Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I created soil for a raised vegetable bed from wood chips, ground pine tree prunings (which I composted), vermiculite, and peat moss. I sent a sample to the agricultural college of Penn State for analysis, and got a very good grade (needed a little nitrogen).

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I created soil for a raised vegetable bed from wood chips, ground pine tree prunings (which I composted), vermiculite, and peat moss. I sent a sample to the agricultural college of Penn State for analysis, and got a very good grade (needed a little nitrogen).
Pee in a bucket, add water to dilute

·
Registered
863 Posts
Living in Florida, we have a lot of pines. I don't compost them though, except for a small heap that is used for plants that like acidic soil. Azaleas do well, but Veggies don't generally like the acidity, and the only way to overcome it and reduce the acidity is with a lot of lime. I'm also very careful about wood chips from my woodshop. I make sure that if I'm working with walnut, that I don't mix the chips with other types of wood. I throw or burn all the walnut and make sure it doesn't end up in my compost pile. It will inhibit growth...the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do!

Reactions: sideKahr

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pee in a bucket, add water to dilute
Yep. Been using this method for years. I also tend to always pee in the hole before placing a new plant in it. Compost is good as long as you're doing it yourself and not buying it. I take all the hay from the chicken coop (with all the poop in it) and shovel it as mulch too. Plus mixing it in with compost pile. Wood chips and other organic matter that's in various stages of decomposition from different projects through the year. The compost and wood chips and other stuff like that gets more available and easier to figure out what you need after doing it for a few years.just be careful what you use, because not all wood chips and plant scraps are good for all things. Some help you grow stuff, some help you keep things from growing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts