Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Add me to the "you need a .22" camp. While yer at it, also add me to the, "you should also have a long range/hunting rifle" group.

As much as you seem to shoot, some spare parts might be worth having too. Springs, firing pins, and whatever else might break on you would be good to keep on hand.

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
As far as ammo availability.... it's out there, but not as cheap as it used to be. Check gunbot.net for up to the minute listings of who has what.

The fact that the more popular calibers are harder to find now just means that there is more of it on the streets. People and agencies are hoarding it, so millions and millions of rounds will be already out there if the need arises. In a SHTF situation, follow the sound of gunfire and pick up all you need off the losers. :)

A better plan is to stock up what you can when you can. I've managed to stock up during the worst of the shortages, you can too.

For example, gunbot is showing that US Armorment has PMC .308 Winchester 147gr FMJ-BT for 68 cents per round (500 round case for $340)
Palmetto State Armory has Federal American Eagle .223 Rem 55gr FMJ for 45 cents each
Killough has Eley Target .22lr at 11 cents a round

The point is... it's out there if you look.

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Would someone be so kind as to tell me what possible use anyone would have for a .22 pistol?

The only use I can see is to give them as gifts to your French friends, who don't intend to fight anyway. :)

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
THere's a follow up question:

Lets say my budget is $1250. What is the best setup for my money for a long-range rifle that will be the best bet in a SHTF situation?
My 2 cents:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 win - 26" heavy barrel ($650)
Choate Light Tactical stock ($210)
Champion Bipod ($ 30)
SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope ($300)
Rings & Base ($ 70)
total $1260

You could get a rem 700 SPS tactical and not have to restock it, but I'm not a big fan of the Hogue overmolded stock. The SPS Tac also has a 20" barrel while the SPS Varmint has a 26" barrel which translates to higher muzzle velocity and more energy at longer ranges.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Mine as shown has a Falcon Menace 5.5-25 X 50mm Tactical Scope, which runs about $450. Most military and police snipers use fixed 10x scopes, but with my old eyes, I need all the help I can get. Another nice thing about the variable is I can crank it up to 25x and use it to ID targets, spy on my neighbors, or whatever.

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
OK, there are a few uses for a .22 handgun. Say, for example you are training someone who has never handled a firearm before, especially if they are a smaller than average female child.

They can be fun to shoot if you don't mind your targets snickering at you.

I don't buy this "good for really close range headshots" argument. What, am I supposed to carry a big sack 'o guns and pull out the .22 if someone is within 5 feet of me? How about I just carry my .45 and use it anytime a handgun is needed?

Yes, a .22 is quieter, especially if suppressed. I think some of you watch too many movies. If I am in a situation where I need a handgun, I don't care how loud it is. In fact, the louder, the better. I want people diving for cover and keeping their heads down so I can get the hell out of there. I mean, really, some of you are going to be carrying a suppressed .22 as your primary backup weapon? Egad.

· Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Sorry, but I don't need the element of stealth and surprise, I'm not an assassin. I've never seen anyone in the military or police that has "had one handy." I don't agree that they are "useful little guns," but I do agree with the "little" part. To me, not having one handy is "doing it right."

Look, if you want one, by all means get one. My point is that it should be WAY down on your priority list. IMO, you might as well waste your money on a good blowgun or one of those nifty razor-brimmed hats Odd Job used in the Bond films. Now those are cool!

Anywho, I'm a gonna shut up about .22 handguns now. I think you all know how I feel. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.