Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great for silent hunting or needing to come upon a group of raiders stalking your place. Only problem is the clicking noise when cocking it back. Be sure to get the whisper silence threads to put on your strings. You can use torn fabric or rubber bands for the same effect. Cheap, but good bows will run you about low $300 range. Worth its weight in gold if shtf.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Very good point! Also have to make sure they are legal in your area while there is Law...

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You can also make a great crossbow using vehicle leaf springs and a hardwood stock. Trigger mechanisms are easy and you can match the pull to your needs and abilities.

Reactions: RebellionOfThought

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
150 lb Draw Camo Hunt Large Game Hunting Crossbow Rifle Grip Pro Archery Bows | eBay

I sell parts for this model crossbow on eBay, limbs strings bolts etc.

For $80-100 they are amazingly accurate at 50 yards, like pie plate size groups. The trigger mechanism is a hard pull but with some practice you can get 80 yards with reasonable accuracy. They make less noise than my air rifle and shoot 14" bolts a bit over 200fps.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Eventually you will lose/break your volts. Can you make them to fly true and handle the pressures of the bow? If not, a crossbow is of limited use.

Reactions: RebellionOfThought

·
Registered
119 Posts
Eventually you will lose/break your volts. Can you make them to fly true and handle the pressures of the bow? If not, a crossbow is of limited use.
I'm sure you could build them from 3/8 dowells easily, or hand plane split planks, or even gather shoots such as willow,arrowwood,cane, or practicaqlly any type wood. The shortness of the shafts does a lot in keeping them stiff enough spine for that weight. If in doubt, go thick.

·
Registered
119 Posts
150 lb Draw Camo Hunt Large Game Hunting Crossbow Rifle Grip Pro Archery Bows | eBay

I sell parts for this model crossbow on eBay, limbs strings bolts etc.

For $80-100 they are amazingly accurate at 50 yards, like pie plate size groups. The trigger mechanism is a hard pull but with some practice you can get 80 yards with reasonable accuracy. They make less noise than my air rifle and shoot 14" bolts a bit over 200fps.
Small world ! I bought one of you're crossbows just the other day, than come on here and find you're post ! I have allways hunted with longbows and recurves, but recntly injured my shoulder, so I purchased you're crossbow to cover me this fall, just in case.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've been thinking of investing in a crossbow or compound bow (or both!) for some time now. I never did get into hunting, but my younger brother has, so I figure I may as well too. That would make this a practical prep. I may have to hold off for a bit until my financial standing improves, or find something second hand.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A recurve or compound bow is faster to renotch and loose another arrow compared to recocking and loading a bolt on a crossbow, but the crossbow shoots more like a rifle which makes it easier to hit with accurately than a bow for most people. You just need to get off the computer, off the couch, put down the bag of Cheetos and go practice with the bow more, but it's worth it I think.

For some fun,

Bowman 2 - Free Online Shooting Games from AddictingGames

·
Registered
938 Posts
The only drawbacks to crossbows I see so far in researching them are limited range, long reload time (no immediate followup shot capability - not good), and misguided hunting regulation restrictions. And for high FPS speeds they get expensive fast....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The only drawbacks to crossbows I see so far in researching them are limited range, long reload time (no immediate followup shot capability - not good), and misguided hunting regulation restrictions. And for high FPS speeds they get expensive fast....
I'd say there good for a shtf/collapse silent hunting option or for quiet kills where you've got time to reload, but that's about it. I'd would never want to count on one as a mainline weapon in this world of firearms, but there a way to gain some atleast if you don't have any firearms at the moment and only the crossbow. Spot your target, observe, stalk in, wait for the right moment and put a bolt into their neck or head and finish them off with a knife or club afterwards.

I'm starting to think I may have a brutal thought pattern.

Oh well. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Small world ! I bought one of you're crossbows just the other day, than come on here and find you're post ! I have allways hunted with longbows and recurves, but recntly injured my shoulder, so I purchased you're crossbow to cover me this fall, just in case.
That is not my sale, I only posted that as an example but I am sure you will like it, I only sell the parts.

I don't think the gist of this thread is " look crossbows are better than guns!", but rather do they have a prepper use.

My points would be:
1. I haven't shot my crossbow in a year but I can guarantee I can outshoot any compound bow shooter on this forum at 50 yards right now regardless of your ability. They are that easy to master...very little practice required if you know how to shoot a rifle.
2. The reload speed will be faster than any bow shooter that uses a release, I would have to time it but I am sure I could put 2 bolts on target in 10-12 seconds. Bow shooters that use fingers would probably beat me on reloads but doubtful on accuracy.
3. The ability to have infinite draw is a huge advantage over a bow.

For $200 a person can have a weapons platform that opens up a whole realm of hunting and defense options that firearms do not have. Think out of the prepper box a bit. How about putting a night vision scope on it, it could be a gen 1 cheapo since you only need to shoot 50-80 yards.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am still on the fence on on getting a cross bow, I currently have a pretty nice compound. I am not looking or expecting to fight of hoards of the undead or anything like that. And if it gets to the point where if I have to hunt to keep the family fed I don't really thing there is going to be a worry about local and state laws with hunting requirments. right now I just shoot for recreational entertainment. a crossbow would be fun for sure to shoot and will defently be handy for the person that does not get to practice alot. It has it's place for those that would find it useful.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
We have a problem in Montana when we hunt in grizzley bear country. You see the bears have learned to move to the gunshots as it normally means a easy meal on the gut pile or animal, even on the hunter himself. When the SHTF, I will not shoot my rifle unless I have to, it is the equivalent of saying... Yoohoo I'm over here!!

1 threat walking up my road gets a gut shot with a 14" crossbow bolt, I'll save my ammo for the real thing.

Oh yea a gut shot just like a stray dog so they go somewhere else to die.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A crossbow is a good weapon as long as you can reload fast or hide well. The range is limited compared with a rifle but it is just as lethal within its range. It is easy to aim and easy to fire the first time so anyone can use it - once. You need a lot of "pull" and maybe even compound tech to get the most out of it. I am thinking of building another crossbow in the near future - I have two sets of leaf springs of a late sixties car that I should be able to make a decent bow out of. I am working on cams and cocking mechanisms to make it more "utilitarian" than the normal bow and I am thinking of 20 - 24 inch bolts. That should add some range to it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm thinking of a crossbow bolts more expensive than bullets but reusable. Hay bale makes a good backstop and noise won't bother the neighbors or violate firing in congested area ordinances. No gas to drive to range or shooting area.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts