Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TISAS Classic 1911-A1 45ACP 5" GI BLACK $399.00 SHIPS FREE

For those in free states (we in CA can't enjoy this) a new 1911 for $400 I would not expect much, but the reviews are solid. I like the RIA myself which a 45 model with adj sites, low profile hammer, skeleton trigger can be had for 40/50 dollars more. Still if you don't have th money or can't find the often sold out RIA this looks decent.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've owned many 1911s. several Colts, a Llama, a Thompson, 4 Springfields, an Ithaca, a Norinco and a Remington. Out of all I prefer the Springfield. I still own two of them. Believe it or not the Chinese made Norinco was very respectable. Very well made and priced low. The Llama was the worst. It worked OK but parts didn't interchange with anything else. My Springfields will shoot anything I feed them, right out of the box with no mods.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Do the total price Buds always has a catch. The FFL transfer fee if you pay by credit card ect it adds up fast.
Local shop often sell Shooter Arms 1911 if you looking for a discount 45 they maybe an option and in you hand price will be lower.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do the total price Buds always has a catch. The FFL transfer fee if you pay by credit card ect it adds up fast.
Local shop often sell Shooter Arms 1911 if you looking for a discount 45 they maybe an option and in you hand price will be lower.
I wasn't aware Bud's charges a transfer fee on credit cards though they do charge about 3-4% more for credit card charges. I sure bought a few guns via Bud's though all have been in their brick and mortar store. Now your local FFL dealer usually charges to do the back ground check and transfer the gun in and out. Here it is about $25 but it does vary from state to state.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Over the years I have had the opportunity to shoot many a 1911 from different Mfg's, no hands on with this one but going by the specs and reviews it looks to be a good buy. I read of a couple of instances in the reviews of the magazine not locking the slide back, and some sharp edges. Which are very minor issues and can be attributed to it being new or the magazine.

It's 410.00 on a card and then there are the transfer fee which can add up. Even so still a bargan...kind of like the Norinco 1911 back in the 90's.

I've bought from buds before and It's either been quick shipping or a lengthy wait...Is there is an in between?...if there is I haven't seen it...lol.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The Norinco copies from the mid to late 70's were well worth the price. They could be cleaned up to make a pretty good discount 45.
Their MK90 (copy AK47) were very good.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Little eye candy and history. A Norinco MAK90 AK47 clone Issued just as the Brady bill went into effect The stock was changed by them to comply.
It has fired countless round flawlessly . Not a tack drive they never will be but clear the area up close drop a deer a reasonable range yep.
I could be wrong but I think it was a tad under 300 then. And you could buy them all day long.
Air gun Trigger Wood Grey Gun barrel

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've ordered two guns from Buds and would not hesitate to do so again. Both were long guns so never a HG and in California we can only buy "certain"
hand guns that have been approved by our state for civilian purchases; its on the manufacturer of the gun to go through a lengthy and costly process
to get their gun approved. And with no variation - for instance if you submit a blued pistol the stainless models will not be approved under the same
application. A manufacturer like Rock Island Armory who can't meet demand in the free states isn't going to bother with submitting new applicaitons
to CA - why bother - its not like you need the market.

In "SHTF" revolvers and 1911's could one day rule the roost in HG's. Glocks probably a good distant 3rd place. By this I mean as things wear down,
parts are taken from the has beens, and things wear out there are enough 1911's out there to insure their place in the future - much longer then
other guys. I no longer have the 45 ACP as any kind of serious weapon in my arsenal. I have one heirloom nothing more. However watching this
"crisis" in guns/ammo unfold I'm not sure it wouldn't behoove me to go back and get one and add a few hundred more rounds to the lock box.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I turn 21 in a very long 2 months, and eagerly await my first handgun purchase. I'm thinking of a 1911, and doing all the research I can. Thanks!
Do your home work on 1911 no handgun in history has been copied more. Those on the market range for dangerous to outstanding. So do the price ranges.
Buying a lower end with the idea of improving it can cost more than buying a good one to start with.
If you want quality that will last it will not be in the 400 price range but it does not need to be over a 1000 some where in middle will serve most.
Example is the Ruger SR1911 a 650-700 dollar 1911 that delivers 1000 worth of firearm. Another to look at is the Para ordinance has been at it a long time and does it right.
Colt is a standard to judge others by but may not be the leader in many case any more.
You pay a premium for a .45 you can buy very good fire arms in other calibers for less.
The 400 range .45 are ok for for some only you can make that call.
Example Shooters arms 400-429 Their elite add 10 or 20 bucks

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased an Auto Ordnance .45 three or so years ago and love it.

Not much is written about this company's .45s but I find them of very good quality and they will "take a licking and keep on ticking".

Check 'em out!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I turn 21 in a very long 2 months, and eagerly await my first handgun purchase. I'm thinking of a 1911, and doing all the research I can. Thanks!
I love the 1911 and it is my defensive pistol of choice. I love the .45ACP cartridge and the feel of the 1911. That being said I don't recommend it to everyone, they are great firearms if you get one that is reliable (most from the major manufacturers would be). They can be finicky with HP ammo and they don't fit everyone's live style. I would recommend finding someone that owns a 1911 and asking them if you can shoot it if you have never fired one. I think everyone should fire a 1911 at least once and I would never try to discourage someone from buying one. Best advice I can give to anyone buying their first pistol is shoot as many guns as you can to get an idea what you like before you buy. A lot of ranges rent handguns and this is a great way to try out guns you've never shot. If you know people that own handguns you'd like to try out ask them to go to the range with you. Like most shooters I know I've always been willing to let someone try out my guns, even total strangers at my local gun club so if you happen to be at a range, try striking up a conversation with shooters that have something you might be interested in. I'm sure you'll find that they'd be happy to let you run off a magazine with it.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've only had one real "base" 1911 - the Rock Island Armory. I bought it so that I wouldn't be using my dads' vintage
and used it for about 700 rounds. Odd thing was it cost me $490 including all my lovely taxes and fees - it was the
model with the adj sights, and other features they call "tactical" but I never added anything to it but a magazine.
After 700 rounds I sold it for $475. Cheapest rental I've ever had :)

Do your home work on 1911 no handgun in history has been copied more. Those on the market range for dangerous to outstanding. So do the price ranges.
Buying a lower end with the idea of improving it can cost more than buying a good one to start with.
If you want quality that will last it will not be in the 400 price range but it does not need to be over a 1000 some where in middle will serve most.
Example is the Ruger SR1911 a 650-700 dollar 1911 that delivers 1000 worth of firearm. Another to look at is the Para ordinance has been at it a long time and does it right.
Colt is a standard to judge others by but may not be the leader in many case any more.
You pay a premium for a .45 you can buy very good fire arms in other calibers for less.
The 400 range .45 are ok for for some only you can make that call.
Example Shooters arms 400-429 Their elite add 10 or 20 bucks

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I would be interested in knowing it this particular 1911 has a throated feed ramp or if it it has the standard feed ramp. Does it have a beveled magazine well? these are a couple of good to have touches that normally come on 1911's in the 600.00 to 800.00 price range.

Smitty,
I agree you get what you pay for, Turkish shotguns usually represent good quality for the price point. I'm wondering if the same applies here, does this Turkish 1911 have the reliability upgrades that come standard on slightly higher price 1911's..anyone?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Honest.....Being a 1911 guy and owning 10 of them and pricing out a Custom Officer Model....That pistol is going to need some work.

For 1 the trigger is going to be a weak spot
Hammer and grip safety are going to be uncomfortable after extended shooting sessions
You will want to upgrade the sight as the GI Blade and little front post S*&k
The thumb safety is way small.
Mecgar mags are about the cheapest mags out there and can have issue...Bad mags cause major FTF issues.

I just did the above to a Colt Gov model 1911 in .38 Super ( Still looking for someone that can install front and rear sight)

Buy the time you get the pistol where you want it after learning the 1911 Platform you might find you would have been further ahead to buy a used Colt or Springfield Armory. Or a new Ruger SR1911 comes with all the upgrades for not a lot more.

You don't want a SD/Fighting Gun you need to order parts from Turkey if something breaks, Recoil spring wears out and if it does run it is going to cost you shop fees to get it right IF you can find someone that will work on it.

I would just be Leary and study all my options.

Karsten

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thats the rub!
Does it come with features that are now standard with 1911's in the 6-8 hundred dollar range? I know the Auto Ordanance that goes for around 450.00 bucks does not have those features. One might find themselves in a position of save now/pay later just to get reliability upgrades? I wished Buds had a bit more detail in the description. Like whether or not it's throated for HP ammo? Be nice to know...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've owned many 1911s. several Colts, a Llama, a Thompson, 4 Springfields, an Ithaca, a Norinco and a Remington. Out of all I prefer the Springfield. I still own two of them. Believe it or not the Chinese made Norinco was very respectable. Very well made and priced low. The Llama was the worst. It worked OK but parts didn't interchange with anything else. My Springfields will shoot anything I feed them, right out of the box with no mods.
I have a Norinco 1911, carried it on duty and still have it today. Shoots real nice.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
I've owned 1911's for 40 years now. The fanciest I ever got was Colt. The Auto Ordnance a friend had was solid, Springfield base GI model is great.
Right now I have two Colts (Government Model, Commander), a Rock Island Armory plain-jane GI specification, and (I don't know what the hell I was thinking) a Taurus PT1911.
My recomendation is to forget all the tactical stuff, all it does is add unnecessary money to the bottom line.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rock Island Armory GI Model. I would not hesitate to bet my life on mine. It cost me $399 five years ago, I have no idea what they are now.

Reactions: Infidel
1 - 20 of 24 Posts