Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am not PC. My daughter is a daughter not a son even at 30 she is my Daughter. She has matured into a very good shot over her life time. Dad has made sure she was a good selection of fire arms to use and own. She ask for another AR with open sites but flexible. I opened the parts box and was one part short of assembling another one. Weapons are like motorcycles the longer you have them the more parts you collect.
Phone call produced the stripped upper receiver I needed from a friend still new in the wrapping.
When all layed out all of the weapon functioning parts were Colt Mil spec.
Colt Lower and factory trigger and springs
Colt BCG, and heavy buffer
Colt supplied Mil Spec Nato 1 in 7 5.56 barrel with Front F gas block
A rear site that is the same height require for use with F block sitting on the gun vault
An except able Rogers stock in another box
A complete free float fore arm assembly and sling in another box. Free float barrel is nice but not a requirement for a good weapon.
The front hand grip I have a few of them laying around and a quick run to Fleet farm for a 140 lune light
A few tools, pot of HD coffee, Lock the dogs out of the room and in a short time an full assembled AR15 Colt.
Letting it warm up a bit then going out to test fire it , I think she will like it.
AmandanewC.JPG

·
Registered
634 Posts
My Daughter really wanted a Bow for Christmas, (She is 11). So that's what she got. I found a decent Bear Compound for her. When she first opened it up I had to crank the thing all the way down and she still had trouble pulling it back. We have been working on it almost every day for her to build up the strength to shoot it on her own. It has taken about a month and a half but she can shoot it on her own now and I have even got to dial it up a bit. Now its just working on forum and aim. (THANK YOU HUNGER GAMES) I am pretty sure that's the reason she wanted one but hey whatever works and she has not lost interest in it.

I think Next year she will be ready for Her own gun, will find her a nice 22. That will be a fun day to go get it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
No kids here, 24 nephews and nieces most on my wife's side just 8 on mine. One of my nieces showed an early interest in shooting none of the others did. She was given a 10/22 at 17. At 21 she was given a 38/357 revolver and six months later a lever action 38/357 she still uses. Now she's 25 and better weapons trained then I am. She told me over the holidays her co issued MP5 is her absolute favorite in the whole world but she'll never part with the 357's we gave her - until she has her own daughter.

·
RIP Johnny
179 Posts
I have 2 daughters, who are different but alike. My oldest took up deer hunting with me as a teenager while the youngest didn't want anything to do with it .After the oldest took her 1st deer with her mom's 30-30 I bought her a Remington 870 20 gauge with changeable chokes and scoped it so she can use it for other types of hunting if she wishes. The youngest went into the Marines active duty just a week out of high school. Now after marrying she now is into deer hunting, thanks to her husband. Both are big proponents of the 2nd amendment and liberty. As a Dad I couldn't be more proud.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My daughter is ten. She has fired small caliber weapons. This was done safely and on an indoor shooting range. When I was her age, I had rifles and shotguns. I shot barn rats, paper targets and small game. Her targets are far from perfect. However, she has improved over the last few months. I would rather that my child know how to safely handle a weapon should the need arise. All weapons in my home are secured in gun safes with the exception of my carry weapon.

Hiding your weapons from your kids only causes them to have more curiosity when they discover them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Great job Smitty, you should be proud that you raised her right. My boys are still very young (oldest is 8) and just starting to get into shooting. Had the oldest boy out with the .22 over the summer and the youngest is still on the BB gun. I also have a Matthews Genesis bow here that they'll both learn to shoot as they get a bit older. Probably get my oldest shooting it over the summer. A deep respect for firearms and what they can do goes a long way.

-Infidel

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great job Smitty, you should be proud that you raised her right. My boys are still very young (oldest is 8) and just starting to get into shooting. Had the oldest boy out with the .22 over the summer and the youngest is still on the BB gun. I also have a Matthews Genesis bow here that they'll both learn to shoot as they get a bit older. Probably get my oldest shooting it over the summer. A deep respect for firearms and what they can do goes a long way.

-Infidel
When my sons were very young And I was home with them on a rain day. We had a Pellet gun that shot tiny darts. The target hung on a door leading upstairs. Needless to say over the years that door got shoot full of dart holes. The door was saved we we did that house and was in the basement here for many years It may still be here. That was the start for them. Latter was a Marlin 22 bolt, to a Winchester 190 .22 after that wide range of shooting. By the time they hit basic training the m16 was second nature to them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My 7 year old niece wanted to shoot my 9mm the last time we were fishing at our lake property. I fish armed because a renter who got evicted nearby release two pet alligators that grew to big to keep as pets. My best friends dad and my neighbor shot and killed one gator and it was over 6' long. Now a 6 foot gator won't bother me but it would set after an 7 yr old with no reservation. My nephew is even younger and I don't want to think about having to hit a gator between the bumps on top his head if he has a kid in his mouth.
I had to tell my niece that she was too young to shoot just yet. She said that she fired a toy gun before. I had to tell her that I don't believe in having gun toys, that guns are for killing people. She then asked maybe when I'm 8? I told her we will talk about it when you're eight. And I have a single-shot .22 just waiting for her and I'll teach her gun safety as well. She a good kid, smarter than her uncle punch.

punch

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Age they start depends where your at. Here many start with a .22 at 7-8. But that is with an adult right there. Hand guns come much later.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm one of five girls in my family, I was always the most interested in anything outdoors growing up. I really appreciate everything my dad did with me looking back, I had friends who's dad's didn't do so much with them, and it's a shame. He taught me how to fish, camp, shoot anything, etc. It was the best thing he could have ever given me! We still shoot together every chance we get, it's something we'll always share.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts