Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if anything can we prepare for? What do you think will be the next target? What should we prepare for?

I have increased the cash I have stashed. I have topped off our propane tank and filled all the little ones. I added 4 50 gallon containers of water. Our food supplies are in good shape.

I thought about @Slippy and his spikes when I read this:
Top cybersecurity official warns of more ransomware attacks
"It’s time for the United States to start putting heads on spikes when it comes to confronting and dismantling ransomware groups," Kitchen said.

"If President Biden does not confront Vladimir Putin about the ransomware groups perpetrating from within Russia, he will be failing in his duty to protect the United States from these types of attacks," he added.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
This sounds like undocumented worry to me. I've pulled up a few forums in my day, and sooner or later the hacks start playing "us vs. them." Sure, I've known people who go way overboard in reading and responding to the stresses of unknown "experts," but in the end it usually winds up as momentary angst.

In all of the 20 plus years some of us have endured on the 'net, was any member arrested simply for opining on a new gossipy announcement he heard or printed? Was an entire gossip column ever locked up en-masse and never heard from again? The worst I ever got in 15 to 20 years on the 'net was a singular terse drubbing from a forum monitor.

I believe there are three grocery stores within my area. Never saw a Nazi, never saw a "food robbery," and never was I held up at gunpoint for insider gossip info. Gossip columns are for fun, not for creating a "enemy target list."

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
What if anything can we prepare for? What do you think will be the next target? What should we prepare for?

I have increased the cash I have stashed. I have topped off our propane tank and filled all the little ones. I added 4 50 gallon containers of water. Our food supplies are in good shape.

I thought about @Slippy and his spikes when I read this:
Top cybersecurity official warns of more ransomware attacks
With as successful as these ransomware cyberattacks have been, it is a safe bet it's going to happen again.
However, it might depend on the attackers and whether they actually want to affect a whole country/economy. With the pipeline hack, the supposed attackers sent out a message indicating they didn't intend to affect such a large percentage of the country. They stated their main targets are normally just big corporations, not infrastructure or commodities.
But with the latest attack on the beef industry, which admittedly I'm not as familiar with, that tactic might not be the same for all ransom hacking groups.

We prepare for it the same as we'd prepare for any disaster that might affect the whole country. Square away food, water, fuel, cash and other trading goods, and keep weapons at the ready and in working order.
Depending on the system hit, the impact could be tremendous.
Or they could hit Facebook and do us all a big favor. :D

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
For 2 days I was battling Russian and Chinese hackers. One of my co-workers opened a port to allow himself the ability to see his fish tank camera while he was not at work (He keeps salt water fish at work). so they must have scanned for open ports and were able to see those two ports..

plus they exploited an opening I had for our VoIP pbx - I shut that down pretty quickly when i saw calls going to the Bahamas

They were also trying to get into our VPN connection.

We have been attack free for 2 days

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These hacks are becoming more brazen and frequent. Water, electricity, gas, shipping, etc. are all controlled by computers. I do not know enough about IT to understand how it all works. I do agree with @Kauboy FB going away would be good for a lot of reasons.

@Maine-Marine glad you got it under control.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
My guess would be the water supply will be next. Then the grids gas, oil, electric and pipe lines. Milk the us for what it's worth before winter then shut up down and freeze us out. By next spring we'll be begging for a bowl of rice.

Biden won't do a thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With the latest attack on the pipeline on the east coast I definitely think it will happen again. I have extra gas, propane and cash. Not sure what else to do. Water supply attacks would really hurt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What if anything can we prepare for?
In the area of information security, the same approaches can be applied as for any other area of security.
The tools are slightly different, but the general principles are very similar.
What do you think will be the next target?
Any object.
If the design of the facility and its safety are carried out by hipsters in short pants or too greedy top managers
who are ready to sacrifice someone else's safety for their own selfish purposes.
Reasonably smart people talked about such threats many years ago.
But who listened to them then and who will remember their words now?
What should we prepare for?
Perhaps to the fact that taxpayers will again pay for the mistakes of vain dummies.
These hacks are becoming more brazen and frequent.
The reason is not that the so-called "hackers" are smart, but that the guards are incompetent or greedy.
The words "hacker" and "hacking" have been so devalued by journalists over the past decades that they call them any student who has not even tried to understand the operation of automation.
I do not know enough about IT to understand how it all works.
Nothing is impossible. If you wish, you can learn everything you need.
I heard that there is an American proverb, the meaning of which is roughly the following: if you don’t know something, then your money will go there.
I will thank you if someone can tell me how this proverb sounds exactly.

Most people are completely nonchalant about their computers and gadgets.
Routers and IP cameras are left with the default settings. There is nothing to "hack", everything is open there anyway.
Study your equipment, know what you own. It is not always fast, not always immediately clear, but always useful.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Anything and Everything is a potential target. And its not just Ransomware. I think techno-terrorist are probably working on all kinds of stuff. Those Antifa boys sitting in their momma's basement in their underware, are planning something as you read this.

Cell Phone networks
911 dispatch centers
TV stations
Think of anything that would disrupt normal everyday life for most people and you have your targets.

How to prepare ?

Besides the normal stuff, like food, water, fuel, ammo. Better have a secondary means of communications and make sure critical items are de-internetted. IOT is a risky technology.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
IOT is a risky technology.
Even more so now that Amazon has activated its "Sidewalk" networking technology.
I'm keeping an eye on how long that will take to get hacked and completely exploited.
If any of you have any Amazon networked device, click the link and consider yourselves officially warned.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Folklore some excellent points. Sorry I am not familiar with the saying. I do agree with the sentiment

I agree @Demitri.14 I believe a lot of our newer members overlook a secondary communication device. I don't believe that Aldis lamp will work for most.

@Kauboy I had never heard of Amazons sidewalk. I clicked the link and read about it. Yikes!

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
@Kauboy I had never heard of Amazons sidewalk. I clicked the link and read about it. Yikes!
Most people will be completely unaware. All such devices are automatically "opted in" unless the user takes action to opt out. Without advertising it, most won't know.
Remember 2 years ago when Amazon released that "Show" device that was basically a two-way video chat interface? They recommended you use it as an alarm clock... next to your bed...
It's only a matter of time.
That cloud hack that affected a ton of celebrities a few years ago will pale in comparison to what is coming when this gets cracked.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Even more so now that Amazon has activated its "Sidewalk" networking technology.
I'm keeping an eye on how long that will take to get hacked and completely exploited.
If any of you have any Amazon networked device, click the link and consider yourselves officially warned.
I looked at that link.
I do not have any of that, nor are any of our household applianes (or anything, actually) connected to the "internet of things".
We have no "smart TV", nor would I allow one in my house.
I even put black electrical tape over the camera on my lap top.

I'm a Luddite.

Reactions: Kauboy and Auntie

·
Registered
33 Posts
We prepare for it the same as we'd prepare for any disaster that might affect the whole country. Square away food, water, fuel, cash and other trading goods, and keep weapons at the ready and in working order.
This. You need clean drinking water, preserved food, and depending on where you live either a way to keep warm in winter, a way to keep cool in summer, or both. Of course I believe everybody should have a home defense firearm and know how to use it as well, but that's a personal choice.

Once you have those things covered you should have at least basic first aid knowledge and supplies. Cash on hand is also a big one.

Having these things covered will see you through your local natural disasters along with supply shortages and disruptions. Really it will cover the most likely things that we are going to face and give you a solid base to build off of for the others.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Flip the "main" on the fuse panel for a weekend, maybe give your neighbor your cell phone to keep and you should have a pretty good idea of what areas of your plan of action need attention.

Reactions: Auntie and Kauboy

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I wonder if we are placing too much angst on the idea of our "enemy." I've never seen a weirdo in cammo jump out of my wife's bushes and spit out an epithet in sterling WWII German.

I mean, if you sit long enough in Madison's "Joey's Anchor Inn," I guarantee you will be fighting someone or something within the hour. And most of those guys have never taken a survival class.

So, if all of this has some reference to your life, do we really need a militaristic plan of action? I mean, if you go to a full house Packer football game I can guarantee someone is going dump beer on you. And most likely it's not a 92 year old former member of the Luftwaffe.

I'll admit I have enemies. To that I must add I do not know how many, where they live or if they have recently died. I will agree that the entry, "---(the last sentence is gone) ???

Sorry guys. The last sentence that I was going to post either was deleted or was just to large for the space provided.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
Sorry guys. The last sentence that I was going to post either was deleted or was just to large for the space provided.
Dang, and I'll bet that was the sentence that would have made the rest of the post make sense.
Better luck next time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts