Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm Max and from Missouri where gun culture is alive and strong!

I'm working on finishing my arsenal soon as I start work on some food gathering and alternative energy sources (or a gennie.) but first I need advice on my favorite topic: guns!

So far I have:

Glock 23:

This is my EDC and primary sidearm, I'd say. It's in .40 S&W but I have a barrel kit so it can fire 9mm as well. I have it loaded with Remington Golden Saber or Hornady Critical Defense rounds and I have 4 13-round magazines. I'd say I have between 850-950 rounds of .40 stored for it, mostly a split between the two ammo types above with 100 rounds of good ol' FMJ. I've put somewhere near 2200 rounds through this thing and have never had a jam. I love this pistol! My 9mm stockpile is 250 or so rounds, mostly Speer Gold Dot.

Ruger GP-100:

Six-shot .357 Magnum, 3" barrel and blued steel. I've put around 500 rounds through it (it's new) and it's my primary defensive handgun if for some reason I don't have my Glock. (I live alone in a house with very thick walls, so over-penetration isn't as big of a problem for me.) Hornady Critical Defense rounds and a bit of FMJ, maybe 500 rounds total. This thing will knock somebody down, I imagine. I've also got 3 speed loaders.

Primary rifle:

Mossberg AR-15. I have a holographic sight with backup "flip-down" iron sights, a better trigger job and five 30-round magazines. The free-floating barrel makes this gun incredibly accurate. I've probably shot 1000 rounds with it with few issues and I would say I have between 1950-2050 rounds for it in my garage. (Packed up and ready to GTFO.)

Shotgun:

Mossberg 500, black, 3" barrel, adjustable stock, pistol grip, pump-action with an 8 round capacity and a 19" barrel. I have it loaded with Hornady TAP 12 gauge, first #4 then four 00 buck and three slugs. I honestly have shot this gun in a financially irresponsible manner, maybe 1100 shells. I think I have around 250 spare shells of various types.

So what do you all think? What should I add or change? Should I stockpile more ammo of one or more types? Are these guns practical and effect for a SHTF scenario in which I'd have to defend my home? (I have the resources and location for fortify it pretty heavily and I live next to a fair-sized forest, so it's sort of isolated.)

Thanks!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot so far!

It sounds like I need to get a .22 LR! I think I can afford to invest in that!

Here's a follow up question:

Lets say my budget is $1250. What is the best setup for my money for a long-range rifle that will be the best bet in a SHTF situation?

PS: not sure who mentioned it, but I already am a hoarder of spare parts...although I need to learn how to use them a bit more efficiently.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha, hopefully I don't need a magnum revolver bigger than my .357. That'd be a tough SOB. But you never know...

I'm going to look at a number of things, probably a .308 and a .300 WM.

And @Paltik:

I thought my AR-15 was a main battle rifle until about a few weeks ago when I really started to get interested in the prepping business. I was thinking of an M1A, just because my grandfather passed on an M1 to my father (who unfortunately had to sell it recently) and it was TOUGH. Made me appreciate the Springfield line of rifles a lot more. At this point, after my long-range and .22 slots are left, I'm probably going to get a tough-ass AK. My girlfriend's dad gave her mom one this past Christmas and WOW is it a fine weapon. It's Romanian and he got it for under $600...I'll have to find out more about that.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@ Pir8fan:

It may not have been clear, but I actually do have a drop-in barrel for my Glock 23, chambered in .40, through which I can shoot 9mm. I've stockpiled a load of .40 and 250-300 rounds of 9mm as well.

Okay, so .22 LR first! A rifle definitely, a pistol maybe! It sounds like each one can be had for under $500. Then, if my expenses are correct and I spend around $800 procuring 2 .22LR guns, I can focus on the big-ol rifle.

Thank you all for the help! Keep the weapon ideas coming!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.