Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went a few years ago and used my 30-30

I have been debating getting a 243 or a 270... but I was watching (youtube) some guys out hunting using a .22 LR

I have a 22lr (Ruger 10/22) and it is legal here in PA to hunt to hunt them with a 22lr.. it is even legal to use a semi auto. it would save money on ammo for sure

Open to opinions here

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I would get one of those large pictures of an animal which shows all of the organs, veins and muscles. The first thing I learned was that most often the heart rested in the low spot of a four footed animal. Then back up to the distance you will use in the field. If you can walk off the necessary distance and plant a single round into your picture--and not let your fingers shake--you might be bringing some tasty meat to your mother.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-you might be bringing some tasty meat to your mother.
I can guarantee you nobody in my house is eating coyote .. our backs would have to really be to the wall for that to happen

Coyote are a pest a nuisance animal here in pa.. you can hunt them 24 hours a day 7 days a week anytime of the day or night in any weather

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,017 Posts

I have been debating getting a 243 or a 270... but I was watching (youtube) some guys out hunting using a .22 LR

I have a 22lr (Ruger 10/22) and it is legal here in PA to hunt to hunt them with a 22lr.. it is even legal to use a semi auto. it would save money on ammo for sure

Open to opinions here
It won't be a quick kill, and you'll likely need to track the animal to collect. (in our county, a pair of coyote ears can net you some cash from the local municipality)
Shot placement would be critical with such a low energy round.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
It won't be a quick kill, and you'll likely need to track the animal to collect. (in our county, a pair of coyote ears can net you some cash from the local municipality)
Shot placement would be critical with such a low energy round.
Dittos wouldn't make it a habit to hunt em with that round. Probably wound more than dies. A decade or two ago good Coyote pelts skinned out properly could bring forty bucks easy. Old private game warden pal on a huge ranch..paid for Christmas with his Sako .222 with a tack driving scope on it. None ever got away from him. He could skin a coyote out good enough to take direct to the fur buyer guy in a minute and a half.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Smacking a Coyote inside 50 yards is definitely an option. Beyond that your likely to find it seriously lacking. You might get a few at first but like Texas, the coyotes will get "educated" real quick, and wont likely be so easily duped into coming in close enough to make the 22LR a viable option very often. There are a lot of options out there that are much better. The Ruger 204, 223/5.56, 22-250 are some of the more popular calibers here where shots could be from 50 yards to 400 yards. Of course there is nothing that says you cant use that 30-30 too! More than a few have fell to a 7mm Rem Mag here which is major over kill in every sense of the word. But if your not collecting the pelt who cares, right? But as previously mention you can sometimes get a bounty for that Pelt or the Ears. If its about economy, then stick with the 30-30 as it will definitely get the job done. The down side is pre-pandemic ammo was about 14 bucks a box of 20 for the 30-30 where as a 20 round box of Tulammo in 223 55gr FMJ was a whole 4.97. If the pelt is important to you then the cost of suitable ammo aint much different between the two. 223/5.56 is a lot more widely available right now although at about .55 cents a shot, I occasionally see 30-30 available right now but its very hit an miss and very expensive, that may change in the near future but I wouldnt bet on it too much price wise anytime soon. I say it depends on how many you plan to shoot to keep the population in check. Here where I am, getting about 6-12 coyotes a night aint much of a challenge, so here in Texas we often have dedicated guns for it whether it be a very accurate 22 centerfire or use a AR we already have. I typically use a 20 inch AR with a 1-9 twist that throws 69gr SMK's like it aint nothing but a thing if shots are consistently inside 300 yards. I built it for about 500 fun dollars and got a really sweet project DMR gun out of the deal minus Glass. When I start have to take shots beyond 300 yards I use a custom built Rem 700 with a 28 inch barrel in 224 TTH with 75-80gr bullets in excess of 3500 fps which is a laser beam out to about 400 yards.

Again if its strictly about economy stick with the 30-30 if your not over run with them. If the population is pretty healthy, might want to consider something like a Mossberg Patriot in 223/5.56 or something simular.

·
Administrator
15,445 Posts
Using 22LR, and 22WMR on coyotes is totally unethical in my own opinion.
Not a quick death at all.
Don’t trust everything you see on YouTube.

Reactions: Kauboy and KUSA

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Dang sound like you got a lot of yotes in your area. What towns is you near is you dont mind a person being nosey? lol. We calling them up maybe? thanks.
Just north of Dallas Texas about half way to Oklahoma. They are pretty prolific here. in the more urban areas I sometimes take a couple with a Compound Bow. But out in the rural areas they are a dime a dozen. We have a lot of Coyote vs Cars here too.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Open to opinions here
Don't injure an animal with a weak round. Especially a canid, nuisance or not. Use enough for a humane quick kill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts