Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's okay,

I may send it back though as I really wanted the condor crotalus. But the low drag is a good knife with some heft to it. The micarta scales are nice and grippy. It came razor sharp out of the box. Its 1075 high carbon steel instead of the 1095 like most of the knives I have. It's in the white so if I decide to keep it Im probably gonna let it soak 3 times in boiled apple cider vinegar and then oil it once done.

The sheath is well made.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
It's okay,

I may send it back though as I really wanted the condor crotalus. But the low drag is a good knife with some heft to it. The micarta scales are nice and grippy. It came razor sharp out of the box. Its 1075 high carbon steel instead of the 1095 like most of the knives I have. It's in the white so if I decide to keep it Im probably gonna let it soak 3 times in boiled apple cider vinegar and then oil it once done.

The sheath is well made.

Keep it, that thing scared me just by looking at it, it seems like something that Jim Bowie would be proud to own. I know that I could live with that knife, as a good choice for self defense.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may but if I do I want to apple cider vinegar it like I did my mora as I'm extremely pleased with how the mora turned out. My only concern would be doing the tang to match the blade. I dont see any real way to remove the handles so I'm afraid to dip the whole knife in the solution as I'm afraid it'll hurt the micarta.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heck I've even thought about oxpho bluing it

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I have a few things I bought to "fill in the slots." Truth be told, unless the knife has a bad edge, I pretty much leave the thing alone. My idea is based simply on 'age.' Imagine that you find the 'perfect knife.' You play with it for a few days and realize that the ricasso nicks your finger three times out of five. So out comes the file and the sand-paper on a project that's primarily Gallium Alloys.

Now, about this "coating." Does this coating bother you or does it bother the knife? I have lots of things that bother me when I do a project, and this usually stems from my lack of "practice, practice, practice."

This does present benefits over time. If I am given a knife with the usual simple alloys I can usually pull out a few traditional files and a fine sheet of polishing "polish," you know, for polishing.

BTW, when you're +/-90 percent finished with the project then STOP. Thank me later...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the coating on it bothers me. I don't like a shiny blade.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been looking at those with the wood handle myself. What's the blade thickness on yours?
Bushmaster has a very similar model in 1095 steel so I'm waffling between the two.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no idea but its 1075 not 1095. It's pretty thick blade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts