Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by admitting I am a ham operator and teach the class for Techician class licensing (beginners class). I have 4 of the inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R handi-talkies.
So here's my questions:
1. How many do you own?
2. What kind of range do you expect to reach out with your Baofeng.
3. Do you have any accessories: better antenna, extra batteries, speaker/microphone?
4. What made you decide to purchase it/them?
5. Are you a licensed ham?
6. Do you understand the radio to get get the best service out of it?
7. Is/are your radio/s for use only within your family group?
8. Have you formulated a plan to prevent others from using directional finding to locate you?

Besides teaching ham to non-preppers, I'm trying to enhance my class, aimed at preppers. I'm trying gain insight into the prepper mindset, conserning the these little radios. I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
White Product Telephony Communication Device Gadget

·
Registered
329 Posts
1. 4
2. 2-3 mi
3. Nagoya 771 and several,”foldable” antennas
4. They were cheap
5. No, and when I need these, I won’t be as concerned with the FCC (for for our brief neighborhood chatter)
6. Yes, I think, but am always happy to learn more
7. No. MAG comms (each Mag members has 2-4 identically programmed radios).
8. Yes.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,107 Posts
1. Six (1 UV-5R "master", 5 BF-888S "programmed slaves")
2. Local, 1-2 miles
3. Earphone/mic cord for each
4. Cost
5. No
6. I can use its basic functions as a glorified walkie talkie and hit local repeaters, I know it can do more.
7. Family and local neighborhood friends
8. No, important information will not be discussed over open airways, expectedly drawing little to no attention from others.

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For #8, I'm not interested in your plan, just wanting to know if you have one. (yes or no)
Thanks

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
For #8, I not interested in your plan, just wanting to know if you have one. (yes or no)
Thanks
Others might be.

My plan has been to create multiple CHIRP files that would allow users to channel-hop when needed. Reprogram all radios with another file using different frequencies if opsec is iffy. If the MAG thinks we're being listened to, we channel-hop and reprogram more often.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,107 Posts
For #8, I'm not interested in your plan, just wanting to know if you have one. (yes or no)
Thanks
You misunderstood my reply. It was not a response to an assumption that you were seeking to know my plan.
My answer to #8 is "No", and my reasoning for not having a plan is "important information will not be discussed over open airways, expectedly drawing little to no attention from others ".
I won't be communicating over the radio any important information, or anything that could be considered "bait", that would draw the attention of others to make it worth their while to find me.

Reactions: Robie

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
"The prince wears blue shoes. The prince wears blue shoes.
Over.

lol

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the clarification

·
Super Moderator
9,732 Posts
1. 3
2. Close in very local.
3. Extra batteries. I don't have much there because these are cheap throw away radios and are easily broken.
4. Mostly because of the programming allowed on these before the feds shut that part down. They will make decent short term comms more mobile. I say short term because of the horror stories I've heard from a number of hams on how quickly they break. (Can ya tell I'm not a fan?)
5. Yes
6. Pretty much. But I can say I'm decent using all my radios, not just the chinese stuff. The gear I count on has stood the test of time and is a whole lot better quality.
7. Pretty much.
8. More or less. Mostly I'll be monitoring. Depending on who's trying to find you it could be a couple of hours down to a couple of minutes. This gear is getting more and more sophisticated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1) 5
2) 3 miles
3) extra batteries & longer antennas
4) I follow Survivalist Boards and they were recommended
5) No
6) No
7) Yes and maybe two neighbors (1/8 mile each way)
8) No. I have nothing of importance to say. Out here in the country, anyone driving down the road will see our house. We can't hide and we are not leaving. This will be the farm I die on.

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for sharing your information and thoughts. I can always use a few more people to respond, if you have the mind to. Again thanks!

·
Registered
607 Posts
2. 2-3 miles
3. Nope
4 Cost, BTW They are what got me interested in Ham Radio.
5. Yep Amateur Extra
6. Yes
7. Basically Yes. I didn't buy them for strangers.
8. No, if it get to that point - we are screwed.

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm looking for all sorts of reasons why preppers have decided on the Baofengs, etc.
Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. How many do you own? 6
2. What kind of range do you expect to reach out with your Baofeng. Short or repeater.
3. Do you have any accessories: better antenna, extra batteries, speaker/microphone? Batteries and antenna.
4. What made you decide to purchase it/them? Cheap to put one in cars, office, etc ..
5. Are you a licensed ham? Yes. Tech.
6. Do you understand the radio to get get the best service out of it? Yes.
7. Is/are your radio/s for use only within your family group? Yes.
8. Have you formulated a plan to prevent others from using directional finding to locate you? No.

Basically, I programmed them all the same and put one everywhere I could need one. All family members have one in car with instructions.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
1. 5, going to sell 2
2.Simplex about 2 miles
3. Better antennas and speaker mics
4. programed over 100 for work, repaired them
5. General class amateur, GROL
6. 41 years experience in RF component lever repair
7 No
8. No