• 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup green peas
  • 1 can of 13 oz. corn kernels
  • 1 can of 12 oz. spam, cubed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 dash sesame oil

1. In a pot, cook the macaroni according to manufacturer’s instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. Pan-fry cubes of spam until crispy and one egg over medium.
  3. In another pot, boil chicken stock. Add macaroni, corn, green peas, corn kernels, and spam. Cook until it boils again. Add soy sauce, sea salt and black pepper.
  4. Drizzle with sesame oil. Serve hot with a fried egg on top.

You can use up your ramen noodles instead.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 · (Edited)
Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Note:
instead of butter, I add a spoonful of Chiz Whiz, or a Kraft cheddar cheese slice (the one that you use for making grilled cheese).
I suppose, smoked sardines or kippers in oil, will go well too for variety in lieu of tuna.

More ideas from comments:

The Walmart Mac and cheese is literally the best. Much thicker harder pasta than the Kraft. I cook mine a method I learned on TikTok. I just barely cover the pasta with water and then go ahead and add the cheese sauce. I boil for about 10 minutes stirring frequently until the water is almost gone. Then you add a big tablespoon of butter and the milk and cook an additional minute. It is so creamy and delicious that way. And about 50 cents.

I have been making that macaroni and cheese, tuna with peas for years and years. So easy, so fast! The only thing I do differently is stir in a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise and it takes the creaminess over the top.

One super easy way to use the boxed Mac and cheese is simply to add canned chili, and you have a yummy Chili Mac!

Buffalo wing sauce and canned chicken

You could also forgo the cheese packet to make pasta salads, soups, etc. and save the cheese packets for something else.

I've done that first one with all kinds of leftover meat canned meat and change up the vegetables occasionally if you get too many vegetables or too much stuff in there
add in a can of cream soup whatever variety it works.

My mother used to make us an easy dish she called, Tuna-Mata-Mac. Fix the Mac and cheese according to box. Add a drained can of tuna and a drained can of diced tomatoes...easy and so good!

If you like squash/pumpkins, try to combine it with mac and cheese i love that combo

A family favourite at our house has been dubbed “Chuckwagon”. Prepare Manwich as if for sloppy joes and mix into prepared Mac and cheese.

mac and cheese is a meal stretcher, when my kids were growing up it 5/$1.00, chopped hot dogs, tuna, ground beef, canned chili, deli roast beef, diced ham or bologna, spam. peas, carrots, beans, corn, you can vary what goes with what and create a 100 different meals... I like the ketchup and mustard trick for cheeseburger in a bowl, my kids liked taco seasoned beef, the granbrats do also... to make it stretch the food budget a bit more I used powdered milk and increased the water to suit... I use the powdered milk and cheese when camping

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
OVALTINE.

Classic Mocca Butter Spread

1. 3 tablespoon butter or margarine (I use margarine), room temperature
  2. 5 tablespoon Ovaltine chocolate malt powder
  3. 1/2 teaspoon white coffee powder
(from Cookpad)

Blanche (Ovaltine-Peanut Butter Shake by Peter J. Chenard)

1 cup ice cube
1 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup Ovaltine
1 pint chocolate ice cream or yogurt
1/2 cup peanutbutter

Blend all in a blender until smooth, adjusting the consistency to your liking.

Also this site offers many recipes for it.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)

With or without the pizza sauce. For pizza sauce, substitute pasta sauce.
I'm thinking of the bread getting too soggy - so careful with the sauce (it might help to spread a thin layer of butter before putting the topping, so the bread won't soak up a lot of liquid).

You can use:

Spam cubes (brown the cubes to lessen grease before using for topping)
Corn beef (brown and stir the beef to also lessen the fat before using for topping)
Ham
Frozen meatballs (thaw and brown or heat in microwave to get the fat out). I find commercial meatballs too fatty.
Pineapple tidbits (drained)
Corn niblets (drained)

· Registered
375 Posts
A trick to preventing the bread from getting soggy is to slightly pan fry to dry up and harden the top surface of the bread, this will prevent the bready from soaking up the pizza sauce, & the bread will not become soggy.

And for the love of Moses, don't put Pineapple or Corn on a Pizza, that's just wrong lol

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Canned Pink Salmon

Note: I have pre-sauteed tomatoes from the garden (with onions and garlic) as a basic sauce - portioned, and packaged in freezer bags.
This sauce is good by itself on rice or mashed potatoes.
Other things that can be simmered in it would be sliced browned Spam, corned beef, meatballs, cabbage or green beans, etc..,

Simple Salmon in tomatoes
  • Saute onion until soft.
  • Add garlic and cook until golden.
  • Toss-in tomato and cook until it becomes saucy. Crush it with kitchen utensil.
  • Add salmon and liquid.
  • Stir-in fish sauce or salt to taste. (Fish sauce is optional) Substitute soya sauce which is optional too.

• Simmer for 10 minutes in low heat.
  • Serve hot with rice, salad or bread. Enjoy!
Here is how it looks like. So many possibilities for add-ins in survival scenarios.

Another easy way I like preparing salmon in a can is serving it right out of the can. In a small bow, mix vinegar, chopped red onions and salt.
Drizzle salmon with the vinegar mixture and it’s yummy! - Today's Delight

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
Canned Pink Salmon

Note: I have pre-sauteed tomatoes from the garden (with onions and garlic) as a basic sauce - portioned, and packaged in freezer bags.
This sauce is good by itself on rice or mashed potatoes.
Other things that can be simmered in it would be sliced browned Spam, corned beef, meatballs, cabbage or green beans, etc..,

Simple Salmon in tomatoes
  • Saute onion until soft.
  • Add garlic and cook until golden.
  • Toss-in tomato and cook until it becomes saucy. Crush it with kitchen utensil.
  • Add salmon and liquid.
  • Stir-in fish sauce or salt to taste. (Fish sauce is optional) Substitute soya sauce which is optional too.

• Simmer for 10 minutes in low heat.
  • Serve hot with rice, salad or bread. Enjoy!
Here is how it looks like. So many possibilities for add-ins in survival scenarios.

Another easy way I like preparing salmon in a can is serving it right out of the can. In a small bow, mix vinegar, chopped red onions and salt.
Drizzle salmon with the vinegar mixture and it’s yummy! - Today's Delight
That second way with the onion and vinegar is good! I like a little olive oil in there, too.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)
Rice and Chickpeas.

Looking ways to use up chickpeas other than making salads out of it .......

These rice/chickpeas dishes can be transformed into so many varieties.
Like adding bacon or browned spam, or hotdogs, or simmering chicken drumsticks in it along with the rice.
Or, making it a seafood dish with canned salmon, or tuna, or baby clams.
Can add corn, green or black olives, and other sorts of beans.
Or, cracking eggs on top at the end of cooking - covered or not - just so enough to have the eggs cooked to your liking.

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
@charito I get the feeling you're the kind of person that comes up with dinners as natural as rolling off a log...or breathing. I hope I'm not bragging when I say I'm that way, too. Just an old wife in the kitchen who's been cooking for years and years.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 · (Edited)
DRY BEANS

With all those assorted dry beans in our stockpile, they can be used to grow sprouts indoors.

My mom used to do that with mung beans. She just lay out wet towels on a tray and spread the dry mung beans over it. No other elaborate washing.
Any trays or containers will do! I did it her way - it works!
Then, she put the tray in a dark place. Then, just leave them as they are.
Just check every now and then to make sure the towel is damp.
It takes a few days to have them ready to eat - depending on your preference.
The tray might need more watering to keep the towels damp.

Browsing online, there are many ways to grow them indoor. My mom's method is the simplest.

I haven't tried growing other kinds of beans - but, I will.

****These are friendly for those with diabetes too.

How high are the Glycemic Index and the Glycemic Load for Bean sprouts?
The Glycemic Index of Bean sprouts is 0, which would be considered as low. The Glycemic Load in a normal serving is 0.0 and can be regarded as low.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts