Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
I've found that getting the rice cooked well is key to a lot of great prepper meals. I learned rice turns out really well if you saute it first in a little oil, then add spices (some I like are chili pwdr, onion pwdr, garlic pwdr, and salt but you can mix it up with others for the sake of variety). Then add the water. Cover, bring to a boil, keep the pot covered and turn the heat down as low as you can get it while it finishes cooking. Comes out really well this way. Thanks katzcradul!

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
That's what my mother used to tell us, too, but I didn't enforce it with my kids. I expected them to try everything, but if they didn't like it, I didn't make them eat it. I didn't coddle them by making something else for them, though. They were free to go hungry.
That's what my sis calls a "No thank you bite." :tango_face_grin:

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
That is the place I recommended a while back, been buying from them for many years.

The Asian market here has an unbelievable selection and plenty of them, one whole aisle is just spices and sauces.

I end up spending the better part of an hour in that aisle alone, my kid uses her phone to translate those that need it.
There's an Asian Market not too far from me, too. They've got aisles and aisles of heaven knows what. Just stuff with Chinese characters written on it. They've got different sorts of live fish, too. There's a big barrel of frogs. No bats, though. :tango_face_grin:

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
I found this at an Asian market and I really like it. Ginger and honey tea. That's all that's in it just Ginger and honey. And with a little bit of milk it's a great pick-me-up up in the afternoon

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
Okay, @SOCOM42 you'll never guess where I was yesterday...or maybe you might! Did you guess the Chinese market? You did? You're right!!! I looked for the stuff you recommended the stuff that began with cot, the stuff that began with bun...Couldn't find any of it, plus with all the face masks, social distancing and language barriers, I thought to heck with it and grabbed the four things that looked interesting and went home. Hold on and I'll post what I found....

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
The first one is called "Dan Dan Noodle Sauce", kind of funny name, right? It was really spicy. I could handle a little mixed with broth or something else. The second one

is called "Yellow Chili Sauce", sounds innocent enough, right? Well, lemme tell you I gave it the old finger lick just to try it out and my mouth started salivating like crazy.

Next thing I knew my head was in the toilet. I kid you not and no, I hadn't been drinking. So that one is going in the trash. I don't know what those crazy Asians are

doing with that stuff but it should come with some kind of a warning. The next one is a soy

bean paste and with a little of the Yoshida Sauce (Costco) I think it's a keeper. I can work with it. I haven't tried the one with the big number "3" on it yet...

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
:vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh::devil:

Yes, some of them are real hot!

Did you not know that most of south asians are called pepper guts for a reason, now you do.:tango_face_grin:

Hot chili peppers and related products are needed to combat internal parasites which are/were food born.

The products I listed are from Viet Nam others are from thailand I also have chineses and japanese spices and sauces..

The two I use the most of are measured @ a 1/2 teaspoon of each in the pot, and that is plenty.
Yeah, pepper guts, lol. Those spices sure don't need refrigeration.

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
One of my girls came up with a nice, simple food storage recipe: pumpkin pancakes!

It's just pancake mix, canned pumpkin pie filling and water. We didn't measure anything, just added what we thought looked like the right amount of pumpkin to give the pancakes a good pumpkin flavor.

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
E.D. Smtih Pure Pumpkin is a diabetic's best friend!
1/3 cup is only 5 gr carbs - and 3 gr of it is fiber!
Gives 70% daily requirement of Vitamin A

Curried Harvest Pumpkin Soup

• 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled and diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tsp (20 mL) curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
  • 6 cups (1.5 L) no salt added chicken broth
  • 1 can (796 mL) E.D.SMITH® PURE PUMPKIN
  • 1 cup (250 mL) milk, light cream or evaporated milk (or, cream!)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook the onion, apple and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the curry powder and cinnamon. Add the broth and pumpkin; simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. Purée with an immersion blender (or in a batches in a blender) until smooth. Add milk and heat gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I do a soup like that in the fall. I add pureed carrot and top with chopped hazelnuts.

· Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,177 Posts
I've been doing a lot of soups these days. I can use preps from my pantry, but often enough I use leftovers from the fridge. I use the Better Than Bouillon vegetable base and put the vegetables into the crock pot. Actually I do two crockpots: one just vegetable (for my vegetarian daughters), and one with veggies and meat. Side of pasta to spoon into the soup at the last minute and/or a loaf of bread and dinner's all set.

Speaking of leftovers, here' a good way to use up old bread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts