Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this today and it's one of those magic things that makes you go hmm.

This works for mason jars, beer bottles, wine bottles etc.

You simply take common string like sewing thread, dip it in nail polish remover (or acetone I think that's what it is mainly) wrap it wet around the section of the bottle you want cut a few revolutions. Light it on fire and let burn for a bit. Then you dip it in cold water and it should go PINK! and break cleanly. Why do this?

• replace broken oil lantern hoods with beer/wine bottles
  • replace broken light fixtures or make new hanging ones
  • makes a good funnel
  • good for stuffing sausage on the fly
  • cookie cutter / biscuit cutter
  • can be blown like a bugle or horn, has a crazy glassy sound
  • makes for easy silencers
  • fits over the end of a flashlight to make a flagman's signal light
  • after SHTF, your theatrical roadside bar and inn will need candle covers for the tables.
  • capped off at the mouth with a foot, they make good drinking glasses (think hillbilly champagne flutes)
  • with a grate attached to the cut bottom, they make a great place to hang and dry things like peppers or juniper berries
  • makes a good looking lamp
  • the right size bottles can be smoothed at the cut side and used as replacements for milking couplers
  • with a pan at the mouth end, they make good livestock feeders for chickens, rabbits etc
  • make good oil droppers for flywheels, sharpening wheels, axles on waterwheels etc

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Leon, that is very interesting! Could you post some pictures? -Mike

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nail polish remover is acetone. Be careful. It is quickly absorbed into pores. Vapors are very flammable. When I was a kid we used alcohol. It did not work as good because of the water. The flame was hard to see so we got burned but had to hide it. We were not supposed to play with fire.

Then there was the time we emptied the medicin cabinets; mixed everything together and all the skin pealed off my figures. I could not hide that.

Oddly enough there are many other products that are less harmful that are ban. I am not suggesting this should be ban but pointing out consumer protection is arbitrary.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Here you go.

God Bless YouTube.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you want to improve the cut you can make a jig to roll the bottle and scratch your cut line before you do the thread burn trick. It makes the cut very clean and then you can use emery cloth or sand paper to smooth the cut.
As a side note don't try this with soft glass (the kind used for blowing) because it doesn't work. It also doesn't work well with annealed glass (like Pyrex).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts