Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a PSE Chaos a few years back (but sold it) and I'm wanting to get back into bow hunting. Would you recommend the PSE or the Bowtech Diamond? Pros and cons of each? It was always a little difficult for me to set my bow much higher than 45 lbs if that really matters in picking out a bow.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Check out sporting stores/gun shops that sell bow equipment or shooting ranges, see if you can try shooting a couple different bows. If the store / range is worth their salt you should be welcomed with open arms. Maybe try to locate a local shoot / competion and talk to people that really know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Check out sporting stores/gun shops that sell bow equipment or shooting ranges, see if you can try shooting a couple different bows. If the store / range is worth their salt you should be welcomed with open arms. Maybe try to locate a local shoot / competion and talk to people that really know what they are talking about.
I second this.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a MISSON "Craze" which is a compound. Love it. very easy to use. One of the best features is that I can change both the draw length and the draw weight myself and not have to take it in and pay someone else to do it on their machines. That way you can work up to 70lbs if you intend to use for hunting. Compound in my experience are much easier to use than a longbow or recurve, especially since I have short arms and not so tall either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife shoots a Mathews Passion and my Daughter shoots a Mathews Jewel. They are both shooting around 42 pounds and it wacks everything they want to shoot. Just use some good cut on contact heads. The bows do not generate enough KE to properly deploy expandable heads.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Don't know about either of the two brands you mentioned and their capabilities. However I would look at the Mission Ballistic from Mathews. It has about 333 fps bow speed with a 28 inch draw at 70 lbs. It can be adjusted down to I think 40 lbs or there abouts. Its a very quiet bow and a quality one for the dollar that has gotten rave reviews from many Pro's out there. Its also one of the more compact packages on the market from what I have seen. The total ready to go hunting package minus arrows and broadheads is about 549.00 in my area. Just saying...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I'll add another vote for the Mission bows. The adjustability makes them easy to fit to just about anyone.
The best part, they are a division of Mathews and few serious Bow Hunters out there will question the quality of a Mathews manufactured product. They make some top of the line-top shelf bows of exceptional quality and innovation and resale value on them are very good. The one thing on the Mission Ballistic that seriously impressed me other than the adjustability is how amazingly quiet this bow was right out of the box! Its almost scary quiet!!! That's a quality in a bow that will separate the quality high end models from the budget entry level models.

If your hunting this is also something you will find very desirable in a bow. Its surprising to watch a White Tail "jump the shot" from a bow on release and be completely missed by a well aimed shot from a "loud Bow" that hasn't been tuned and quieted down. I seriously under estimated such a quality when I first got into bow hunting as I didn't think it was that big a deal. Much to my surprise it made a huge difference! As such I spent the next several months and much time at the bow shop having my bow tuned until it was very quiet and it made a considerable difference in my success on hunting trips later on. Spending that much time in the pro shop and having this gadget or that one put on my bow and adjusted got expensive after a very short time. I wished I would have considered that factor a lot more when I bought my first bow which was a moderately priced quality PSE bow at the time (1998).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts