Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
For the bag, with the cost of the bag and everything in it and attached to it, I'm guesstimating around somewhere close to $1000 but it's probably more. Since the bag is just one part of the rig though and goes with my M1A, 92FS and Active Shooter Bag setup it easily goes up to close to $4000 or more with loaded mags and ammo, etc. If you haven't noticed, living is expensive. Taking into account prices now with the current market I can't even imagine what it would cost to replace all of it right now. People looking to start prepping now are way behind the curve, but I'm sure there were people who talked to them about it a long time back and they just blew it off. You get what you choose in life.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am into mine around 350 not counting any food or Ammo and guns. but I am still working on building my Wifes and kids. I am about half way there with the Wifes and in for about 120 at the moment. The kids I am in maybe 30 bucks or so sofar. I am guessing with I am pretty much done for all 3 of us, it will be around the 600 to 700 dollar mark excluding food and Ammo or guns.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Mine was uber low cost. I'll have to add all that up but I am willing to bet money it was under 50 bucks. It's an old laptop bag (I don't have a full sized laptop anymore) which was probably the most expensive part. Everything else I found, bought or fashioned myself. I'm proud of it for what it is, I even managed to add a can of spam and added to the cooking set without putting much more weight on. It's light- even with my shattered legs I can put it on and walk around pretty easily. That's about as common man as they come, nothing frilly in it. Notably I seem to have put plenty of ways to start fire in there, at least 6. Some useful little odds and ends like the dual ring anchor and a real medical plaster cast in case someone breaks something. Some bent nails to use as tarp pegs and a good tarp, some gloves and socks, a hatchet, machete and long knife, a multi use UV sensor watch that is also a carabiner, some rope, some cordage, an extensive multifuel cook set (you could make three courses at a time on that puppy) a water filter straw, some filtration tablets, water bottle, shake flashlight, map compass, slingshot, diamond sharpener, sewing kit, some medical stuff and a few assorted other things. On my show it's about permaculture and re-purposing the stuff you find along the way, improvisation and innovation. I am confident with this pack I'll have the bare essentials and tools I need to do things my way.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have two, and I probably have $2000 invested in them.

GPS, binoculars, quality knives, multi-tools, mags, ammo, flashlights, headlamps, medicines, compasses, fishing gear, hatchets, entrenching tools, etc.

I am not counting firearms in that total.

Yes, I caught the "bug" in BOB, real bad!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Cost me 27 years and 1 discharge.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Question for those with a BOB, Do you all live in a city. I can not imagine a reason to bug out from my homestead, I am unsure other than a nuclear strike what would cause me to leave, no chance of flood, no Huricane, Tornado, 5%.

So do you all live in a major city???

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
BOB is something many of us keep with us. In my case it is a tool to get back to my BOL.
Mine is not to over loaded . Chances are I would never need it but just in case I get caught in Milwaukee when it goes down if I need to open a hole to get out I can.
If I could not find a route away from the city to get back I could make it on foot.
Others BOB may serve a long term purpose . Each persons will have different needs.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Without Fire Arms and Ammo I am sure my bag would run about 600 minimum fun dollars despite how frugal I was about putting it together. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a good couple hundred more than that though if I was to sit down and itemize everything in it down to the penny. The Bag, tent and sleeping bag ran about 400.00 dollars alone! Its gotta be somewheres just under a grand. Add the Guns and Ammo and I am sure that I am looking at about 6 grand or so and a lot more weight than I would like to be humping over hill and dale. I know I spent about a year and a half putting it together...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area of Virginia right now, from rural Kansas. What a shock! I've never lived in or around such a densely populated area. I'll be moving back that way in a couple years, until then a BOB is very important as bugging in isn't an option. So far I have $350 or so into mine, not including guns and ammo, spread out over the past year and a half or so. I have maybe $1400 in my guns as of now, and currently about $300 in various ammo. I'm in the market for a new rifle, and hope to be purchasing a handgun this summer (eagerly awaiting my 21st), so I'll (hopefully) be adding those soon!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Total price - $125. That includes some .22 ammo. I don't count my pistol and .22 rifle in my bag, as I would have the pistol on my hip and gun over my shoulder.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area of Virginia right now, from rural Kansas. What a shock! I've never lived in or around such a densely populated area. I'll be moving back that way in a couple years, until then a BOB is very important as bugging in isn't an option. So far I have $350 or so into mine, not including guns and ammo, spread out over the past year and a half or so. I have maybe $1400 in my guns as of now, and currently about $300 in various ammo. I'm in the market for a new rifle, and hope to be purchasing a handgun this summer (eagerly awaiting my 21st), so I'll (hopefully) be adding those soon!
Come up toward the DC area. Im in Northern Virginia. The traffic here is hell sometimes. And there are very good bug out locations in VA and WV. Check out the skyline drive area. Checkout, VA Gun Trader | Buy, Sell and Trade Guns for Free! for online guns for sale in VA.

·
Registered
904 Posts
As a single man, one of the worst things I ever did was keep track of my "sporting goods" expenses. The error of my accounting became very apparent once I became married. My wife is a CPA and I no longer itemize my "sporting goods" expenses. I don't have any idea what I have spent acquiring the gear for my BOB. This is especially true since only some of the items in it are "sporting goods". The other items I have categorized very broadly as "tools" or "farming equipment" or "repairs". She's a very good CPA, but I am pretty crafty also!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is a bit odd as far as cost goes. Price of items when I decided to make a bag was $1 plus tax then I added another item for $3. The rest of everything including the bag was put together with items I already owned. The $1 item is a travel size hand sanitizer for its normal uses as well as for burn fuel for a hobo stove if need be. The $3 item is a small knife sharpener. The small sharpening stone that I have with my cheap 20 year old survival knife just isn't big enough to do a good sharpening job.

If I were to out a cost on everything from when I bought everything I would guess around $50. 3 knives, a fire pack including a pack of matches, a lighter and a bunch of Vaseline cotton balls, fishing gear, band aids, aspirin, flashlight, gloves, sock hat, 2 bottles of water, couple packs of ramen noodles and I am sure some more junk I can't recall at the moment.

I figure with what I have in the bag and on me I have all the majors covered. Food, fire, water, shelter. The shelter I can chop down with the knives.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Did you know you can build a "wish list" on Amazon.com? Some wish lists you can share and make public. Has any one considered making a BOB Wish List where you can price the individual elements or just buy the whole thing lock - stock - and barrel?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts