purchase. I've been doing some research online but wanted to hear all of your thoughts on these three guns. Since I personally don't own any of them, does anyone have any personal working knowledge? I want to make a decision soon but am really torn. Wish I had the money for all three. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
Wish I could help, but all of my handguns are Rossi/Tausus weapons, save for a couple of Hi Point drawer guns.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a Ruger P95 with over 5,000 rounds downrange and no issues. It's built like a tank and will never fail me. I also have a LC9 for my CCW. The P95 is priced right and has more accessory options since you can use P89 and newer accessories.

Attachments

Reactions: trainershawn

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rugers tough to beat but in 9mm Glock is even tougher.
There have been some recent issues with Glock firing pins failing. I don't remember which Sheriff's office it was, but they pulled all their Glock's from duty.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I had my old P94 for decade and half with I don't know how many rounds down it. I've run P95's, P85's, P89's, and SR9's and all are great pistols for the money in my opinion. I considered buying a SR9 compact, but realized I conceal a fullsize 92Fs just fine at my size. Should I desire a compact in the future though for other needs, it would be at the top of my list. The Walther's are quality guns and various models have a nice trigger, but I wouldn't want one for a carry gun. The triggers are too light in my opinion and the only have the trigger bar for safety which isn't enough with there trigger in my opinion.

A Glock has a trigger like sponge but it's heavy enough to be safe. Never liked them though myself. If you've a P89 and bought a P95 you should have a few common springs together when buying spares. Not so with the SR9's from what I know of them, but there a nice pistol and my friends love their's. They have a nice trigger too, but have a ambi manual safety which is a very good point for a less experienced user were you to let someone else use it. I prefer manual safeties still even after all these years shooting and carrying, but carry basically Beretta's these days. Same safety as the P89 too and you might consider looking at a 92FS/M9 as another option. It's still the mainline sidearm in the military too which doesn't hurt for commonality should the opportunity arise.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Ruger makes a a great firearm and any choice will do fine. I always ask myself, "Can I get ammo for it and how much?" The firing pin issues that were reported by law enforcement was from improper cleaning. They were dumping a bunch of gun oil directly into the firing pin instead of dis assembly and cleaning. Glocks are rock solid and as well as most firearms on the market. Really it comes down to personal preference and what feels best.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
S&W M&P 9mm, Pro series if you can find one. Glock would be a very close second. No thanks on the Ruger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have both the Ruger LC9 and SR40C and both are fine pistols and have been issue free. I also have S&W Shield in 40 for hot summer carry but so far I am sticking to my old standby Officer Model 1911.

Ruger is great for a $450 gun as opposed to $1100.00 for the 1911.

Karsten

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You already have a full size how about looking at a compact The SR9C I doubt you live long enough to wear out a Ruger SR or SR9C
Own many Ruger and will always put them high on the list.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Take a look at a Springfield Armory XDsc (subcompact) in 9mm or .40 . 3" barrel, reliable, sturdy, not choosy about what it eats. Won't break the bank, either.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I would, as expected, always recommend a Ruger revolver. Since you own 9mm and probably a 40 why not try something with a bit more power.... like a 357 magnum or a 45 colt in the large frame Ruger or go all out and get the Super RedHawk in 44 mag. or larger calibers.

There is less to go wrong with a revolver and in the 357 you can use the 38 special, +P,+P+ or just use the 357 magnum at the older 45000 CUP loads. 140 grain bullet at 1500 fps from a six inch revolver is a hunting round out to 50 or 75 yards. The 158 grain bullet is down at 1300 fps when loaded to the top and it can easily stop a black bear at dangerous ranges. I used to shoot competition with my 357 4" Ruger. Hunter's pistol Silhouette and scored many 40/40 rounds with it. The distances were 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards and the metal targets had to go down to count as a hit. I am currently shooting small bore silhouette (22lr) with a rifle at similar ranges to get back into shooting. I am improving so there is hope for me.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I do like Rugers, yet I'm not up on the their more recent semi auto pistol offerings. So I'm not able to 0ffer you much help on picking between the ones you are looking at. I do like the Ruger revolvers and if I were to contemplate buying a Ruger semi auto pistol for myself it would be an SR1911.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have a number of Ruger guns and have been satisfied with all of them.

I was not satisfied with their responses to me during the shortage. S&W was the first to deliver.

I say find the options you like and buy the gun.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ok, need is a strong word. More like "want". Anyway, I have a Ruger P89 and love it. Rugers are rock solid and my EDC is an LC9. Was thinking about getting a P95 since I love the P89 so much. However, I started to consider the SR9. Really like the way it feels and looks. Not sure of the longevity however, compared to the P series. But, to really mix things up, I'm now looking at the Walther PPQ M2. I hear the trigger on the PPQ is stellar. Now I really don't know which direction to go with my purchase. I've been doing some research online but wanted to hear all of your thoughts on these three guns. Since I personally don't own any of them, does anyone have any personal working knowledge? I want to make a decision soon but am really torn. Wish I had the money for all three. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
My mother has a SR9. That being said I have only shot about 30 rounds through it. While a great safety feature I personally don't like the little flag thing that sticks up when there is a round in the chamber. The gun overall didn't feel bad but it didn't stand out in any way either. (If I shot a gun and am not in love with it I wouldn't buy it) With so many other 9mm out there I would rather spend the $500 or so elsewhere.

I'm not sure if you had looked at the 9mm Glocks? I bought my first Glock (30 SF) a few months ago and love it! Once I narrowed my focus down to three guns I traveled to the local range and fired each weapon. I shot various distances with each gun and took a picture after each distance so I could compare more in depth later and noted anything I did/didn't like about it on a note pad.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am a big fan of Springfield Armory XD semi-autos.

The new 5.25" XDM Competition in 9mm would be worth a look.

I prefer the XD45 Tacticals - 5" long slide, 14 rounds, night sights.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you're stuck on 9mm the SR9 has a great reputation. Personally I'd have to go with either the new SR45 or SR1911 but I'm a .45 ACP kind of guy. I haven't heard anything bad about the SR series of pistols yet so it'd be hard to go wrong with one.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have the M&P 9mm, the 9mm compact and the 40. love m&P like crazy! i dig my beretta. i have several 10/22s for ruger and the sr22. the m&p sport is illegal in ca. so ill buy one from fl and get a new slide on it to make it ca legal its my aug purchase. because apparently the slide will kill you. i can buy the rest of the gun though.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My first 9mm was P85 and it is like everyone has indicated, A TANK

I am now a glock fan because it is so easy to shoot.

1. pull it out
2. pull the trigger

With any other pistol (like the P85/95)
1. Pull it Out
2. take off the safety
3. Pull harder on the first round as it is double action
4. Adjust your pull for subsequent rounds as it is not single action

In a kill or be killed situation I would rather be thinking about 2 things instead of 4

yes that is pretty basic but that added with the reaiabilbity of Glocks and it is a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts