Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so at my second camp(firefighter camp) I realized very fast that 90% of the returning campers were beyond stupid, so I couldn't reason with them using brains:-?. First problem I ran into was not being liked(didn't care I wasn't there to make friends)or accepted. Now the reason I'm posting about this is there are people like this everywhere. They are very hard to get along with and talk to/communicate with. I quickly found my self at the top of the $h!t list with these people. Most of whom didn't pay attention and didn't know how to do the task at hand when given to us. I found it very hard to get anything done with these people in my group. Not only do to the fact that they were stupid and didn't pay attention, but also not being liked by them. Now in a real life setting being liked and accepted is a part of effective team work. My question for you guys is how do you get along with stupid people? How do you leader them, and how do you be lead by them? I found myself in all of these situations and found it to be very hard and I couldn't come up with answer at camp. Now I'm still young and dumb here I sure you guys out there have ran into the same problem, so anything thing will be more then helpful.:p

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Maybe, just maybe they are thinking the same way about you...just saying.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, just maybe they are thinking the same way about you...just saying.
This is very true, but when a kid says a girl has a sinkhole on her head and gets pissed when he's told its an indention and not a sinkhole and what the difference is... well he's stupid.

G

·
You don't have to educate them. you are their peer. you may have come across as a know it all to that 90% you speak of. instead of correcting them give them an alternative. if there is a good thing in what they say make a fusion of all your ideas. by subtly directing in this way you show your leaders that you can lead...impress your superiors and try to help your peers, but do so in a humble, friendly way...joke with them and be serious with your own learning..if someone asks you help explain/show them the proper way.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..My question for you guys is how do you get along with stupid people?..
If we let stupid people into our group we'd be as stupid as they are!
And by stupid I don't mean IQ level, I mean sloppy, disorganised, argumentative, disruptive pain in asses who are a threat to the survival of the group. Heck, Forrest Gump proved anybody can be a great soldier, he can be in my group anytime..:)

"If you hang around with losers you become a loser"- Donald Trump
"The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him"- Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)
"Bad company corrupts good character" (Bible:1 Corinthians 15:33)
"The main thing in life is to be surrounded by good men" -Fieldmarshal Friedrich von Paulus
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Bible: Proverbs 13:20)
"Associate yourself with men of good quality,for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company"- George Washington

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was not saying anything negative about you, believe me when I say I have heard a lot of "uneducated" things as a medic and ER Tech. I just try to think of them as uninformed or uneducated in some things and I always tried to help them to learn and understand. I am always learning new things each and every day and I hope that I never stop learning...JM2C

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about in everyday life though? For me it'd be school but for most of you guys it'd be work how do you get along with them there?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just be polite to them in a neutral way, being neither friendly nor unfriendly towards them.
But if you work alongside them in construction or handling heavy machinery watch your back or they'll kill you..;)

PS- even worse are the psychos who'll deliberately try to kill or maim you, we had a kid like that at school, he "accidentally" jammed a red-hot poker in my face in metalwork class, and another time he swung on the soccer goalposts and "accidentally" dislodged the crossbar on my head..

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
from one fire fighter to another, we are not known for being the smartest bunch, even look at pump controls, they are so simple I have seen people still not get it :)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Ok so at my second camp(firefighter camp) I realized very fast that 90% of the returning campers were beyond stupid, so I couldn't reason with them using brains:-?. First problem I ran into was not being liked(didn't care I wasn't there to make friends)or accepted. Now the reason I'm posting about this is there are people like this everywhere. They are very hard to get along with and talk to/communicate with. I quickly found my self at the top of the $h!t list with these people. Most of whom didn't pay attention and didn't know how to do the task at hand when given to us. I found it very hard to get anything done with these people in my group. Not only do to the fact that they were stupid and didn't pay attention, but also not being liked by them. Now in a real life setting being liked and accepted is a part of effective team work. My question for you guys is how do you get along with stupid people? How do you leader them, and how do you be lead by them? I found myself in all of these situations and found it to be very hard and I couldn't come up with answer at camp. Now I'm still young and dumb here I sure you guys out there have ran into the same problem, so anything thing will be more then helpful.:p
Firefighter...In an earlier post from you I got the same sentiment about fellow firefighters...they are dumb and you are not.... I begin to wonder if your IQ is so high or is it your hubris....I do not know...but if you are so smart and the world so dumb....and folks contend against you so.....who is wrong? fire fighter....think long about this...maybe you are not being social..maybe people dislike you because you are arrogant...young man...unless you are an einstein maybe you are an asshole.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here in Britain most of our firefighters are dumb and gutless.
Every so often there's a story in the news about how they just stood idly by and let people die of drowning or stuck down a sinkhole etc because they wouldn't go in and rescue them "because of the risk on health and safety grounds".
Hell, if they don't want to take risks they should resign and be supermarket shelf fillers!

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Maybe they act dumb to get your goat. If I got fed up with it I'd ask if they got past third grade or something similar.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have found that you have to step back and let them fail miserably and do so repeatededly until they arrive at the conclusion that perhaps they don't know everything and perhaps someone else is more knowledgable and can better lead the way. Question is can you afford to hang in there long enough for them to figure that out?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have found that you have to step back and let them fail miserably and do so repeatededly until they arrive at the conclusion that perhaps they don't know everything and perhaps someone else is more knowledgable and can better lead the way. Question is can you afford to hang in there long enough for them to figure that out?
What he said.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
24,346 Posts
This is going to be a real test for you.

How to Win Friends & Influence People: Dale Carnegie: 9780671027032: Amazon.com: Books

The book has been around for decades, but the human condition hasn't changed one bit. Having the ability to interact with people is a skill you are going to need for the rest of your life. Read it, and practice what you learn.

A couple of facts you might also want to consider. You aren't as smart as you think you are, and people aren't always as dumb as you think they are. Nobody likes pushy, know-it-alls, and they will instinctively work against them.
There is more to being a team member than being technically and tactically proficient at the job.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Incidentally I read a Tom Clancy (?) fictional book some years ago, can't remember the title but it centred on a US tank unit set in the cold war period in Germany.
The unit commander didn't like one of his tank commanders who he regarded as a "stupid clown" who'd be shaky if war ever broke out, so he decides to transfer him out to get rid of him.
But before he can do it World War Three starts as Russki tank columns begin pouring into Germany, and his unit finds itself outnumbered in the front line and begins taking heavy losses, so he's forced to order a withdrawal.
As he pulls out, he glances back and sees the last tank standing it's ground to the last second, calmly pouring shot after shot into the Russian armoured spearhead with devastating effect.
It's the "stupid clowns" tank..
The moral?- today's "clown" might be tomorrow's hero when it hits the fan..:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Firefighter...In an earlier post from you I got the same sentiment about fellow firefighters...they are dumb and you are not.... I begin to wonder if your IQ is so high or is it your hubris....I do not know...but if you are so smart and the world so dumb....and folks contend against you so.....who is wrong? fire fighter....think long about this...maybe you are not being social..maybe people dislike you because you are arrogant...young man...unless you are an einstein maybe you are an asshole.
Your right about that I have had alot of people call me and asshole know it all, and I don't like to be social because I feel like most the people are stupid/don't like me(my age that is). I need to work hard at being social with more people my age. I always forget that I can learn something from everyone, but I forget that some people know more then me in other subjects. Your probably right about my pride getting in the way too. I try real hard to impress peers and adults every chance I get, but forget big of a know it all asshole I can make my self look.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
In the online PC wargame "Iron Front", an inexperienced newcomer joined in and called in an artillery strike on an enemy village.
"What the hell did you do that for you stupid idiot?" asked some other players.
"I saw artillery was available so I used it" he replied.

So I said to him "Good for you mate, you don't pussyfoot around, you can be my squad leader anytime you like!"

The reason the other players didn't like it was because they were f****** around like ballerinas trying to fight the battle with just rifles.
They could have called in arty themselves but they must have forgotten a basic doctrine of war- Never fear to use overwhelming devastating firepower, let the fear be your enemies! ..:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts