Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm also in the "get .22" camp. I would also add a 9 mm pistol. That caliber will be the most common available, other than .22, in a SHTF situation.
Please understand that I am not trying to pick on you here,

The shit has only mildly splattered the fan, and their is no 9mm or .22LR any where, for the last nine months.

Every one on this site needs to consider the lesson that has been such a current event for all to see.

When the SHTF Their will be very little "readily available" ammunition other than what you yourself are in possession of.

· Registered
6,605 Posts
Once again. NEW Remington SPS Tactical 308 $625-$650 unless you shop at Gander Mountain then $750.

New Nikon Buckmaster 3-9-50 $300-$325.

Ruger 10/22 base model new or a really nice used bull barrel should be easy to find in the $300 or less range.

Sorry blew the budget by $25.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@ Pir8fan:

It may not have been clear, but I actually do have a drop-in barrel for my Glock 23, chambered in .40, through which I can shoot 9mm. I've stockpiled a load of .40 and 250-300 rounds of 9mm as well.

Okay, so .22 LR first! A rifle definitely, a pistol maybe! It sounds like each one can be had for under $500. Then, if my expenses are correct and I spend around $800 procuring 2 .22LR guns, I can focus on the big-ol rifle.

Thank you all for the help! Keep the weapon ideas coming!

· Registered
2,588 Posts
The 308 is a fine round, but, ammo is al but non existant , at least in stores around here. YMMV
30-06 is in every store along with 270 and sometimes 300 mag.

Ordering on line may find more availability

Food for thought

· Registered
966 Posts
Sounds like some good advice here. I would look at a Ruger 10/22. I have a philosophy to use what "they" are using "they" being the gobermint. A Remington bolt action in .308/7.62 NATO would be my choice. You can drob a .357 Sig barrel in your Glock 23 giving you another caliber if you choose.

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
As far as ammo availability.... it's out there, but not as cheap as it used to be. Check gunbot.net for up to the minute listings of who has what.

The fact that the more popular calibers are harder to find now just means that there is more of it on the streets. People and agencies are hoarding it, so millions and millions of rounds will be already out there if the need arises. In a SHTF situation, follow the sound of gunfire and pick up all you need off the losers. :)

A better plan is to stock up what you can when you can. I've managed to stock up during the worst of the shortages, you can too.

For example, gunbot is showing that US Armorment has PMC .308 Winchester 147gr FMJ-BT for 68 cents per round (500 round case for $340)
Palmetto State Armory has Federal American Eagle .223 Rem 55gr FMJ for 45 cents each
Killough has Eley Target .22lr at 11 cents a round

The point is... it's out there if you look.

· Registered
4,692 Posts
As far as ammo availability.... it's out there, but not as cheap as it used to be. Check gunbot.net for up to the minute listings of who has what.

The fact that the more popular calibers are harder to find now just means that there is more of it on the streets. People and agencies are hoarding it, so millions and millions of rounds will be already out there if the need arises. In a SHTF situation, follow the sound of gunfire and pick up all you need off the losers. :)

A better plan is to stock up what you can when you can. I've managed to stock up during the worst of the shortages, you can too.

For example, gunbot is showing that US Armorment has PMC .308 Winchester 147gr FMJ-BT for 68 cents per round (500 round case for $340)
Palmetto State Armory has Federal American Eagle .223 Rem 55gr FMJ for 45 cents each
Killough has Eley Target .22lr at 11 cents a round

The point is... it's out there if you look.
Yes sir, There is ammo out there, I use gunbot and ammoseek. and I have the best luck late at night or early am.
I would also like to mention that no matter what you have, practice, practice, then practice some more. Seems you do shoot alot, from your posts...
The next "practice session" I have planned for my fiance, daughter and myself will run throu a sandy wash, and we will do some kneeling, crawling, and back to the ground shooting..
Your arsenal rating from me? Better than mine, keep up the posts and questions...

· Registered
192 Posts
The 22 thing has been beat to death but I agree a rifle (10-22) and a pistol. The one thing I see that you are lacking is mags. This is thing that causes the most malfunctions on an auto loader. I would get a minimum of 15 mags for the rifle and 10 for the pistol. In a fight you may lose some and they break. Most crack at the ears, and cause failure to feed. Buying fifteen now should allow you to have usable mags for life, by trading parts on those that fail.

· Registered
168 Posts
Got some nice guns:) need to add some blades to that arsenal!:) pics are a little old. Mine has grown since then!:)
If finding ammo is an issue check Freedom Munitions. They always have stock of any caliber I've needed and their storefront location is 30 minutes from my house. They do online sales as well!:)

Attachments

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Would someone be so kind as to tell me what possible use anyone would have for a .22 pistol?

The only use I can see is to give them as gifts to your French friends, who don't intend to fight anyway. :)

· Registered
2,314 Posts
Thanks a lot so far!

It sounds like I need to get a .22 LR! I think I can afford to invest in that!

Here's a follow up question:

Lets say my budget is $1250. What is the best setup for my money for a long-range rifle that will be the best bet in a SHTF situation?

PS: not sure who mentioned it, but I already am a hoarder of spare parts...although I need to learn how to use them a bit more efficiently.
remington 700 SPS 308 free floated bull barrel will be on that price range. good gun out of the box, shoots well and it is accurate

· Registered
2,314 Posts
Would someone be so kind as to tell me what possible use anyone would have for a .22 pistol?

The only use I can see is to give them as gifts to your French friends, who don't intend to fight anyway. :)
if the .22 is a ruger mk2, you can get that integrally suppressed. you will then have an accurate and quiet handgun you could use for lots of SHTF scenarios

· Registered
1,005 Posts
Another vote for a good 22LR combo.. rifle & handgun.

I opted for a Smith 15-22 as it's manual of arms is the same as my AR's. Very accurate and reliable, but a bit more costly than a 10/22.

With subsonic ammo, the loudest part of this rifle is the bolt cycling.

I'm seriously considering one of these...

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
THere's a follow up question:

Lets say my budget is $1250. What is the best setup for my money for a long-range rifle that will be the best bet in a SHTF situation?
My 2 cents:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 win - 26" heavy barrel ($650)
Choate Light Tactical stock ($210)
Champion Bipod ($ 30)
SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope ($300)
Rings & Base ($ 70)
total $1260

You could get a rem 700 SPS tactical and not have to restock it, but I'm not a big fan of the Hogue overmolded stock. The SPS Tac also has a 20" barrel while the SPS Varmint has a 26" barrel which translates to higher muzzle velocity and more energy at longer ranges.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Mine as shown has a Falcon Menace 5.5-25 X 50mm Tactical Scope, which runs about $450. Most military and police snipers use fixed 10x scopes, but with my old eyes, I need all the help I can get. Another nice thing about the variable is I can crank it up to 25x and use it to ID targets, spy on my neighbors, or whatever.

· Registered
989 Posts
Please understand that I am not trying to pick on you here,

The shit has only mildly splattered the fan, and their is no 9mm or .22LR any where, for the last nine months.

Every one on this site needs to consider the lesson that has been such a current event for all to see.

When the SHTF Their will be very little "readily available" ammunition other than what you yourself are in possession of.
Other than Jan and Feb, I've had no problem getting 9 mm ammo. Yes, it's been expensive, but ther is a ton of it out there in closets and gun vaults.

· Banned
2,112 Posts
Another vote for a good 22LR combo.. rifle & handgun.

I opted for a Smith 15-22 as it's manual of arms is the same as my AR's. Very accurate and reliable, but a bit more costly than a 10/22.

With subsonic ammo, the loudest part of this rifle is the bolt cycling.

I'm seriously considering one of these...
I have wanted one of these since they came out. I love them.

And Prepadoodle, a semi-auto .22 pistol? Quick double tap to the head at close quarters. No recoil, complete control-ability and you can't beat the fact it is way quieter than a centerfire round. Like Whoppo said, the right ammo, even a suppressor, the loudest noise is the bolt cycling.

· Registered
39 Posts
OR,
you could simply get .22 LR conversion kits for your AR 15 and your Glock23.

I personally have a couple of Ruger 10/22 rifles in stainless, the take down and the HAMMER FORGED heavy barrel. But for CHEAP PRACTICE with your primary defensive weapons, the .22 LR conversion kits will give you decent accuracy with a near perfect "FEEL".

One of the very best AR 15 shooters I uses a .22 LR conversion kit for most of his fast/close/CQB practice.
PLUS, he has a young son .... so the .22 LR conversion works out well for both of them.
LAZ 1

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.