Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Coronal Mass Ejection

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Been watching Solar Cycles for a long time....Its what Ham Operators do and I've lived through 4 of em. 44 years worth! The current solar cycle is a wimp...A wuss....So miniscule it wouldnt make a wart on a real solar cycles arse!....Even predicted highs next year are the PITS! Most Distance talking hams are totally dissapointed in the current cycle because it hasnt caused the easy distance talking the others have.

In April 2005 we had an X20 Flare and it did no damage.....So far on this cycle we have had a X6.9 and its did no damage...Chances are it will get no worse and just die out in a fizzle!

#8 · (Edited)
Well I've just recently started paying real close attention. Honestly, I feel and entire global electronic shut down taking us back to the mid 1800's will be the only thing that will save our country, but that's another topic. You have been watching them longer than I am old so I value your opinion. Have you been hearing that we should be having a Carrington Event type flare soon? Supposedly every 100-150 yrs it's supposed to come about and we're due one? Also, the one's that hit in 1859, 1958, and the late 90's was during a solar minimum. So in '05 we had an X20 that did no damage? Was it aimed directly at us or was it one of those glancing blows? Thoughts?

Reactions: jc-hunter
#9 ·
My thoughts (backed up by irrefutable fact) are that CME , EMP and any other fairy tales are not real. Carrington was a small bump in the road and a grid went down for a little while that was cobbled together with boards and bailing wire and hand-laid lead solder to start with. Modern systems are nothing like those old dinosaurs they were using back in 1850. We experience little Carrington events around microwave emitter towers and you don't hear anyone complaining. MY thoughts? Fairy tale. Never going to happen.

#10 ·
For the record, here's a list from the net of major solar flares that have hit the earth in the past-

Sep 1859- Telegraph wires burst into flames, touching off fires .Telegraph machines scorched paper printouts, stunned operators with electric shocks, transmitted gibberish, and continued working for hours even after being unplugged from the batteries that powered them. The Earth itself was no longer "grounded"!

November 1882- another massive solar flare lit lamps, disrupted telegraph communications, and set off several fires on the Chicago telegraph switchboard, melting instruments.

November 1903- solar storm not only disrupted telegraphs and the transatlantic cable; it even shut down Swiss streetcars.

March 1940- severe solar storm burnt out fuses and damaged hundreds of miles of telegraph and telephone networks.

March 1989- a major solar flare shorted out Quebec's power grid. Circuits also overloaded in Great Britain, New York and Virginia. A critical transformer melted in New Jersey.

November 2003- an "X" solar flare, the strongest of solar storms, temporarily disabled many satellites, killed one satellite completely and and burned out an instrument on a Mars orbiter. The crew of the International Space Station took shelter, reporting elevated radiation readings and "shooting stars" in their own eyes.

September 2005- a string of "X" solar flares caused lesser disruptions to major power grids and knocked out the GPS system completely for ten minutes.

June 2011- a moderate solar flare caused minor satellite disruption, unusual amount of static on phone lines.

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/ma...lar-flare-1859

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.