Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,373 Posts
My belief is you only could add 3 things in my opine:

1) a bolt 300 WM with glass on the low end can be $700-1000 but you could spend a lot more. This would help you at a much greater distance and with stopping power which both can be important.

2) a 22 LR package including a pistol and rifle. I believe in the 10-22 but you might prefer a tube fed to avoid the magazines. For a hand gun you could go revolver to avoid magazines but if you prefer not I recommend a Rock Island Armory 1911 45 with a 22 conv kit from Kimber. With mags and ammo that can run $1k but you add a caliber.

· Registered
4,373 Posts
I prefer the 300 Winchester Mag for long range. Someone noted a .308 and those are fine too but I like what a 300 WM does to an engine block more than the .308. Honestly I invested in a 338 Lapua but don't recommend it to anyone. I found a used 300 WM hunting rifle and I modified a little for a bipod and put a nice scope on it - I can shoot it for so much less than the Lapua and the stopping power / range is very similar. More than enough for me. There are countless rifles and glass available for less than $1250 in the 300 WM category that will suit you. I'd say that the mainline Savage (not the axis stuff) but the 110/111 series does a fine job at the price. This way you can afford glass, bipod, ammo, and pick up a hand reloading kit for the 300 WM, a few hundred extra bullets, a pound of powder and bunch of primers and you'll be stocked for well under $1250.

While I like 10/22's I've grown fond of the older tub fed guns. They are around for $150/250 pretty easily and do a great job.

Thanks a lot so far!

It sounds like I need to get a .22 LR! I think I can afford to invest in that!

Here's a follow up question:

Lets say my budget is $1250. What is the best setup for my money for a long-range rifle that will be the best bet in a SHTF situation?

PS: not sure who mentioned it, but I already am a hoarder of spare parts...although I need to learn how to use them a bit more efficiently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.