Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
“Could you help me with a short term prepping plan, no one in my family seems to care.”

You are in good company, I think we all battle the family and friends who think we are nutcases. Regardless of your plan forward press on and don’t let them phase you. Even when you are alone as I have found myself in this journey don’t stop, do what you know is right and take solace in your decision to take care of your family.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Edit.

I do not feel safe.

I cant sleep.
It's hard to do everything in an instant - it takes time to build up - so, don't fret about it.

I started with a two-weeks supply (with the scenario that there would be no power/electricity).
I don't know how your allotted budget for prepping is like, but start with the very basics:
bottled water, ready-to-eat non-perishable food (does not have to be cooked), prescription medicines you or a family member needs,
toilet paper, flu/colds medicines, candles and matches.

Be aware of the nutritional value of your foods. Check the expiration date! Here are the foods I started with:

Pea Soups
2 large Peanut Butter
Extra loaves of bread in the freezer (make sure you use them and replenish them so you'll always have a fresh stock)
Soda crackers
Oatmeal (you can soak them overnight to be eaten without cooking)

From there, you can build up by adding foods that require minimal cooking, like:

Minute noodles, cup-o-noodles (I stock up on Nissin Ramen - it has lots of protein)
Pasta sauces
Kraft dinners
more bottled water
More peanut butter/crackers/jam
more canned soups
Condiments
Vitamin supplements, more variety of medicines

....and then, start building up what other things you'll need for long-term (including those that are not food items).

Don't forget, if SHTF - the first things you'll eat are what's in your fridge (those that will spoil)! Then, the ones in your freezer.
You also fill up containers with more water (if it's still available), including your bathtub.
So.....two-weeks supply is really easy to achieve if you count on what's in your fridge/freezer.

You use your stockpile only when you have to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like others have said prepping is a process. It is just about impossible to do quickly, (unless you have lots of money) especially when others have started to panic-- in my area some items are already impossible to buy. I would start with basic groceries that have a good shelf life. Since some items are already gone you may have to go with more expensive items that do not have a long shelf life such as protien bars, meal bars ect.. We have a store in our area that always does BOGO-- so I am always buying stuff I do not need right away just so I can get the good price (peanut butter, soup, canned veggies).

Buy some water if you can find it but more importantly find a way to collect and filter water. We have rain barrels that collect year round and we have personal filters to use should we need to drink the collected water. We use the collected water for the garden instead of running the hose. You may be able to find a water BOB "bathtub water collection 100 gallon container" that can be filled if you feel like your city water water will be disrupted.

When this crisis is over continue to collect and plan so that next time you are not running with the masses.

If you and your girlfriend stay together, make sure she understands why this is important to you. When my husband first started I thought he was a bit nutty, now I see the importance. He takes care of guns, ammo, tools, and creative solutions and I take care of the food items. We work as a team and are training our daughter to also live the prepared life style.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife has been complaining to her Boss at work about my prepping for what may come shortly .... being shut in if this virus spreads locally. The wife says it is just the flu and doesn't really care. She didn't even get her flu shot this year.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You've received a lot of good info on this thread alone. Lots more by searching a topic.

Think of prepping in terms of a time line. What do I need to survive for the next ten minutes? Ten hours? You get the idea.

One other item that has already been mentioned. If you can't defend it, you don't own it.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
My wife has been complaining to her Boss at work about my prepping for what may come shortly .... being shut in if this virus spreads locally. The wife says it is just the flu and doesn't really care. She didn't even get her flu shot this year.
Let me get this straight...

"Your wife has been complaining to her Boss about your preparations?" Evidently she didn't give two chits about the vows that she said at your wedding? Time to cut the bitch loose...

(Slippy's Marital Counseling...For Fun and For Free!) :vs_smile:

·
Super Moderator
3,128 Posts
Wow! She's telling people at her job that you have food and supplies stored up. Guess who's coming to your house when things get bad? I don't mean to offend........ but your wife is a dumb ass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great information indeed.

I have added a ton of water in a very short period of time i am confident the water will last a typical lock in but still have work to be done.

I am really nervous, i know it is inevitable for it to hit our state but people are taking very unnecessary actions by inviting family from Chicago to visit and Chicago has already started their outbreak.

I just do not understand, i believe this is due to incomplete transparency from state and fed gov being not completely honest.

Places should have had acted with more urgency and aggression when cases were first noted. Imo.

Well, more coffee for me. I am reading all of this information and taking note.

Thanks, have a Safe and Well Regulated Day!

-W.E.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Michigan State GOV has now issued State of Emergency after 2 cases have been confirmed.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavir...chigan-one-each-in-oakland-and-wayne-counties

Disregarding the State warning my GF is inviting 2 people from Chicago to come visit as well as attending a Birthday party for Children and one baby shower.

my gf has become a direct threat to me and I have no clue why she and her friends are just standing around looking at cats and making peace signs with Duckfaces.

Anyone else dealing with this threat?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Michigan State GOV has now issued State of Emergency after 2 cases have been confirmed.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavir...chigan-one-each-in-oakland-and-wayne-counties

Disregarding the State warning my GF is inviting 2 people from Chicago to come visit as well as attending a Birthday party for Children and one baby shower.

my gf has become a direct threat to me and I have no clue why she and her friends are just standing around looking at cats and making peace signs with Duckfaces.

Is your girl friend "The One?"

·
Registered
880 Posts

I have added a ton of water in a very short period of time i am confident the water will last a typical lock in but still have work to be done.

I am really nervous, i know it is inevitable for it to hit our state but people are taking very unnecessary actions by inviting family from Chicago to visit and Chicago has already started their outbreak.

I just do not understand, i believe this is due to incomplete transparency from state and fed gov being not completely honest.

Places should have had acted with more urgency and aggression when cases were first noted. Imo.

-W.E.
Hi again.

Regarding coronavirus, have some medicines as you would with the common flu/colds and coughs (check the expiration date - that way, even if you don't have to use them, they'll still be good for several years).
If you can, stock up on disinfectant spray and disinfectant wipes (for surfaces in common areas like washrooms).

Remove all toothbrushes and other personal hygiene items in your washroom (including towels). You don't want anyone sneezing on them while in there.

Our students each have their own basket of their own personal items - including their own toothpaste/mouthwash - which they keep in their rooms (only to be taken with them to the washroom when they groom or shower). We hang our towels in our rooms.
Our washroom shelves are empty except for supplies of toilet paper which are still in their packaging, and a can of disinfectant spray.
The sink holds a hand soap. We use toilet paper to wipe our hands - no hand towels in there.

Also plan how the procedures will be in case one of you gets it or show symptoms. We had a family meeting over this scenario.

If someone shows a symptom, they'll have to wear a mask every time they come out of their room, and anywhere while they are out of their room for any special reason (and the fan in the washroom has to be on).
He'll sanitize his hands with a hand sanitizer that's provided BEFORE he comes out of his room.
He won't be touching that fridge or go anywhere in the kitchen - one of us will be prepping his meals and he'll eat in his room.

They've already prepped for their junk food! :vs_laugh:

I suppose hubby and I will be hanging out in the basement (rec room) most of the time.

We're losing a student over his scheduled visit to what's becoming a hot spot, for March break to visit his girlfriend.
It's a tough decision after all, he's a nice kid.
He's paid for everything already (including hotel) - but, unfortunately, we have to change our decision because things are getting bad in that place.
He offered to self-isolate in a hotel after his March Break - but we can't take that risk.
We told him he can't come back to us.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Originally Posted by Wounded Eagle View Post

Problem is that the people I am with seem not to recognize the severity of the situation. Especially when the head of the CDC
comes out and warns people to start getting your crap together and to expect " Severe Disruptions ".

Instead my GF goes out to the grocery store for snacks
and buys Chinese food. She asks me " Are you really going to eat all of that?" suggestive towards my food supply.
This seems HIGHLY irresponsible to be acting this way when this is happening. This is not a stab at Chinese people for buying Chinese food but rather it is a possibility they have relatives.
As for your girlfriend, just let her know you're just prepping for a couple of weeks. The rest of your prepping, do it secretly.
Buy an extra or two every time you shop for something (when she's with you shopping).
If your prepping stands out when she's with you, she could likely mention it to others (by way of criticism, or as a joke).
Be discreet around her. Find a good place to hide the stockpile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Alright guys I know some of you know a little about whats going on and have offered some excellent advice.

Tomorrow morning my girlfriend plans on going with her two parents who both have underlying health issues " diabetes and respiratory etc"to a 7 year olds birthday party at an OLD FOLKS CENTER.

Then plans on turning around and going to a baby shower. I have no idea how this is going to be allowed

Im conflicted, i told her I may leave to go hunker down in another spot and she started crying telling me things like " i know you're already going to leave me" out of being scared and desperate.

Im not sure if its her parents telling her to disregard the attention this situation demands so she is not afraid

Or

The messages i seen her cousin send her saying " does he not know its less that the flu?"

I have tried explaining it clearly but damn she refuses to reason.

Thanks for all the great information guys i really do.

Have a SAFE and well regulated day.

W.E

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

-W.E.
Hi again.

Regarding coronavirus, have some medicines as you would with the common flu/colds and coughs (check the expiration date - that way, even if you don't have to use them, they'll still be good for several years).
If you can, stock up on disinfectant spray and disinfectant wipes (for surfaces in common areas like washrooms).

Remove all toothbrushes and other personal hygiene items in your washroom (including towels). You don't want anyone sneezing on them while in there.

Our students each have their own basket of their own personal items - including their own toothpaste/mouthwash - which they keep in their rooms (only to be taken with them to the washroom when they groom or shower). We hang our towels in our rooms.
Our washroom shelves are empty except for supplies of toilet paper which are still in their packaging, and a can of disinfectant spray.
The sink holds a hand soap. We use toilet paper to wipe our hands - no hand towels in there.

Also plan how the procedures will be in case one of you gets it or show symptoms. We had a family meeting over this scenario.

If someone shows a symptom, they'll have to wear a mask every time they come out of their room, and anywhere while they are out of their room for any special reason (and the fan in the washroom has to be on).
He'll sanitize his hands with a hand sanitizer that's provided BEFORE he comes out of his room.
He won't be touching that fridge or go anywhere in the kitchen - one of us will be prepping his meals and he'll eat in his room.

They've already prepped for their junk food!

I suppose hubby and I will be hanging out in the basement (rec room) most of the time.

We're losing a student over his scheduled visit to what's becoming a hot spot, for March break to visit his girlfriend.
It's a tough decision after all, he's a nice kid.
He's paid for everything already (including hotel) - but, unfortunately, we have to change our decision because things are getting bad in that place.
He offered to self-isolate in a hotel after his March Break - but we can't take that risk.
We told him he can't come back to us.
Yeah i have been stocking up on vitamins and have some medicines i didnt finish from my past like ibuprofen, motrin and such. I have been taking my once a day vitamin and mentally i feel better.

I wished at my place people would want to be on the same page as all of you but for some reason people around me are completely disregarding safety protocol.

Im sure its about money, but from what I read this virus is killing the economy.

"In the better-case scenario, the COVID-19 epidemic would reduce U.S. GDP by 2 percent or about $420 billion. In the worse-case scenario, GDP would drop by more than 8 percent, that is, $1.8 trillion dollars."

·
Registered
21,106 Posts

No.

Because I chose my girlfriend and then my wife wisely.

But first, one question if I may?

Does your girlfriend live in the same house as you?

·
Registered
11,945 Posts

I know why .... because she is an immature idiot.

Reactions: Slippy
21 - 38 of 38 Posts