Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people’s Debit cards are limited to $200 per day cash withdrawal. In a SHTF scenario you may need more than $200 a day and you may only have one day before all ATM transactions are stopped. So what to do if you are caught without a lot of cash and the bank has locked its door or is even just closed on the weekend? You’ll want the security of having your money in your hand.

Go to your supermarket and buy a $500 money order (or several of them) with your debit card. As soon as you have them turn right around and cash them in with the person who issued them to you. You can do this at the post office but they may not have much cash until the end of the day and they are closed on Sunday. Supermarkets have lots of cash and are open 7 days a week.

·
Registered
492 Posts
as a back up start putting aside money in your BOB coins like $1, $.25 and assorted bills. Start gradually, that is about as liquid and you can be. If you have to tap in to it from time to time at least you know its there. Problem is you may have to tap into it to buy gasoline today. As others have suggested. Seek other means of currency. Think of things of value you can barter/trade for goods/services. We all have excess of something: bullets, first aid supplies, food, water, fuel, building mat'ls and even services(gunsmithing, canning, sewing, welding) Form a tentative plan now, knowing it will likely change so be flexible. Adapt and overcome. Many of us here will likely sit tight and ride it out because we are somewhat prepared. Like in the gold rush days. The fellers selling the shovels made way more than the fellers buying them. Think of the many who are unprepared. Although many of us will likely avoid them and the appearance of having desireable resources.

just my $.02

punch

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I have a little cash on hand for emergencies. By the time the SHTF, I doubt cash will readily be available anywhere, let alone ATMs and Banks. Places that do are likely to become areas highly vulnerable to being robbed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Agreed. Cash will only be good in the beginning. If the emergency situation goes on for any length of time, money will be worth nothing

·
Registered
280 Posts
And, your bank may still be open....
but they can shut down your card electronically.....
in an instant.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Don't use them. SHTF cash or credit will not do much good.
Better to invest in steel and brass. A good 9mm in the pocket will be worth much more that your debit card.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed. Cash will only be good in the beginning. If the emergency situation goes on for any length of time, money will be worth nothing
That's my point cash will be worth something in the beginning and for quite some time. It would be foolish in my opinion to think that when the SHTF cash will be useless overnight. MANY any of those who do not prep will still using cash as their base for evaluating things.

How the heck are we going to go to a silver or gold standard in 72 hours or even a month after the SHTF. It will take some time if it ever gets back to that. Look at Syria which is in a semi-collapsed economy and they're getting their money for their central bank printed in Russia. Again Syria is printing money from Russia. Holding on by a thin thread.

There are many lessons before us take a look and see what is happening world-wide and not just the USA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been starting to question the wisdom of keeping more money than what I need for month to month expenses in the bank. What I earn in interest on my savings is a joke. Add in identity theft and SHTF makes me think about just burying it in the back yard.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Great idea and one I never thought of for those who use plastic on a regular basis for day to day transactions. Im pretty much a cash only kind of guy these days and have been for several years now.

Thats another great idea on saving a little cash at home. I have a 5 gallon bucket and at the end of every day since I use cash for all my purchases, I often have 2-4 bucks in change I put in it daily. It really adds up too! I usually get about 1500-1800 fun dollars cashing all my Pennys, Nickles and Dimes only! It usually takes a year to a year and a half to fill a bucket up. Its a great way to save a gang of cash that you wont be tempted to splurge and spend. To get the most of it instead of going to coin star at the store I go to my bank which a branch has a coin sorting machine and deposits the amount in your account for free. My bank has gotten so used to me pulling this stunt that as soon as they see me come in with a bucket they bring out extra boxes to have them ready to clear out the machine to continue sorting my stash of change. This has been the easiest and most painless way to save a good stash of money for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We keep very little in the bank for debit card use each month. We pull our extra cash out and it goes in the safe hiding places. We keep enough in our savings account to keep it open and the rest is hiding.........

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I covert cash into valuable metals. Steel,brass,lead ect.
I used to pick up some silver then I found out lead stops zombie's just as well as silver bullets

·
Registered
570 Posts
I covert cash into valuable metals. Steel,brass,lead ect.
I used to pick up some silver then I found out lead stops zombie's just as well as silver bullets
Gotta be ready for werewolves though, and the only trick I know for them is silver bullets. ;)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I know some college fraternities keep $3,000 to $15,000 in cash and readily accessible because on any given Friday night they could see a SHTF scenario. Not the same kind we are prepping for, but life shattering to those guys (fights, DUI, emergency medical, police involvement) it keeps things moving and maintains maximum low profile.

If a fat wad of cash can save your butt on a bad weekend of mixers and parties, imagine what it can do in a real emergency.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Short version of a long story. We found a steal on a car the day before the Y2K melt down was "suppose" to happen. Bank would not give me MY money to purchase the car, $2500. $6000 car and the guy wanted $2500 CASH tonight. Big run on cash and the bank refused to hand over the cash. Most they would give me was $200 cash. As we all know nothing happened that night and the next day car was still around for $6000 now FIRM on price.
Over the next few weeks we withdrew all our cash out of the bank. Bank account is NEVER allowed to exceed $1000, just enough to cover the mortgage. Any extra gets drawn out and taken home. Its actually worked out to be a great way to save money. Now we have to think about spending money instead of just swiping a card and its gone. Just hope I can remember all the hiding spots.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Don't know what they are doing for storage but, several from the shooters club to which I belong have converted to cash and/or silver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts